Sign in to follow this  
My Negro!

Steven Jacksons stock is rising!

Watching mock drafts it seems that Jackson is taking over the #4 slot behind the Big 3.

Jackson could possibly crack the top 3 this year. The Rams schedule is cake.

This is exactly where I have him with the Portis injury. Tiki was already in the 6th spot behind Jackson, but I now have Portis in the 6th spot with S Jax & Tiki at 4th & 5th respectively.

1. Your handle is extrememly ignorant and slightly offensive.

2. STL schedule is def. not cake.

3. Shut up already. Im sitting at the 8 spot and still have a chance for Jax to drop to me in my league.

1. Your handle is extrememly ignorant and slightly offensive.

2. STL schedule is def. not cake.

3. Shut up already. Im sitting at the 8 spot and still have a chance for Jax to drop to me in my league.

Since the Portis injury Jax has been going up in most drafts I have seen. Portis may still be at #8 but I would be worried about that shoulder.

Guest Johnny Holmes

I was not really impressed with Jackson last night. A little disappointing.

Though I do like Jackson, I believe his stock might be a bit high, for a number of reasons. He is coming off a good, but certainly not great season. His performance was very erratic with several poor rushing performances, particularly down the stretch. The St. Louis O-line is not particularly good either. Also, I believe a lot of people see him as an emerging player, in part, due to the departure of Faulk. But Faulk played a very limited role last season.

The things to like are that he seems to be somewhat effective as a receiver, and the will likely play a big role under the new staff. He'll make a solid #1 this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. There is a big gap between Jackson and the likes of proven studs like Tomlinson or Alexander at this point.

Guest Johnny Holmes
Though I do like Jackson, I believe his stock might be a bit high, for a number of reasons. He is coming off a decent, but certainly not great season. His performance was very erratic with several poor rushing performances, particularly down the stretch. The St. Louis O-line is not particularly good either. Also, I believe a lot of people see him as an emerging player, in part, due to the departure of Faulk. But Faulk played a very limited role last season.

The things to like are that he seems to be somewhat effective as a receiver, and the will likely play a big role under the new staff. He'll make a solid #1 this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. There is a big gap between Jackson and the likes of proven studs like Tomlinson or Alexander at this point.

We are looking for someone to step up and sieze the #4 RB spot. Portis is hurt and a coach just said he may not be 100% the whole season. Barber has already stated himself that Jacobs is the goal line RB.

Who is the new flavor? Ronnie Brown? Edge? Or Jackson?

We are looking for someone to step up and sieze the #4 RB spot. Portis is hurt and a coach just said he may not be 100% the whole season. Barber has already stated himself that Jacobs is the goal line RB.

Tiki is #4, without a doubt.

I wouldn't be so concerned with what the consensus thinks. Personally, I believe Tiki is still your safest bet, but Ronnie Brown is a guy I am very high on and will continue to evaluate.

With the Portis injury, Tiki is definately #4.

I'm starting to like Ronnie B. over S Jax cuz Miami's schedule seems easier and he has a better defense to keep him in games.

S. Jax is very good but I feel he might get hurt at nay given time also. It really is a crapshoot after the big 3.

Close your eyes and hope for the best.

I took Jackson with the 6th pick last night in a redraft league (Tiki went 4th, Manning 5th). After that it went Ronnie, Edge, Portis and Rudi Johnson. I kind of wish I went Rudi, a prove back in an explosive offensive. Oh well, at least I screwed the Portis owner by taking Betts in the 10th round.

I don't like the fact that so many of his runs are for virtually no gain. Makes it easy to abandon the run. Almost 40% of his runs last year were for one yard or less. So far in the preseason 5 of his 9 runs have been for one yard or less.

I don't like the fact that so many of his runs are for virtually no gain. Makes it easy to abandon the run. Almost 40% of his runs last year were for one yard or less. So far in the preseason 5 of his 9 runs have been for one yard or less.

Thanks for that tidbit, I think I am going to move him below Ronnie Brown, I had wanted to for a little while now and you brought something to light.

Interesting stat. Thanks.

Tiki is #4, without a doubt.

I don't agree at all with his if you are not in a ppr league.

