Sign in to follow this  
packakegger

Busts you took last year

Does anybody else tend to steer away from players you drafted last year that were busts or just frustrated the he!! out of you?

For example, last year I had R Moss, A Johnson, DD, McGahee....... and the list goes on.

All could perform very well this year, but I am hesitating to take these guys again.

Year after year I seem to take guys on a down year, and then they break out the next year.

Take these guys early, I'm sure they'll all have great years . :blink:

Actually, bust from last year tend to represent great value because many people follow this theory. Sure they should me marked down a bit on your draft sheets but depending on why they failed to perform last year, are still very draftable and could be gotten for less.

Actually, bust from last year tend to represent great value because many people follow this theory. Sure they should me marked down a bit on your draft sheets but depending on why they failed to perform last year, are still very draftable and could be gotten for less.

A lot of times a talented player underperforms because his team is terrible also.(McGahee/AJ)

If their team improves they can benefit a lot from this, and their numbers go up as a result (ground breaking news here :dunno: )

Does anybody else tend to steer away from players you drafted last year that were busts or just frustrated the he!! out of you?

For example, last year I had R Moss, A Johnson, DD, McGahee....... and the list goes on.

All could perform very well this year, but I am hesitating to take these guys again.

Year after year I seem to take guys on a down year, and then they break out the next year.

Take these guys early, I'm sure they'll all have great years . :pointstosky:

I try not to let last years numbers influence me to that extent, Sometimes its tough tho. One guy I stayed clear of last year was Jamal lewis just because i knew he spent most of the offseason in jail and had an ankle injury so it wasnt a shock to me he did poorly. I saw he was going late 1st to early 2nd. Never understood why.

Michael Clayton was the guy i went after in a couple of leagues and he really burned me. I know he had some injuries but that was the one guy i didnt see coming. I hear this year he feels alot better and if he falls to the right spot I wont hesitate to get him. I just wont be burning a 4th round pick on him.

For me the perfect example is on your list. Andre Johnson was a major disapointment last year and will likely slide this ytear because of that bad season. But look at the upside: a guy with abundant talent, a new/better coach, a HUGE improvment at the #2 WR spot with Moulds, an accurate passer (if his line keeps him upright). The fact that he will slip and he has a monster upside means great VALUE!! I'll take a chance on a guy or 2 like that. I won't fill my roster with them.

The core of my team will be NFC WEST and AFC WEST players because most of the offenses are good, and most of the defenses are not.

I won't specifically avoid my busts from last year (and the list is exhaustive: Dom Davis, K Jones, Bulger, DJax), but I won't be taking them as high as I did.

For example: I would still take Dom Davis early to mid 2nd, and I would take K Jones in the late 3rd. Bulger...too many questions concerning injury and new offence, and DJax's Knee scares the heck out of me.

I generally stay away from them, just because I'm sick of them. If one of them had represented an amazing value pick, I probably would've taken them, but if it's 50/50, I'd take the one who didn't burn me last year. And, like a few others on this thread, the list is long. My first three picks were all busts (McGahee, Rudi, Joe Horn)

Excellent question. I was just thinking about this for myself. Last year, I came in dead last, when I thought I had drafted a sweet team. After Alexander, I had Kevin Jones (bust), Javon Walker (injury bust), Andre Johnson (bust), and Roy Williams (bust). The funny thing is, I'm considering those same WRs again this year, and possibly Kevin Jones. Why do I still have faith in each of them?

Depends on the situation, both for the player and my draft. I am not looking to draft Fred Taylor ever again, but if I need to fill a spot and it's down to him and a bunch of backups, I'll take him, cross my fingers and be ready to pounce on the WW. Players coming back from an injury, like Javon Walker or Michael Clayton, I would rate them fairly highly. Players who have been hyped before and still get hyped because they are still young and talented, like Andre Johnson, leave me pretty skeptical. Players who have new coaches or teams, like Kevin Jones, merit a close look. In Jones' case, it might help him a lot (though I have some doubts). One thing that is discounted too much I think is WRs changing teams often struggle at first (sometimes for a whole season), which has me thinking that I need to wait until next year to expect much from guys like Nate Burleson or Reche Caldwell.

It is helpful to remember that the past is in the past. The less attached you are to the joys and hurts players gave you in previous seasons, the better. All that matters is this season.

