Sign in to follow this  
wmarkw

Broncos Sign Woods....

Interesting.

from www.9news.com

DENVER (AP) -- It looks like the Denver Broncos are continuing to beef up the wide receiver position because of Ashley Lelie's training camp boycott.

The Rocky Mountain News reports that the team claimed Rashaun Woods, who was waived by San Diego. Woods, a first-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State, has been nursing a sore hamstring.

The Broncos reportedly released running back Marty Johnson to make room for Woods on the roster.

Lelie is seeking a trade and hasn't been in training camp since it opened last Friday. That's been costing him 14-thousand dollars in fine each day.

They're definitely gonna move Lelie now. The logical choice would be Philly, where Pinky can't get the swelling down on both his Achilles.

Frankly, I think Lelie is an upgrade even over a healthy Pinkston. They're the same exact receiver, except Lelie is prolly faster in a straight line, and younger.

I heard compensation for Lelie is expected in the 4-5th round arena.

They're definitely gonna move Lelie now. The logical choice would be Philly, where Pinky can't get the swelling down on both his Achilles.

Frankly, I think Lelie is an upgrade even over a healthy Pinkston. They're the same exact receiver, except Lelie is prolly faster in a straight line, and younger.

I heard compensation for Lelie is expected in the 4-5th round arena.

yeah, but do you want another :thumbsup: WR right after the TO debacle? especially since Lelie is holding out on DEN not because of money, but because he wants to be HANDED the #1 spot - he's not even trying to compete for it!!

Granted, PHI could definitely use Lelie, especially since he is a good deep threat that doesn't get alligator arms as bad as Pinky. But i think just the attitude problems could turn Reid off considering the recent problems...

Doesn't Lelie also have like 120lbs on Pinkston?

They're probably just signing Woods to find out what's going on in San Diego.

They're probably just signing Woods to find out what's going on in San Diego.

Denver's 3rd WR situation is (as usual) crap. The spot is up for grabs between Darius Watts, two rookies, Nate Jackson, and now Woods.

The fact that Denver has never had a solid #3 WR is one of my very few gripes with Shanahan.

Denver's 3rd WR situation is (as usual) crap. The spot is up for grabs between Darius Watts, two rookies, Nate Jackson, and now Woods.

The fact that Denver has never had a solid #3 WR is one of my very few gripes with Shanahan.

I think Brandon Marshall will fill that role, eventually. He just needs to learn it.

Rashaun Woods is not going to compete for the #3 spot. That said, with Rod Smith hurt and Lelie holding out, they need guys in camp to keep their QBs busy.

I think Brandon Marshall will fill that role, eventually. He just needs to learn it.

Marshall will probably be the #3 this year and the #2 when Smith retires. But nobody has proven themselves a worthy #3 over the past decade.

yeah, but do you want another :cry: WR right after the TO debacle? especially since Lelie is holding out on DEN not because of money, but because he wants to be HANDED the #1 spot - he's not even trying to compete for it!!

Granted, PHI could definitely use Lelie, especially since he is a good deep threat that doesn't get alligator arms as bad as Pinky. But i think just the attitude problems could turn Reid off considering the recent problems...

I think the alligator arm thing with Pinky is way overblown. Granted, he is of slight build, and yes, there were 1-2 instances where he shortened up to catch a pass over the middle. But that's not his game. No one even mentions the playoffs from 2 years ago, the regular season numbers he put up alongside TO, nor does anyone mention the great catch in the SB to get the Eagles back in the game.

With that said, Lelie is the same exact player, but better and younger. Besides, I don't feel Lelie is a headcase like TO. Think about it: Lelie is now the #3 receiver in Denver, and he's in the last year of his contract. He will not be afforded the opportunity to showcase his talents, build his stats in order to secure his next big payday.

I think his feeling is that he needs to be on the field for a large portion of the snaps in order to show the NFL that he will be a viable free agent come next season.

Now the sticking point of him coming to Philly is that Reid and Banner will not trade if he's in the last year of his contract. Who wants to give up a draft pick for a one year rental player? Now realistically, I believe Lelie will become a RFA, which means his current team will have time to sign him long term or match any offers that are made to him.

The guy's got some talent. 18.9 ypc two seasons ago is nothing to sneeze at. If Denver does move him, it'll be at the end of training camp. They must be assured that Rod Smith will be healthy, and Javon Walker doesn 't suffer any setbacks.

Woods is really pumped about signing on with Denver. He says the bass fishing in that part of the country is like no other. :rolleyes:

Philly... where receivers go to die.

I can't believe Denver would sign Woods with any real intentions of him keeping a roster spot. First he was traded by the 49ers to SD, then SD released him. Both of those teams don't have very impressive receiving corps, and he couldn't make it there. At best, I think Woods is just another body to throw to so they don't wear out the other good receivers in camp

With that said, Lelie is the same exact player, but better and younger.

so same exact, but yet different and better. He's 2, 2, 2 players in 1.

Seriously, I think Lelie has tremendous upside and would be a good addition for Philly. I certainly think he should want to earn the #1 receiver slot instead of wanting it handed to him.....but with Lelie, Reggie Brown and Jabbar Gaffney - Philly would at least have a servicable receiving group.