I thought we beat this to death yesterday. You can't possibly care that in 2 scripted drives to start meaningless games that the guy hasn't done much. Even though in the first game he averaged 8 yards on his 5 carries.

Like I said yesterday for example Rudi Johnson in the same scripted situation in two games has 6 carries for minus 5 yards. If you are going that route then you should completely cross Rudi off any list you have at this point.

And Jackson is certainly not the only back in the league who has short gains on a lot of carries. I am 100% certain Barry Sanders over his career had at least 40% of his carries go for nothing. Does it really matter that much?

I don't agree at all with his if you are not in a ppr league.

I thought we beat this to death yesterday. You can't possibly care that in 2 scripted drives to start meaningless games that the guy hasn't done much.

Like I said yesterday for example Rudi Johnson in the same scripted situation in two games has 6 carries for minus 5 yards. If you are going that route then you should completely cross Rudi off any list you have at this point.

And Jackson is certainly not the only back in the league who has short gains on a lot of carries. I am 100% certain Barry Sanders over his career had at least 40% of his carries go for nothing. Does it really matter that much?

Yeah, it does matter that much. The 40% stat is all last season not based on the two preseason games. Sanders was a unique runner. A large portion of his carries went for nothing but he also broke a lot for long TDs. A long run for Jackson is 15 yards. Hence why Sanders' YPC was typically around 5 and Jackson's hovered around 4 last year. If Bulger is getting 8 yards per attempt and getting nothing on 35% of his throws. And Jackson is getting 4 yards per attempt and getting nothing on 40% of his runs. What's the incentive to keep running him except to try and keep the defense honest and set up the pass?

Yeah, it does matter that much. The 40% stat is all last season not based on the two preseason games. Sanders was a unique runner. A large portion of his carries went for nothing but he also broke a lot for long TDs. A long run for Jackson is 15 yards. Hence why Sanders' YPC was typically around 5 and Jackson's hovered around 4 last year. If Bulger is getting 8 yards per attempt and getting nothing on 35% of his throws. And Jackson is getting 4 yards per attempt and getting nothing on 40% of his runs. What's the incentive to keep running him except to try and keep the defense honest and set up the pass?

From Lihenan's time here I don't believe he is going to operate that way. Remember when he was the OC here the Vikings led the league is rushing.

I think if someone were to figure out that stat among all workhorse backs that it would apply to quite a few guys. And on that point I am not trying to defend just Steven Jackson.

I don't think the stat matters that much. Of the 16 guys who ran for over 1000 yards last season, only 5 of them averaged more than 4.3 YPC. Guys who touch the ball alot are going to have alot of runs goes for nothing and Jackson this season will have more chances than he did under Martz.

I only consider Jackson in leagues where he is available past the 8th pick. He is really inconsistant. Look what he did versus the Giants, the Cards, the Skins, and the 49ers last year.

But then he has games like he had against the Jags. I watched that whole game and was amazed by his talent. I dunno :doublethumbsup:

I only consider Jackson in leagues where he is available past the 8th pick. He is really inconsistant. Look what he did versus the Giants, the Cards, the Skins, and the 49ers last year.

But then he has games like he had against the Jags. I watched that whole game and was amazed by his talent. I dunno :doublethumbsup:

Again I think on Jackson you have to look at the coaches. Martz and Jackson admittedly didn't get along. Lihenan likes to run the ball effectively in his schemes.

From Lihenan's time here I don't believe he is going to operate that way. Remember when he was the OC here the Vikings led the league is rushing.

I think if someone were to figure out that stat among all workhorse backs that it would apply to quite a few guys. And on that point I am not trying to defend just Steven Jackson.

I don't think the stat matters that much. Of the 16 guys who ran for over 1000 yards last season, only 5 of them averaged more than 4.3 YPC. Guys who touch the ball alot are going to have alot of runs goes for nothing and Jackson this season will have more chances than he did under Martz.

40% is high. I looked at a few other top backs just out of curiousity and they were in the 25% range. Can't really blame it on Martz either because he wasn't the coach for the majority of last year. And you can't blame it on the Bulger injury because his YPC was higher in games Bulger didn't start. In watching him play it doesn't surprise me that a lot of his runs go for nothing. If there's not a nice hole in front of him he goes nowhere. He's great in space and makes a very nice receiver because of that but he has trouble finding space on his own IMO.

