Sign in to follow this  
Neek

Picking 9th in a 12 man league...

If Peyton Manning is available, it's a no-brainer, right, with the premium on passing TDs? Otherwise I'd get the highest RB available, probably someone like Ronnie Brown.

Not a no-brainer. take the RB. if you take manning, who are you going to get on the way back for your RB1?

Not a no-brainer. take the RB. if you take manning, who are you going to get on the way back for your RB1?

Probably someone like Brian Westbrook or Willis McGahee, but if one or other top QBs or WRs get taken it could move up to Cadillac or Edge.

The reality is, I'm not sure Peyton would even still be available at 9 because of the rate for thrown TDs. The CC puts him up at 5th overall in our scoring system.

i have the 9th pick too....and i will be passing on manning....i will get ronnie and pray for caddy or lamont to fall.....if not I will pass on westie/willis and take a stud WR.

i have the 9th pick too....and i will be passing on manning....i will get ronnie and pray for caddy or lamont to fall.....if not I will pass on westie/willis and take a stud WR.

If you are only getting 4 pts for thrown TDs than that choice is easy. When it's 6 per...not so easy.

If you are only getting 4 pts for thrown TDs than that choice is easy. When it's 6 per...not so easy.

You're overthinking the 6 per. It really doesn't give Manning that big of an advantage...especially in PPR where stud WRs are even more valuable. The only way Manning is worth the 9th overall pick is if you project him to throw 40-45 TDs, which is highly unlikely. Therefore, Manning is not a good choice there at all.

rudi @ 9 then peyton on the way back up

Rudi at #9 in PPR? No way.

You're overthinking the 6 per. It really doesn't give Manning that big of an advantage...especially in PPR where stud WRs are even more valuable. The only way Manning is worth the 9th overall pick is if you project him to throw 40-45 TDs, which is highly unlikely. Therefore, Manning is not a good choice there at all.

I agree. If I was picking 9th, figure on getting Caddy or Brown, then hope to grab Westbrook or Dom D (depending on the knee) on the swing.

Absolutely take Manning and don't even look back!

There's not much of a difference b/w the RBs at pick #9 and pick #16.

Plus, QB's will fly off the board in rounds 2 & 3 under that scoring system. There will be decent RB's available in rounds 3 & 4.

Any other thoughts?

Yeah, adding two to TDs makes very little difference in value.

From 1996 to 2005, using the standards below, the average difference between QB1 and QB10 is

A - 25yd/pt, 6pts/TD, -2 per INT: 391 - 261 = 130 points

B - 20yd/pt, 4pts/TD, -1 per INT: 373 - 263 = 110 points

Across the top 329 NFL players from last year:

The correlation between fantasy points with 4 per TD -1/INT and 6 per TD and -2 /INT is .997.

The correlation between VBD with 4 per TD -1/INT and 6 per TD and -2 /INT is .998.

The correlation between rank with 4 per TD -1/INT and 6 per TD and -2 /INT is .999.

The only real adjustment adding 2 points to TDs should make is within the position, bumping running QBs up the rankings slightly. Manning can go off again this year and make him worth a first round pick, but he would be worth it in either system.

In my book, 6pt passing TDs with no PPR puts Manning at the tail end of the RB1 run (late round 1). With PPR, he falls to the end of the WR1 run (late round 2)

you should take the player that best fits your drafting style and the one you think will produce the most. no one here has a magic answer for you because no one knows. that is sort of the fun of fantasy football.

if you want to pay me $$$ i can run your team for you.

I would take Manning at 9 with that 6 points per TD. I am in a similar league and drafting at the number 7 spot I am thinking about Manning. I watched almost everyone take running backs in the first two rounds last year and I took the best players available no matter which position and I went to the superbowl, lost, but I got 2nd place money. One guy took DD and KJ with his two picks and blew chunks all year.

:bandana:

If Peyton Manning is available, it's a no-brainer, right, with the premium on passing TDs? Otherwise I'd get the highest RB available, probably someone like Ronnie Brown.

Our league is 6pt for passing td,1 pt for every 25 yards passed and -1 for an INT,our top 10 overall last year was as follows

1.Shaun Alexander

2.Carson Palmer..........345.8

3.LJ

4.LT

5.Tom Brady.....321.3

6.Peyton Manning......312.4

8.Eli........293.5

9.Matt Hasselbeck.....290.6

10.Drew Bledsoe.............285.6

Of our top 25 only 8 were rb's and qb's = 16 with Ferotte coming in at 25th with a total of 220.9

I'm sure there are some variances to our scoring sytems but HTH somewhat.

Like nzoner, my league, with similar scoring system, had QBs ranked in all scoring last year as follows:

In all, 12 in the top 18.

I'd take Manning at 9, then a Jones, C. Taylor, or McGahee on the way back down, and never look back.

just as I thought it's like a 50 50 split lol

It's not a PPR league either.

Decisions....

you should take the player that best fits your drafting style and the one you think will produce the most. no one here has a magic answer for you because no one knows. that is sort of the fun of fantasy football.

if you want to pay me $$$ i can run your team for you.

Thank you. I was wondering exactly why message boards regarding things like fantasy football exist. It certainly couldn't be to bring up topics or questions and get opinions or anything like that. The sidebar explanation of the fun of fantasy football was really good to.

Most helpful

just as I thought it's like a 50 50 split lol

It's not a PPR league either.

Decisions....

Thank you. I was wondering exactly why message boards regarding things like fantasy football exist. It certainly couldn't be to bring up topics or questions and get opinions or anything like that. The sidebar explanation of the fun of fantasy football was really good to.

Most helpful

are you going to ask us who to take in the second round and then ask us to rate your draft and then ask us who to start each week? :huh:

I think I'm with the folks that say the fundamentals of when you draft your first QB don't change whether it is 4 or 6 pts per pass TD. The question is can you pass on Manning (no pun intended) or is Manning the clearcut #1 that you'd rather take him in the 1'st and gamble a bit on RBs/WRs from the second round on.

If you think there are question marks with the other QBs, take Manning in the first. If not, wait till at least the 5'th to take one and load up on RBs and WRs.

I like your theory Einstein...I'm thinkin the same. The only thing...could Westy have a big year? He hired Tiki Barber's personal trainer so he could hold up better this year. I think I'd still pass and take the TO or Larry Fitz in the 2nd round.

I just like ronnie/holt/taylor or foster or dillion more than

ronnie/willis/driver.....

i think that 3 round back can get closer to willis than driver to holt/to/fitz etc.