Sign in to follow this  
ReigningChamp

Advice for 18 team league?

New to the site so hopefully this looks right.

Anyways, I just started playing FF last season and won a very competitive (the others have been playing for several years) 12 team league with a snake draft. I feel confident with my drafting ability, but this year we are adding several players, and are now doing an 18 team league with a snake draft.

I haven't seen any advice on this site from people in 18 team leagues, and I know the drafting process is vastly different with so many players. I dont know my draft position yet, but if anyone who has played an 18 team league before can give me some advice on how to draft the most competitive team with the 1st, 9th, and 18th positions then I will get the general feel for this type of draft.

I don't know what the standard league uses for starters but our league is like this:

QB- 1

RB- 1

RB/WR- 3

WR 1

TE 1

K 1

Team D 1

In other words each game you can start up to 4 RBs or up to 4 WRs...haven't seen many like this on forums.

After reading these forums for a while I am guessing that standard scoring gives passing TDs only 4 pts. compared to 6 for rushing TDs...in our league the scoring is as follows:

Passing TD- 6 pts

10 Passing Yards- .3 of a pt. (100 pass yds = 3 pts)

Rushing TD- 6 pts

1 Rush yd- .1 pts (100 rush yds = 10 pts)

Receiving TD- 6 pts

1 Rec. yard- .1 pts (100 = 10 pts)

Hope that is enough info for all of you to give me some good advice.

Thanks

I tend to think 16 teams is the max for one redraft league, which I'm sure is the general feeling here.

For some advice I would look at some 16 team mocks at Antsports while trying to get involved in a few. Check out the ADP's as well.

why in d hell would you add 6 teams to an already competitive league? I would take the money and run to a new league. Seriously, that league will have virtually nothing on the waiver wire, will be ultra susceptible to injuries, and your draft is going to be a test of wills(or who can take the most no-doz).

I fully agree with all the other comments, but if you are bent on playing, load up on the rb's as fast as you can. There are always wr that will get points.

New to the site so hopefully this looks right.

Anyways, I just started playing FF last season and won a very competitive (the others have been playing for several years) 12 team league with a snake draft. I feel confident with my drafting ability, but this year we are adding several players, and are now doing an 18 team league with a snake draft.

I haven't seen any advice on this site from people in 18 team leagues, and I know the drafting process is vastly different with so many players. I dont know my draft position yet, but if anyone who has played an 18 team league before can give me some advice on how to draft the most competitive team with the 1st, 9th, and 18th positions then I will get the general feel for this type of draft.

I don't know what the standard league uses for starters but our league is like this:

QB- 1

RB- 1

RB/WR- 3

WR 1

TE 1

K 1

Team D 1

In other words each game you can start up to 4 RBs or up to 4 WRs...haven't seen many like this on forums.

After reading these forums for a while I am guessing that standard scoring gives passing TDs only 4 pts. compared to 6 for rushing TDs...in our league the scoring is as follows:

Passing TD- 6 pts

10 Passing Yards- .3 of a pt. (100 pass yds = 3 pts)

Rushing TD- 6 pts

1 Rush yd- .1 pts (100 rush yds = 10 pts)

Receiving TD- 6 pts

1 Rec. yard- .1 pts (100 = 10 pts)

Hope that is enough info for all of you to give me some good advice.

Thanks

WHY ?

maybe I'm in the minority, but this sounds exciting... I'm in a 16 team auction draft, and I love it. I don't know if your strategy really changes much other than you're going to really need to do your homework with those deep sleepers.

My advice is simple.

1. Get the hell out of the league.

2. If you have to stay, convince them to change it to an auction.

3. If that fails, convince them that 2 starting RB and 3 WR = enough.

Ok, as for real advice. I played in a few 18-20 man leagues for kicks just to see what the hell happens when a league is that huge. Wow. Let me say this. If everyone in the league is competent and took into account the number of teams in their strategy (doubtful since this wouldn't be happening if they were), this will be one of the worst drafts ever.

Why? Because 32 or so of the first 36 picks or so are going to be RB. And for good reason. The ONLY viable plan that gives you a legit shot at winning is taking 2 RB with your first 2 picks. If there's anyone worth a damn left over in the 3rd round, take them too. Trust me, you aren't going to care about your WR all that much.

With luck, some of the other owners will draft normally and take the usual suspects (peyton in round 1/2, gates in round 2, top-end recievers at end of round 1/2). By the time their pick comes around for another RB, the starters they have will be something like Westbrook + rookie or Thomas Jones or something.

Make sure you grab DEF and kickers before their gone. Sounds stupid right? In a league this big, you will -not- have any DEF or Kickers left on the WW odds are.

Anyway, as the above have stated, the format is rather stupid and hardly competitive at all.