40% is high. I looked at a few other top backs just out of curiousity and they were in the 25% range. Can't really blame it on Martz either because he wasn't the coach for the majority of last year. And you can't blame it on the Bulger injury because his YPC was higher in games Bulger didn't start. In watching him play it doesn't surprise me that a lot of his runs go for nothing. If there's not a nice hole in front of him he goes nowhere. He's great in space and makes a very nice receiver because of that but he has trouble finding space on his own IMO.

That's certainly fair. I do believe though Linehan is going to run more. I am guessing that Joe Vitt pretty much didn't impliment many of his own ideas if he had any. I really believe moreso with Linehan than on Jackson's abilities that he will have more opportunity to succeed this season. Just my two cents.

Watching mock drafts it seems that Jackson is taking over the #4 slot behind the Big 3.

Jackson could possibly crack the top 3 this year. The Rams schedule is cake.

cake :doublethumbsup:

they have about half their games against good defenses. STL is an 8-8, maybe 9-7 team this year. by no means is their schedule cake. it is actually a bit tougher than last years schedule. i love how others are so high on this guy, i just dont get it.

i love how others are so high on this guy, i just dont get it.

It is probably because pretty much every back this season has some sort of question marks. I'm sure whoever you have at 4 could be just as questioned as this point and some would say the same about him.

Sorry devil about going after you a little. This is my 3rd preseason on this bored and I should know the drill by now. I went after jetsfan28 last night on the same issue. Most people know the preseason is crap and I have to let it lay a bit more.

cake :doublethumbsup:

they have about half their games against good defenses. STL is an 8-8, maybe 9-7 team this year. by no means is their schedule cake. it is actually a bit tougher than last years schedule. i love how others are so high on this guy, i just dont get it.

I don't quite get it either, but who do you have ranked above Sjax? I've got #5 and I don't feel good about any of the guys that will be there for me.

I don't quite get it either, but who do you have ranked above Sjax? I've got #5 and I don't feel good about any of the guys that will be there for me.

tiki and rudi. i had portis(didnt we all) but as of right now i couldnt take him that high. i would grab SJAX no sooner than 6th. JMO. as much as he is being blown up(and for decent reasoning) i think some owners may be dissapointed with his production vs their projection.

tiki and rudi. i had portis(didnt we all) but as of right now i couldnt take him that high. i would grab SJAX no sooner than 6th. JMO. as much as he is being blown up(and for decent reasoning) i think some owners may be dissapointed with his production vs their projection.

I think that is just the point. At really is a complete crapshoot after 3 with Portis being dinged up now. ANy of about a half dozen guys could be thrown in there and a few will exceed expectations and a few will be disappointing.

It is probably because pretty much every back this season has some sort of question marks. I'm sure whoever you have at 4 could be just as questioned as this point and some would say the same about him.

Sorry devil about going after you a little. This is my 3rd preseason on this bored and I should know the drill by now. I went after jetsfan28 last night on the same issue. Most people know the preseason is crap and I have to let it lay a bit more.

Not a problem. Didn't think you really went after me at all, just making your point.

I think that is just the point. At really is a complete crapshoot after 3 with Portis being dinged up now. ANy of about a half dozen guys could be thrown in there and a few will exceed expectations and a few will be disappointing.

Because of the crap shoot at #5.....Manning is entering my mind now at #5 in a league where we reward 5 pts / TD. I just think most RBs are just barely above average this year. Manning is about the only player in a tier by himself this year.

Do we know how many carries he's going to get? I'm not a huge fan of his running style.

Do we know how many carries he's going to get? I'm not a huge fan of his running style.

Like I mentioned before when Linehan was the OC here, I believe the Vikings led the league in rushing back to back seasons. Actually it was 1st in '02 and 4th in '03. This should bode well for Jackson I would think.

Not a problem. Didn't think you really went after me at all, just making your point.

I did the same thing last night and I just need to take a pill and realize most people understand the preseason for what it is, that's all.