Sign in to follow this  
ppierce

Strategy this year for those picking last?

I am going RB-RB because the league has 1 QB / 2 RB/ 2 WR / 1 Flex / 1 TE / 1 K / 1 D

Based on our scoring RB's usually go quick and rather get the 10/11 then the 10/24.

What are you guys doing? Rb-Rb, rb-wr, rb-Manning?

Presuming you have a standard snake draft, it would 10/11, 30/31, etc.

Think about what kind of a #2RB you will settle for at 30.

If you go Caddie-Holt or Rudi-Manning, your next RB will be someone like C. Taylor or FWP.

I'd rather have Rudi-Caddie and settle for Chambers, ROY or Hines.

we start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 K, 1 D.

WR's get 1 point per reception, RB's get 1/2 point per reception.

I'm picking #9 out of 10. I'm leaning towards WR-WR at 9 and 12 in the hopes of getting any combo of Smith/Holt/Fitzgerald because it seems that the last couple years in my league the team with a couple top notch WR's did very well (obviously because of the PPR nature). Although psychologically it's hard to pass on RB's early, I think I'll be much better off getting 2 top notch WR's and waiting on the 2nd or 3rd tier RB talent at 29 and 32 versus drafting whatever lower 1st/higher 2nd tier RB's are available at 9 and 12.

The problem I run into is that under that assumption, it seems logical to take 2 more WR's at 29 and 32, again, depending on the RB talent left. Since we can start up to 4 WR's each week, ending up with 4 WR's out of the top 32 draft picks could be phenomenal. And after reviewing the point total differences between RB's drafted in the 3rd through 5th rounds, I'm probably not missing out on much by skipping on RB's until picks 49 and 52 overall.

Last year in my league Steve Smith was #4 in fantasy points scored, Fitzgerald #6, Chad Johnson #8, Boldin #11, Holt #12, Moss #13, Galloway #15, Harrison #16, Chambers #18, Gates #21. That's 10 WR's out of the top 21 in the entire league. RB's accounted for 6 of the top 21 and QB's 5.

Seems logical that if I can get 4 of those top 20 players I would be in pretty good shape regardless of what scrubs I get at RB. Will I win with 4 of those WR's and 2 RB's like Barlow, Fred Taylor, or Willie Parker assuming they're available at 49 and 52? I'm thinking it's worth the shot.

Hypothetical choices going WR-WR-WR-WR-RB-RB

available at picks 9 and 12 - Steve Smith, Torry Holt, Larry Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson

available at picks 29 and 32 - Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Chris Chambers, Roy Williams

avaiable at picks 49 and 52 - Chicago, Jax, Denver, Tenn, GB, Jets running backs?

It's scary but it seems logical.

I would recommend they relax. It is a 10 team league, so a guy would have to TRY to screww it up. I'm not slamming 10 team leagues here, simply stating that the drafts are very easy for the informed. Take what they give ya, and don't look back.

I would recommend they relax. It is a 10 team league, so a guy would have to TRY to screww it up. I'm not slamming 10 team leagues here, simply stating that the drafts are very easy for the informed. Take what they give ya, and don't look back.

hear you but then why should we play fantasy in the first place if it were that easy?

hear you but then why should we play fantasy in the first place if it were that easy?

I am in a PPR 12 man league and I had the 12th pick:

I went Holt/Fitz at 12 and 13. I wound up with CDillon, JLewis, CBrown, M. Anderson and V. Morency as my RB's. My number 3 WR is T. Glenn. I also wound up with EManning and Plummer as my QB's. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I think that stud WR's are as valuable or moreso than a lot of RB's in PPR leagues.

In a ten teamer, take the best available players, which is probably going to be two RBs. There will be plenty of quality WRs left when it comes back around to you in Round 3. I'd wait on a QB until at least the 6th round. Fill out your RB and WR starters and probably your 3rd RB first.

so i luckily just got #9 pick in a yahoo league where all humans are drafting. i went with the WR heavy strategy and here is my team through 6 rounds:

1.9 Steve Smith

2.2 Torry Holt

3.9 Reggie Wayne

4.2 Warrick Dunn

5.9 Kevin Jones

6.2 Chester Taylor

7.9 Jake Delhomme

looks rock solid to me.

I have the 10th pick in a 10 team re-draft.

My Plan is RB/Manning if he's there, otherwise RB/RB.

I don't think any of the WRs are worth a top-11 pick. Plus, I can get 2 WRs like Wayne & Chambers at the 30/31 picks. There is no guarantee that Steve Smith or CJ is any better than those WRs.

If I get Manning & a RB at 10/11, I'll still end up with J Lewis or W Parker as my RB2. I can live with that.

non-PPR can start 4 RBs with 3 Flex spots

i have dabbled with WR-WR and then take a run on RBs but i have since changed thoughts

Roy and Chambers are going to be solid 3/4 round WRs on that turn so i am going RB/RB for sure for the first turn, i will grab at least one of those WRs in 3 and check the value at RB

i wouldnt be opposed to grabbing both but i plan on getting great depth at RB in my first 6 picks

Rudi/Caddy

JLew/Roy

Mike Bell/TJones

hey, i would love that team to start my draft

since i can start 4 RBs i have 4 solid guys and a back up with IMO a top tier WR to go with

QB, TE, K can all wait

i build depth until then

so i luckily just got #9 pick in a yahoo league where all humans are drafting. i went with the WR heavy strategy and here is my team through 6 rounds:

1.9 Steve Smith

2.2 Torry Holt

3.9 Reggie Wayne

4.2 Warrick Dunn

5.9 Kevin Jones

6.2 Chester Taylor

7.9 Jake Delhomme

looks rock solid to me.

i'm bumping this because i think a lot of people are misled on going WR heavy early in a draft, especially in a PPR league. the strategy seems to have worked here, at least on paper. this is my roster in a free yahoo league with human drafters, and i'm comfrotable that 2 of my 5 RB's will be productive enough to start each week and complement my ridiculously good WR corps.

here's how my full roster turned out:

Delhomme, Simms

Dunn, K. Jones, C. Taylor, F. Taylor, Greg jones

Steve Smith, Holt, Wayne. Glenn

McMichael, LJ Smith

Wilkins

Pittsburgh

Not too shabby.

yes it worked out...but you can never get KJ and CT...at those draft position in a competitive league...than it will looked shabby.