Funny you ask this question as this is a rule I almost always follow that is up until this year. I had Moss last year and vowed to never take a Raider, any Raider this year as I think their offense really sucks, but when it came time to draft a wr and everyone I had ranked above him was gone I had no choice but to take him and I took Chambers next just to make sure though that when Moss is done I have another #1 to back it up with. Same with McNabb I had him last year too and he is now on my team again. Just depends on where you draft and who it is, sometimes it's just dumb to pass on these guys and other times if there is equal talent left on the board you can bypass them and take someone else.

this is a GREAT question!!!

Last year was a bad year for me...took Andre Johnson in his "Break Out" year. bust. I thhink I'd avoid him this year just because I am still not sold on Houston's offense.

got Duece McAllister late in round 1 (11th pick), and while i don't think he was a bust, would avoid him this year due to shared time in the back field.

TO wasn't exatly a bust, but there's the issue of him being a head case that makes me wary. i dont think it'll be an issue for me (picking 2 & 23), he should be gone...but what to do if he's the best player on the board at 23, or even 26 on the wraparound??? not sure yet. while he was in, he was KILLING the other WR"s in PPG. and now this year, he's playing in the 1st year, the "Must make a good impression" year. so i don't know about him.

I'm always willing to give players a 2nd chance, especially if they slide...so no, i wouldn't rule any out, categorically. but i certainly wouldn't rush to pick them up again!

It's hard to get over that feeling of being burned. Kind of a "fooled me once..." attitude takes over. Then again, if you pass on him and the guy ends up turning things around this year and scoring lots of points for one of your competitors, that's another season-long burn.

Let's put it this way: I wouldn't take a bust from last season as high as I took him last year, but I'd consider it if he fell low enough -- and if there were good reason to suspect that he'd return to form this year. For example, I took Michael Clayton in the 4th round last year and regretted it all season long. I certainly won't take him that high this year. But if he were to fall to the 6th or 7th round, I might consider grabbing him again as a third WR, because I think he still has potential. Otherwise, I'll let somebody else take that risk this year.

I normally stay away from previous busts, but I usually just end up drafting a bunch of new busts every year. This year I think I found alot of good value in players that other guys gave up on.

I landed DeShaun Foster in the 3rd round of my keeper draft (which would be like a 5th or 6th in a redraft). Ya, he's got Williams breathing down his neck & he's injury prone, but as my 3rd or 4th RB, it was easily worth the risk. I've just got a feeling about him this year.

Lee Evans was another guy I had last year, and while he finished strong, I gave up on him and dropped him before his good weeks, so he was a bust for me last year, but I'm giving him another chance this year.

Andre Johnson was definately a bust last year, but I picked him up as my 4th or 5th WR. Good value for a 8th round pick in a keeper league.

Also Picked up Branch in the 7th while everyone else had basically given up on him due to the holdout.

Normally I stay away from anyone with question marks, but this year I decided that I had to take some more chances.

For example: I would still take Dom Davis early to mid 2nd, and I would take K Jones in the late 3rd. Bulger...too many questions concerning injury and new offence, and DJax's Knee scares the heck out of me.

and DD's knee doesn't scare you? evereytime he looks at it, it swells.....

i would take michael clayton is he falls to the 8-10 rd range. i can't believe i just wrote that.

My first three picks were all busts (McGahee, Rudi, Joe Horn)

How was a top 10 RB, even in PPR leagues, a bust? I know he had a slow start...but unless you traded him, he came through in top form down the stretch.

Personally, I refuse to own any Patriots this year. Belichicks Injury Reports were a joke. I'm not too fond of Shanahan either.

I normally stay away from previous busts, but I usually just end up drafting a bunch of new busts every year.

:banana:

I try not to let last years numbers influence me to that extent, Sometimes its tough tho. One guy I stayed clear of last year was Jamal lewis just because i knew he spent most of the offseason in jail and had an ankle injury so it wasnt a shock to me he did poorly. I saw he was going late 1st to early 2nd. Never understood why.

Michael Clayton was the guy i went after in a couple of leagues and he really burned me. I know he had some injuries but that was the one guy i didnt see coming. I hear this year he feels alot better and if he falls to the right spot I wont hesitate to get him. I just wont be burning a 4th round pick on him.

Do yourself a favor and don't take Clayton in the 4th. He will be there at least 3 rounds later. I was bored and did a bunch of mock drafts on ESPN and he never went before the 10th round. In my own draft this weekend he was picked in the 9th. I really think he's going to turn it around and have a good year but why take him that early when you know he'll be there later.

I wasted a first rounder (keeper league) on Michael Clayton last year and most like would take another chance on him in the later rounds.

Honestly can he do any worse.