Sign in to follow this  
thenewlibrahi2

The More & More I Look At This Year's Drafts...

I feel like this year, more than previous years, has fewer players that are serious studs.

After the big 3 at RB, there is a huge drop off. After another 5 or 6, there is a gigantic drop off. In a 12 team league, I draft 11th. I am doomed and feel like tossing in the towel. I'll end up with Brian Westbrook as my #1 rb, and I hate the Eagles too much to draft him. Ok, so someone a bit better will fall to me, but I will be heartbroken if SJax or Ronnie Brown don't fall that far. Then I have to go #1 wr in round 2. By the time the 35th (or whatever it is) pick hits me, who is left as a #2 rb? My oh my, what I wouldn't do to trade a draft spot to #3......

I count 11 good backs: the big 3, portis, barber, lamont, brown, cadillac, sjax, edge and rudi. Throw in peyton and you should still get a good guy at 11, plus you can take CJ, harrison, holt, or smith at 14...

then when it comes back you can take another wide out (if you are lucky roy williams) and someone like dunn (adp 3.12.97) dillon, or addai...

throw in fred taylor or mccallister at the end of the fourth... and maybe mcnabb at the begining of the fifth and you really are looking too bad...

the adp's match here... you just have to make the best positive out of it all...

jdon

thanks jdon, just not so high on a lot of those top 11 backs, and i always love a bigtime #1 rb. last year i had lt2 and sjax in one league (10 team), and alexander and lj (took a chance in 5th, 12 team) as my rbs. now the thought of one of those guys as my #1 scares me. not high on lamont jordan at all, raiders are gonna be bad, aaron brooks? not real high on rudi either, chris perry plays a lot, right? i know those will be my choices at 1.11. however, i would love warrick dunn as my #2. he was my #2 last year until lj took over. we get a 3 point bonus at 100 yards, and dunn hit it a lot last year. i'll take 14 points from my #2 all day with guys like alexander and t.o. as my rb and wr.

anyways, thanks, you make me feel better. was just targeting a different crowd (gates, alexander, etc. this year)

i have 10th in a 12 team league.... it sucks :cheers:

I have NO clue who I'll be getting in the first round..... this is rediculous! Because you don't know how people will draft this year because of the drop-off in talent.

I think you can get two of those 11 backs in that position. If not, Westbrook, or Domanick Davis. At the very least Peyton, Steve Smith, CJ. Holt, TO, Fitz, and then things start to really drop off. Would you rather have your first two rounds come out Caddy and DDavis(since you don't like Westy), or Tiki and McGahee. I agree about the less studs, but I think that just makes it a better year to be lower in the draft. #1 pick is nice, but your second pick could be Moss, Jamal Lewis(I do like his chances), or Julius Jones. all three could have very average seasons.

I don't think it is much different than last season. Go around and ask each commissioner who won their league and most of the time he will answer "the guy with Larry Johnson or the guy with Alexander."

Probably alot of the same this season.

I don't think it is much different than last season. Go around and ask each commissioner who won their league and most of the time he will answer "the guy with Larry Johnson or the guy with Alexander."

Probably alot of the same this season.

I disagree that it is similar to last year. The talent last year had a lot more expectations and quality of RBs before the season started.. Here is a top 25 2005 pre-season ranking list i found on the internet. Way more talent than this year (at least before the season started)

And I had Larry Johnson in one league and didn't win. Regardless, every year, its a hit or miss when it comes to players. I just had more confidence in players last year than this year.

1 Tomlinson, LaDainian SDG RB 10

2 Alexander, Shaun SEA RB 8

3 Holmes, Priest KAN RB 5

4 Manning, Peyton IND QB 8

5 Culpepper, Daunte MIN QB 5

6 McGahee, Willis BUF RB 9

7 James, Edgerrin IND RB 8

8 Portis, Clinton WAS RB 3

9 McAllister, Deuce NOR RB 10

10 Moss, Randy OAK WR 5

11 Owens, Terrell PHI WR 6

12 Green, Ahman GNB RB 6

13 Lewis, Jamal BAL RB 3

14 Dillon, Corey NWE RB 7

15 Johnson, Rudi CIN RB 10

16 Davis, Domanick HOU RB 3

17 McNabb, Donovan PHI QB 6

18 Harrison, Marvin IND WR 8

19 Jones, Julius DAL RB 9

20 Jones, Kevin DET RB 3

21 Holt, Torry STL WR 9

22 Barber, Tiki NYG RB 5

23 Johnson, Chad CIN WR 10

24 Walker, Javon GNB WR 6

25 Martin, Curtis NYJ RB 8

Heres a novel idea, join an auction draft instead of craptacular snake style drafts. Snake drafts suck, and I don't understand why anyone serious enough about FF to be on this board still drafts that way.

