Sign in to follow this  
Catechuman

What are the pros and cons of flex postions?

The league I'm in is thinking of using a flex postion either WR/TE or WR/RB. I think it's making things too complicated. We're gonna have at least 12 teams.

Roster Positions not including the flex: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Tell me why we should or shouldn't have a flex postion.

Thanks

cause whats the point to having that many bench players...

might as well be able to start one more...

Wow! that's a lot of benchwarmers!

I use a flex RB,WR,TE and like it a lot. Though we only have 16 roster spots, so it's nice to have flexibility. Note that if a RB can be used you are greatly incresing the importance of RB's. Any RB who might play will be on a roster. If you choose WR/TE, you are overemphasizing WR's instead. This decision makes a huge impact on your overall rankings. Option 1, no WR should be taken till the 2nd rnd. Option 2, 4-5 WR's will go in the first.

Personally, I like the extra spot. The more players you start, the more the final scores represent your skill in fantasy football rather than just luck.

When you say flex position, I'm assuming you mean a flex position in the weekly starting lineup and not just the roster. That said, a flex position that includes RB's is suicide. If a team can start three RB's, they'd have a clear advantage of those that don't or can't. If someone would manage to get three top tier RB's in your league, you might as well kiss the trophy or championship goodbye. That team would walk through the league.

BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

^ You should be focusing on this and not the flex spot....

Personally I don't like flex. It takes away from the stragety of starting x number of WRs, TEs and RBs. In most leagues a RB will outscore a WR so you are giving an unfair advantage to the team that has an extra RB that scores better than the WRs on the team. In the case of WR/TE, most TEs don't score as well as WRs so most will start a WR. I like the challenge of finding TE that will help the team.

I know poeple like flex and that is great, I just think it takes something away from the game.

Personally I don't like flex. It takes away from the stragety of starting x number of WRs, TEs and RBs. In most leagues a RB will outscore a WR so you are giving an unfair advantage to the team that has an extra RB that scores better than the WRs on the team. In the case of WR/TE, most TEs don't score as well as WRs so most will start a WR. I like the challenge of finding TE that will help the team.

I know poeple like flex and that is great, I just think it takes something away from the game.

That would be true if you were talking about tier 2 WR vs. tier two RB but generaly speaking the RB in the flex spot will have less talent then the available WRs for that spot. The big difference is that the RBs tend to be more consistent than WRs but if you pick the right WR week to week, you can easily outscore a RB3 on a team.

The flex spot adds strategy and versitility for bye weeks and injuries.

15 bench spots? Are you kidding? My league we have 15 TOTAL roster spots in a 12 team league. We start.

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

1 DST

1 K

So that makes it 9 starters and 6 bench players (which is plenty).

And to answer your questions I really like the flex spot. It adds more strategy to the game and gives you more options.

15 bench spots? Are you kidding? My league we have 15 TOTAL roster spots in a 12 team league. We start.

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

1 DST

1 K

So that makes it 9 starters and 6 bench players (which is plenty).

And to answer your questions I really like the flex spot. It adds more strategy to the game and gives you more options.

We have 10 startes if we include the flex. I guess the commish is just trying to make sure everyone has enough backups. I think a roster size of 20-21 for 10 starters would be better.

We use 2 flex positions - one WR/RB and one WR/TE. Starting lineup looks like this: 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 QB, 1 WR/RB, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 DST. Bench slots = 6.

So, owners can choose to go with 1 RB, 3 WR, and 1 TE or 1 RB, 2 WR, and 2 TE or 2 RB, 1 WR, and 2 TE or 2 RB, 2 WR, and 1 TE. It does give the owner some additional choices.

The system originated in a 14-team league where it was sometimes tough for a team to field two respectable RBs. Nevertheless, most teams went with 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and 1 TE each week. Some tried 3 WR and I tried 2 TE (Cooley and Gonzalez) one week.

Switching to a 12-team league this year, we'll see how it goes.