Sign in to follow this  
Portis26

Chris Brown requests a trade

While I think that Denver could end up trading for Chris Brown, I'm not quite sure why Ashlie Lelie should figure into the equation (other than the fact that he wants out of Denver).

After all, the Titans already have a talented, underachieving deep-threat WR that can't catch the ball (i.e. Tyrone Calico). Why would they want another WR eerily similar to him in style of play???

Plus, the Titans drafted a deep-threat guy with good potential in this year's draft--Wisconsin WR Brandon Orr. Also, the Titans are already pretty full at WR with Drew Bennett, David Givens, Brandon Jones (albeit, probably on PUP to start the season), Roydell Williams, Courtney Roby, Tyrone Calico, Brandon Orr, and Bobby Wade (who will likely make the team because of his KR/PR experience). That's already 8 WRs, none of whom are likely to get cut this offseason (with the very small chance that Calico gets cut...but I seriously doubt that he'll get cut this offseason).

If this trade happens, I think it's likely a Brown-for-Draft Pick trade and will not involve Lelie...just my thoughts...

Actually, I don't think a trade will get done. I expect Brown to be the #1 RB in Tenn this season & move on to greener pastures next season.

I threw Lelie in there because he does have some value & is easily better than most of the Titans WR squad. It may be worth the risk to Tenn that Lelie will pan out & help the team long term vs. keeping Brown for one more season. After all, both Den & Tenn would like to get some value of each of these guys because like them or not, they both have talent.

Think about it. If Lelie didn't make all that noise, he'd probably still be the #2 WR in Denver. How bad would it be for Tenn to have the #2 WR from the 2nd best team in the AFC? They guy has questions, but Brown has frailty concerns.

Calico? He had his shot. Most of us were drinking the kool-aid including me & he failed.

There is at least one if not a few teams very interested in acquiring Brown for his agent to ask permission to seek a trade. Say what you want, Denver is a perfect match. It shouldn't cost the Broncos much especially if they trade Lelie & a 2nd day pick to get Brown.

Because Brown > Bell & Dayne

Plus Brown's price tag will be lower now than after the season is over. If Brown does well (which he reasonably should), he is going to get a bigger contract from someone. Denver may see some value to steal that may help push the team over the top for another SB run.

I'm not so sure about the 'few' teams... but it wouldn't surprise me if its not been discussed prior to making the trade request. The biggest factor is him not having a contract, them re-signing Henry and getting White.

Denver will be the hot topic team, but again, Lelie ain't much of a worm to dangle.. especially for a solid RB. It might end up being their best offer though since they are over a barrell.

I also agree that a long term deal has to be part of the trade, which makes me think that Brown won't sign one unless its with a team he has a reasonable chance at starting with this and next year. That eliminates many of the teams, including KC and HOU.

I guess we'll find out if Tenn can see the forest. Dang trees keep getting in the way.

Tenn put themselves in this situation by not signing Brown to a real contract & putting their eggs in the White basket. How will the team handle a disgruntled RB being the mentor to their future starter? Maybe Brown & White will bunk together in camp. :banana:

I don't see the reason people think L. White is ahead of T. Henry if Brown is traded. Henry is a proven RB where White gonna be a career 3rd down back in the NFL.

While I think that Denver could end up trading for Chris Brown, I'm not quite sure why Ashlie Lelie should figure into the equation (other than the fact that he wants out of Denver).

After all, the Titans already have a talented, underachieving deep-threat WR that can't catch the ball (i.e. Tyrone Calico). Why would they want another WR eerily similar to him in style of play???

Personally, I can't see Lelie being involved in a deal for Brown. But I don't see the similarity between Lelie and Calico either.

Calico is bigger (at least an inch and 20 lb), doesn't have Lelie's speed, has had non-stop injuries, and has always been more of a possession/big target WR. Of his 42 career catches, 9 have gone for over 20 yds (about 21%). Lelie has 168 catches, with 71 over 20 yds (42%).

Much different style receivers; certainly not 'eerily similar'.

Personally, I can't see Lelie being involved in a deal for Brown. But I don't see the similarity between Lelie and Calico either.

Calico is bigger (at least an inch and 20 lb), doesn't have Lelie's speed, has had non-stop injuries, and has always been more of a possession/big target WR. Of his 42 career catches, 9 have gone for over 20 yds (about 21%). Lelie has 168 catches, with 71 over 20 yds (42%).