Parity in the NFL = Parity in Fantasy drafts. Every team is so evenly matched the individual stats look the same.

After the big 3 at RB, there is a huge drop off. After another 5 or 6, there is a gigantic drop off. In a 12 team league, I draft 11th. I am doomed and feel like tossing in the towel.

That's crazy talk. at 11th, you get 2 semi-studs.

At 1st you get a stud and a solid maybe.

I felt the same way about being 10th in the WCOFF. But the more mocks I participate in, the better I feel about it. I am planning on going RB-WR, so a RuJo/Fitz or RuJo/Owens is likely.

Hell, even mocking based on ADP and using data from competitive drafts I've seen on here to mock with, I've come up with some terrific teams.

11th is an advantage because being so close to the turn, there's only 2 picks. Every time you queue up 3 guys, and you're guarenteed to get one of them. It's also easier to keep an eye on team 12 spot - check his trends. You know if he has a TE and you're eyeing one that you can take [bestavailable] and the TE will more than likely be sitting there after the turn. Same with QB or even RB. If he's WR heavy and you're trying to decide between a WR and RB...take the RB. Chances are that he'll then reach for the next best RB and your WR will be sitting there.

11th is a great spot. And you never know who will slip to you. I'd be thinking upside - Caddy/Westbrook.

Great 1-2

It's certainly possible.

Best of luck - do some mocks and keep your chin up. I think 11th will grow on you. :pointstosky:

I disagree that it is similar to last year. The talent last year had a lot more expectations and quality of RBs before the season started.. Here is a top 25 2005 pre-season ranking list i found on the internet. Way more talent than this year (at least before the season started)

And I had Larry Johnson in one league and didn't win. Regardless, every year, its a hit or miss when it comes to players. I just had more confidence in players last year than this year.

My theory I believe would hold up in that the winning team in the majority of leagues had one of those two players. I believe that happens again this season. Johnson in basically half a season and Alexander each scored over 20 times. Tomlinson also scored 20 but broke down at seasons end. Look at the fact that only 9 other backs scored 10 times, one of those being Stephen Davis who didn't finish. I see that huge gap again this season with so many teams not committing to one guy.

The worst positions in this years draft are 5-9. Reason, Rb's ranked 4,5-12 are just a crap shoot. So, since you are drafting at the turn, you have just as good a chance at being "right" on a 2nd tier Rb as anyone drafting 5-9. And, after the turn, you have a chance at either another crap shoot Rb or an elite WR or Peyton. You are in a great spot. :banana: :clap:

Heres a novel idea, join an auction draft instead of craptacular snake style drafts. Snake drafts suck, and I don't understand why anyone serious enough about FF to be on this board still drafts that way.

That's what I'm doing. I'm so sick of not having a chance to get any of the top players. I've done baseball auction leagues and the draft style kicks ass.

Here is my strategy, my draft is on the 26th.. I have the #1 pick in a 12 man league..

#1 LJ, SA or LT

#24 (WR) Fitz, Johnson, Harrison, Owens, Moss.. Someone who gets 70+ Catches

#25 Gates, if he isnt there the best RB or Best WR.. Whatever I think gets the most points.

#48 QB (Hasselbeck, Warner, McNabb, Eli, Culpepper)

#49 Whatever I didnt take for WR, RB in the third round (I could get a Parker, Dillon, Taylor here)

6th round TE- Heap??

7th round-- A second-Third WR thats gets balls (Jones, Wilford, McCardell, Stallowrth)

8th round- Rookie/Backup RB that would get time if a starter gets hurt.

9th DEF

10TH QB (Rivers?)

11th K

Many are resistant to change. As much as I would love to do auction, and I know several others would also love it, there are 5-7 members of the league who would not favor a dramatic change.

Here is my strategy, my draft is on the 26th.. I have the #1 pick in a 12 man league..

#1 LJ, SA or LT

#24 (WR) Fitz, Johnson, Harrison, Owens, Moss.. Someone who gets 70+ Catches

#25 Gates, if he isnt there the best RB or Best WR.. Whatever I think gets the most points.

