Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

Need help please on what to do with 2 first round picks?

Through a few trades, I have ended up with 2 first round picks, #2 overall and #7 overall. This is a 12 team redraft with no keepers. Our scoring is pretty standard with all TD's 6 points and half a point per reception. I am still working out some details of a trade, but after my 2 first round picks, I won't pick again until the end of the 3rd round, or I may not pick unti early 4th, but will pick twice in orund 4. My 3rd pick will likely be the best WR available unless there is another player I just can't pass on. With #2 overall I am planning on taking Shaun. I know LJ is going 1st.

My real question is, what to do with the 7th overall pick. Knowing the guys in my league and there tendencies, I think there is a good chance Portis will be there. If he is, I will probably take him. If he isn't, I am unsure of who I want to target.

Normally I would definitely go for another stud back. However, this year so many of th etop RB's have question marks. I almost never draft a QB before round 5 or 6, but I am actually considering Manning at 7. Alexander and Manning would make a really nice start to a team. Should I go for Manning or stick with a RB? What RB should I target at 7? Since I won't pick again for a while, I need a pick I can count on at 7.

I like waiting on QBs, and I don't see a ton of value with Peyton at #7. Just my take though, and I'm usually the last guy or 2 in my league to grab a QB (so take that into consideration with my advice).

SA and Portis is a no brainer, but SA and Barber, Jackson, Johnson, Jordan, Brown, James......or whichever of these guys you like, is also very nice. I don't think there's a WR worth of a top 7 pick, and the RBs will look pretty thin at the end of the 3rd or top of the 4th. I would go RB/RB. Now, deciding who (after Portis) is tough.

Considering Edge's concerns going into this season, the thing I may lean towards focusing on is who is most proven, and that would be Tiki and Rudi. Both of those guys are the most likely to finish in the top 10 out of that next group you're deciding between (not counting Portis), but some of those other guys may be flashier. When in doubt, go for the "sure thing." (not that one of those really ever exists)

Go with another RB. If nothing else, that guy will give you trade value to get a better QB and WR if you get screwed.

There will definiately be another back worth taking with the 7th pick. Look and Ronnie Brown, Caddy Williams, or even Lamont Jordan since receptions are rewarded.

Plenty of depth at QB, and next tier below Peyton should all be available in fourth round. RB is the way to go in this situation. Just out of curiousity what did you have to trade to get the additional 1st rounder? I am trying to trade down out of my 2.1 position, just wondering what I can ask for in return. Thanks.

Any of these guys could be available if Portis is not. I'd love to pair one of these guys with SA!

Ronnie Brown LaMont Jordan Steven Jackson Edgerrin James Cadillac Williams

There obviously would be all the Tier1 WR here also but I would rather have a a super duo of RBs.

HTH

Take Manning. He's safe and if he has anywhere near the year he had in '04 he will carry your team. Having Manning and Alexander is a tough two-some to beat. IMO

I don't know that you have much choice in this matter. 12 team league and you can't pick again until the END of the 3rd round? You HAVE to go RB/RB in the first round. There will be nothing left by the end of the 3rd round as far as RB's are concerned. You could have two of the best RB's in the league and still get a second tier QB with your 3rd pick! This is a no-brainer, IMO. If there were less teams in your league I'd maybe go a different route, but not with that many picks before your 3rd pick, no way. You can have the likes of LT/LJ/SA paired with Ronnie Brown/Lamont Jordan/Stephen Jackson or like you said, Portis. Why would you want to pass on that?

Taking Manning in the first is a source of much discussion at this board. I would never do it with my leagues scoring. Manning has been selected in the first round in my league 5 years running and NONE of those teams has even made the playoffs. In a 6pts for all TDs league he is marginal.

Go RB, Rudi Johson might be available at 7, Lamont Jordan, Steven Jackson among others will bring better value.

Take the highest rated back on your board. The fact that there are questions marks around the league only makes feature backs more valuable. Take Portis if you can, if not Jackson, Brown and Johnson are pretty much interchangeable in my mind.