Sign in to follow this  
Cuse9

Todd Heap Best Tight End?!

I know most everybody has Gates as the runaway #1 tight end, but before you get to gung ho on Gates sit back and compare Gates to Heap.

Their size, build and age are identical....so we can throw that out.

Numbers from 2005-06

Gates...89-1101-10...12.4 ypc...4 100 yd games

Heap....75--855--7....11.4 ypc...1 100 yd game

Obviously Gates has the advantage from last year stat wise.

Now as for what happened last year and over the offseason.

Gates had Tomlinson to keep drives going (more opportunities for Gates) Heap had a heartless Lewis to stall drives. Gates had a hot qb in Brees to get him the ball. Heap had Boller who could easily be replaced by your local high school qb.

Enter this year....LT is still the rock in the offense which bodes well for Gates. Brees is gone, which means a young, most likely, mistake prone qb in Rivers.

As for Heap, he has Lewis back with a new contract and Mike Anderson to make sure Lewis' heart stays in the game. The big factor is McNair. Not only is McNair worlds better than Boller, but his history shows he likes throwing to the TE. While Wycheck was good, he was not as good as Heap. Of course for Heaps value to stay up, so does McNairs health, but if McNair stays healthy all year I see Heap putting up just as good of numbers as Gates.

Bottome line: Improved QB raises the opportunities for Heap.....Step downn in QB lowers the opportunities for Gates. Gates will easily be the first te taken in every draft, but I think Heap can be had a few rounds later and you get just as good of results....if not better.

McNair is hurt allot. Heap is hurt allot. No real reason to expect improvement from Lewis (if having Chester Taylor steal carries didn't motivate him, how will having a 33 year old Mike Anderson do anything?).

While I think McNair-to-Heap could work really well, they've got allot of question markes surrounding them. I don't think you'll get anywhere near Gates-type production out of Heap.

I think Heap will be a great value pick, especially in TE-optional leagues. As has been said, his stock went up as soon as the ink dried on McNair's contract; McNair has always thrown to his TEs, and things shouldn't change this year.

Heap is by far the best TE McNair has ever had, and there is no reason why Heap should not challenge Mason as the Ravens' leading receiver this year.

Mason and Heap are looking nice in my eyes

i have Heap as my #2 TE so i can agree as he his next after Gates but i doubt he challenges for #1

no.

that would be ben watson.

IMHO I agree w/ Einstein and think that LJSmith, HMiller and especially BWatson in the late 8th, mid 9th and mid 10th respectively are better values than Heap who's going in the 4th on ADP.

10. L.J. Smith TE PHI 8.10.23

11. Heath Miller TE PIT 9.06.35

12. Ben Watson TE NEP 10.05.05

I think Heap is probably a good value pick.... he was last year even though his production was sporatic.. he did end up putting in decent numbers for the year. I think he will be better this year, because McNair is throwing to him, they should be focused on running more and he will start the season healthy (hopefully). If he can keep his ankle in good shape, he should be up there in production.