#48 QB (Hasselbeck, Warner, McNabb, Eli, Culpepper)

#49 Whatever I didnt take for WR, RB in the third round (I could get a Parker, Dillon, Taylor here)

6th round TE- Heap??

7th round-- A second-Third WR thats gets balls (Jones, Wilford, McCardell, Stallowrth)

8th round- Rookie/Backup RB that would get time if a starter gets hurt.

9th DEF

10TH QB (Rivers?)

11th K

I would suggest that you might want to rethink that strategy.

You won't sniff an Owens, Fitz or Harrison there this year. Maybe Moss, and you'd probably regret it.

I'm confused as to the relevance of this post. Who cares if you're drafting #1 - this gy's drafting 11th, and is asking for advice. You posting this is just an in-your-face that you got 1st pick. Lame. :dunno:

ACTUALLY YOU NEED TO LEARN TO READ.

I never once threw something in his face. He is looking at this year as a not so deep RB class, and I agree.

Lets hear your strategy.

Trust me I said in another thread, I hate having #1 this year.

first of all, relax. You should be focused more on how you're going to steal some great players in the middle rounds instead of your top 2 picks. The first 2 rds basically play out as expected with the exception of the 1 knucklehead who makes a weird pick. You've got a great position in the serpentine, footballscooter nailed this one in his post. its pretty much cliche now, but you wont win your league in the first round.

Second of all, psunate, can i join your league? None of those WRs except Moss will be there at 24, FWP and probably Chester will not be there at 49 and Dillon is a reach that early. And i really dont think Heap will be there at the end of the 6th. No offense, but if this is what you're expecting, you're going to be left scrambling during your draft.

last year i had lt2 and sjax in one league (10 team), and alexander and lj (took a chance in 5th, 12 team) as my rbs.

Sounds like you got to pick 1 or 2 in both your leagues last year. Quit your bitchin'

That's why we don't allow girls in our league.

Here is another novel idea, just because you like something better doesn mean it is better, it just means you are a narrow minded jackoff. It is your opinion. I think auction style drafts suck ass. I have been playing fantasy football since 1997, played in every kind of league there is. Auction leagues suck. My opinion. It has nothing to do with "being serious about fantasy football." It is a personal preference.

ACTUALLY YOU NEED TO LEARN TO READ.

I never once threw something in his face. He is looking at this year as a not so deep RB class, and I agree.

Lets hear your strategy.

Trust me I said in another thread, I hate having #1 this year.

:thumbsdown:

That's crazy talk. at 11th, you get 2 semi-studs.

At 1st you get a stud and a solid maybe.

I felt the same way about being 10th in the WCOFF. But the more mocks I participate in, the better I feel about it. I am planning on going RB-WR, so a RuJo/Fitz or RuJo/Owens is likely.

Hell, even mocking based on ADP and using data from competitive drafts I've seen on here to mock with, I've come up with some terrific teams.

11th is an advantage because being so close to the turn, there's only 2 picks. Every time you queue up 3 guys, and you're guarenteed to get one of them. It's also easier to keep an eye on team 12 spot - check his trends. You know if he has a TE and you're eyeing one that you can take [bestavailable] and the TE will more than likely be sitting there after the turn. Same with QB or even RB. If he's WR heavy and you're trying to decide between a WR and RB...take the RB. Chances are that he'll then reach for the next best RB and your WR will be sitting there.

11th is a great spot. And you never know who will slip to you. I'd be thinking upside - Caddy/Westbrook.

Great 1-2

It's certainly possible.

Best of luck - do some mocks and keep your chin up. I think 11th will grow on you. :first:

that's a nice post right there man... seriously!

I agree 100% with "being on the turn". It allows you to squeeze the most value out of every pick.

We've discussed drafting late (10th, 11th) a few times on here and I believe we're thinking along the same lines.

round1: look for a decent RB and preferably something reliable (leaning more towards Rudi than Caddy)

round 2: take an elite WR. I too am torn between T.O. and Fitz.

round 3: IMO, this 3-4 turn is the critical part of your draft. You are looking to get your #2 RB and #2 WR here. What will fall to you at 3.11? Personally, I'd love to see Chester Taylor, but that may be a reach. And again, it's critical to know what the guy in the 12-hole has on his roster. You MAY be able to wait 'til after the turn on the RB if he's already grabbed 2. I guess, here's a list of guys I'd like to see fall in that late 3rd and the order I like them in:

Chester Taylor - should be a solid #2

Jamal Lewis - another guy that would have to slip, but the revamped BAL offense should help him