Much different style receivers; certainly not 'eerily similar'.

Honestly, I really do think that they are more similar than the numbers would indicate (which...btw...tough to establish exactly what kind of WR Calico is exactly based on his numbers because of his non-stop injuries and their subsequent effect--both physically and in terms of offensive familiarity).

Calico is bigger than Lelie, but both have a very lanky-looking build. Both have shown to have the infamous stone-hands quite often, especially when going across the middle of the field. Believe it or not, Calico is CRAZY fast (or at least he was before his multiple knee injuries...might have slowed down a little) and was heralded not only as a redzone threat because of his height but also as a legitimate deep-threat for the Titans because of his speed (think poor man's TO...or at least that's what the hope was before he busted...).

Calico may have the height/weight of a possession/big target WR, but he certainly doesn't have the demeanor (or the hands) for such a role.

Just my thoughts as a Titans' homer...

Why would Houston want 2 RBs that can not stay healthy? They need a big back (TJ) to move the chains on short yardage.

I don't see the reason people think L. White is ahead of T. Henry if Brown is traded. Henry is a proven RB where White gonna be a career 3rd down back in the NFL.

Because the coach has man love for White from their college days. These situations generally tend to bust not blossom. The coach lobbied heavily for Leinart too which is not fair (PC) to Vince Young.

If Brown were out of the picture, I think Henry would compete with White for the #1 RB position. I'd say there would be a 90% chance White becomes the starter by week 3 because the coaches want White to succeed more than Henry.

Put your starter Brown back in there & it's hard to justify unseating him for White. Better to groom White for a season as your GL back and spell Brown on a few plays. If Brown breaks down, you have White to step in and save the day.

Henry's only real shot is for Brown to get traded and White = holdout + Ron Dayne Rookie performance (big fat & slow). At this point, I haven't moved Henry up my draft board one spot.

Chris Brown is a very talented back, who IMO could be a 1500 yard back if healthy on a good team.

Ashley Lelei sucks.

Why would TENN make that deal?

they would not is simply the deal. Brown is the best RB in Tenn right now and they would be wise to keep him. If they do deal him, i could see a trade to a place like Philly or Miami for draft pick(s). If he ever got to INDY on the Turf he could dominate (if healthy of course).

Chris Brown is a very talented back, who IMO could be a 1500 yard back if healthy on a good team.

Ashley Lelei sucks.

Why would TENN make that deal?

they would not is simply the deal. Brown is the best RB in Tenn right now and they would be wise to keep him. If they do deal him, i could see a trade to a place like Philly or Miami for draft pick(s). If he ever got to INDY on the Turf he could dominate (if healthy of course).

If Tenn likes Brown so much, why did they bother drafting White and make an insulting contract offer to Brown? Tenn is about to lose a very good back and get nothing in return at the end of this season.

Is bringing White along slowly behind Brown better than trading their #1 back and making White the starter now? You could argue an upgrade at any position or the best draft pick they can muster would be a wise decision for Tenn.

Tenn should seriously consider a trade offer if it could improve the team long term.

If Tenn likes Brown so much, why did they bother drafting White and make an insulting contract offer to Brown? Tenn is about to lose a very good back and get nothing in return at the end of this season.

Is bringing White along slowly behind Brown better than trading their #1 back and making White the starter now? You could argue an upgrade at any position or the best draft pick they can muster would be a wise decision for Tenn.

Tenn should seriously consider a trade offer if it could improve the team long term.

I never said Tennessee likes him. They clearly do not. I think it would be a mistake to count on travis (i am all done ) Henry or Lendale White to carry the ball.

Accepting a useless player like Lelei for him is insane.

Accepting a useless player like Lelei for him is insane.

So is trading your entire draft plus future #1 picks for one player.

I agree with you, but there are people who draft KJ over Gates in FF too. It wouldn't surprise me if you said several teams are willing to take a hit from the Ashley crack pipe if in the right position. Don't tell me if Denver was to cut LeLei outright, that some other team wouldn't scoop him up off waivers in a heartbeat. The potential is still there.

If Tenn does accept Lelei as part of a trade offer, I'm sure a 2nd day pick will be packaged with him. That way Tenn gets some benefit this year & an extra pick (or ammo to move up) next season.