Hines Ward - just a kickass #2 WR, If i opt for a WR here, I'll look for Dillon or Addai in the 4th

Reggie Wayne - again, a kickass #2WR

Round 4 - depends on what you did in the 3rd (RB or WR) but if you still need the RB, here's some of what you consider:

Dillon - but you MUST grab Maroney in either the late 5th or early6th

Addai - but you MUST grab Rhodes in the late 5th (in fact you wait for the draft to go down and back and hope Rhodes makes it back to you)

W Dunn - taking Dunn here isn't my favorite thing to do but he omits any sort of handcuffing and gives you more flexibility with your next set of picks (5-6 turn)

Round 5 & 6 - Presents a chance that you may be able to grab Heap (in TE leagues) but it all depends on where your early strategy landed you.

are you looking for a handcuff RB for Dillon or Addai? If so, can you take Heap with that late 5th and get Rhodes or Maroney to make it thru the turn? As scooter mentioned above, watch the owner in the 12 hole (and maybe 11 too if anyone is drafting 10th). This is when lots of QBs start going off the board. If it's a TE league, I'm not planning on taking any QB until later (McNair, Brees, Warner, maybe Bledsoe); if there's no TE, I may look for Eli at 6.02.

Another thing to consider at the 5-6 turn is the possibility of grabbing BOTH CHI RBs. If your master plan has been foiled up to this point and you're still scraping for RB, this may be a safety net for you. Benson would have to fall a bit (his ADP is mid-5th) but you may be able to grab Benson then Jones with these 2 picks.

At this point, your team could look something like this

Rudi

Dillon & Maroney (or Addai & Rhodes)

Owens (or Fitz)

H Ward

Heap (or Eli if it's not a TE league)

As you get into the 7th and later rounds, here's some things I'd look for:

- does Bledsoe fall to you in the late 7th? and maybe still go with Brees (10th) and/or McNair (11th)

- if it's a TE req'd, maybe look to take one of the young/upside guys as your #2 (Watson, Winslow)

- Round out your WRs with guys like Matt Jones (8th round), Ernest Wilford (10/11th), A Bryant (11th), I Bruce (11/12th) or Kevin Curtis (11th).

- Grab another RB in the 12th or later. Maybe Barlow falls (love Norv Turner for RBs), or Jerius Norwood (rookie upside), or maybe Staley or Pittman or Brandon Jacobs (valuable injury replacements and/or TD vultures).

Really, I was dreading being in the 11 spot. But the more I've looked at it, I believe we can come out with a decent team. :huh:

I feel like this year, more than previous years, has fewer players that are serious studs.

After the big 3 at RB, there is a huge drop off. After another 5 or 6, there is a gigantic drop off. In a 12 team league, I draft 11th. I am doomed and feel like tossing in the towel. I'll end up with Brian Westbrook as my #1 rb, and I hate the Eagles too much to draft him. Ok, so someone a bit better will fall to me, but I will be heartbroken if SJax or Ronnie Brown don't fall that far. Then I have to go #1 wr in round 2. By the time the 35th (or whatever it is) pick hits me, who is left as a #2 rb? My oh my, what I wouldn't do to trade a draft spot to #3......

Last year RBs were ranked deep and owners with mid to late picks figured they would get two good RBs. Well it didn't turn out that way and many owners were burned including me with my JJ/KJ picks. I think this year everyone is more realistic on player potental. It is just harder to pick this year but I think owners will be better off.

well, i'm working on a mock draft right now out of position 11. for some reason, portis fell to me at #11. no way, even with that injury, should he fall to #11, should he? the rest of the draft, including round 1, is as follows:

1.11 clinton portis

2.02 terrell owens (might not go after him this year, should have gone torry holt here i think)

3.11 hines ward

4.02 deshaun foster (planning on grabbing williams next time around)

not too bad, would take these top 4 when the real one comes along.

well, i'm working on a mock draft right now out of position 11. for some reason, portis fell to me at #11. no way, even with that injury, should he fall to #11, should he? the rest of the draft, including round 1, is as follows:

1.11 clinton portis

2.02 terrell owens (might not go after him this year, should have gone torry holt here i think)

3.11 hines ward

4.02 deshaun foster (planning on grabbing williams next time around)

not too bad, would take these top 4 when the real one comes along.

thought you'd see Rudi instead of Portis but still looks good to me.

DeAngelo is a must for you.

Also maybe Eli or if TE req'd Heap next round.

nice work.