Sign in to follow this  
SayChowda

Deion Branch news re: Traded to Seattle

I can't even understand whoever posted that.

And once you’ve been fined and you’re thinking about staying off for 10 games and coming back, you’re going to lose all the money in 10 years.

10 years? WTF? :huh: Is there a point here?

I can't even understand whoever posted that.

10 years? WTF? :pointstosky: Is there a point here?

The quote is from Dan Marino speaking about Branch this weekend. The point is that even ex-players are saying that Branch should come back and play rather than sitting out.

There is a difference between getting what you want while doing the wrong thing and getting what you deservice while doing the right thing. Branch put himself into the TO grouping.

I don't care what Marino says. Any player has the right to sit and get fined if he feels it will get him a better contract. I've debated you on this over the past week and in the end, Branch got what he wanted. A new team and a new contract.

It does work.

Homers might cry sour grapes when their team can't come to terms with a star but I've been telling you that the NFL is a business all week. If Branch would have gone out to finish the season with the Pats, he could have broken his leg on his first day, gotten cut, and never seen another dollar.

Under the current system with no guaranteed contracts, players are going to sit if they feel they're underpaid. It will happen next fall and some homers from some other team will cry that their star "should play for the contract he signed".

The homers can cry all they want, but the players are still going to sit and demand new contracts.

It's a necessary evil of the current system. Deal with it or go watch baseball.

I don't care what Marino says. Any player has the right to sit and get fined if he feels it will get him a better contract. I've debated you on this over the past week and in the end, Branch got what he wanted. A new team and a new contract.

It does work.

Homers might cry sour grapes when their team can't come to terms with a star but I've been telling you that the NFL is a business all week. If Branch would have gone out to finish the season with the Pats, he could have broken his leg on his first day, gotten cut, and never seen another dollar.

Under the current system with no guaranteed contracts, players are going to sit if they feel they're underpaid. It will happen next fall and some homers from some other team will cry that their star "should play for the contract he signed".

The homers can cry all they want, but the players are still going to sit and demand new contracts.

You are right about one thing. Branch got what he wanted. However, what he did is not good for the game and it certainly does not set a good example for his kids.

You have still not made your argument. If every player who feels that they are underpaid holds out, then you are going to have teams with 50% of their roster holding out. The agents want to get these guys new contracts all of the time so that they can get their cut. Branch felt that he was severely underpaid and felt that he was worth more than $6M per season. This is a guy who has had a high of 5 TD's in a season and never more than 1,000 yards.

So what is a guy like LT think that he is worth in that type of situation? Should he hold out for $25M per season? I sure don't see guys giving their bonus money back when they get hurt or fail to perform (Jerry Porter anyone?).

This is not a homer discussion. I gave TO and Keyshawn the same crap when they were pulling their stunts.

As far as dealing with it or going somewhere else, that is another stupid argument. You sound like a Bush-supporter, when they say that people who don't agree with Bush should leave the country. :thumbsup:

Like I said last week, it's pretty obvious you don't have any clue how business works in the NFL.

"He's setting a bad example for his kids."

:dunno:

Learn the difference between a guaranteed contract and a non-guaranteed contract.

Like I said last week, it's pretty obvious you don't have any clue how business works in the NFL.

"He's setting a bad example for his kids."

:thumbsdown:

Learn the difference between a guaranteed contract and a non-guaranteed contract.

:lol:

I have forgotten more about business in the NFL (and probably many other businesses) than you will ever learn in your lifetime. I know that you don't have anything to contradict what I have said, so you say that I don't have a clue :huh:

You are the one who said that "hundreds of players" have held out and have gotten traded or received new contracts. I just can't find those hundreds of players.

The NFL is absolutely a business. That I have agreed with you on. However, guys like Deion will say that they have to take care of their kids, but they NEVER say that they did it because of the money.

Thanks, I was a day late though. :thumbsup: It was not much of a call. It seems to happen every year and very few go beyond week 2. The best thing is someone dropped him in my $100 league yesterday and I picked him right up. I will not start him right away but he should have some value down the line.

I also picked him up on WW, my good man. Yeah I agree he will add some value in a few weeks, especially since DJAX's health is always in question.

The NFL is absolutely a business. That I have agreed with you on. However, guys like Deion will say that they have to take care of their kids, but they NEVER say that they did it because of the money.

Link to where Branch said he was holding out to take care of his kids?

:pointstosky:

Of course he was doing it for the money. That's what I've been saying all along.

It does work.

2 points to make

1. Deoin Branch and the word "star" really do not belong together.

2. The current system in the NFL forces players to live up to contractual obligations, while allowing Teams to cut them at any time, with only minimal financial pains. This is the system as signed onto by the NFLPA. Player are OBLIGATED to play out their contract, or they will be in breach of their deal and open themselves up to fines, arbitration or lawsuit.

If every player who feels he out plays his contract starts to not fullfill their obligations the league will be in chaos. Branch was in the wrong, and i am certain that this type of tactic (utilized by TO as well) will be addressed by the owners in the upcoming collective bargaining sesssion. This behavior cannot stand, or it will destroy the league.

Link to where Branch said he was holding out to take care of his kids?

:lol:

Of course he was doing it for the money. That's what I've been saying all along.

Here you go:

‘‘I felt a lot of happiness and a little sadness,’’ Branch said. ‘‘I feel good about my situation but sad about leaving my teammates. I understand the situation. The organization had to do what it felt was best for the team and I had to do what was best for me and my family. I have three kids. I’m the one who has to take care of them. The Patriots aren’t going to take care of them. Nobody is going to take care of them but me.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I am sure that $1M per season this year and the $8M bonus was not going to take care of those 3 kids. :rolleyes:

I am sure that $1M per season this year and the $8M bonus was not going to take care of those 3 kids. :ninja:

It was a $4 million signing bonus, and an unguaranteed roster bonus of $4 million next spring. If he suffered a career ending injury this season the Pats could cut their losses.

After watching a few interviews of the Pats players, it is obvious to see the resentment towards ownership in the locker room. This Patriot management style of almost bragging how they don't take care of their own is being seen by the players as a negative.

It was a $4 million signing bonus, and an unguaranteed roster bonus of $4 million next spring. If he suffered a career ending injury this season the Pats could cut their losses.

After watching a few interviews of the Pats players, it is obvious to see the resentment towards ownership in the locker room. This Patriot management style of almost bragging how they don't take care of their own is being seen by the players as a negative.

Even if that original offer was never amended, the $5M that he would have made this season would have been enough to take care of his kids. The point was that he should not complain about being able to take care of his kids.

One of the more vocal players is Richard Seymour. He is very underpaid :thumbsup:

The reaction in the locker room is the exact same as it was when Milloy left, Woody left, Law left, etc. I think that the overall plan for the team to not overpay its players is sound when you look at their record. This is a business.

2. The current system in the NFL forces players to live up to contractual obligations, while allowing Teams to cut them at any time, with only minimal financial pains. This is the system as signed onto by the NFLPA. Player are OBLIGATED to play out their contract, or they will be in breach of their deal and open themselves up to fines, arbitration or lawsuit.

If every player who feels he out plays his contract starts to not fullfill their obligations the league will be in chaos. Branch was in the wrong, and i am certain that this type of tactic (utilized by TO as well) will be addressed by the owners in the upcoming collective bargaining sesssion. This behavior cannot stand, or it will destroy the league.

:banana:

Players have been holding out for two decades. It's not going to change because of TO or Branch or Lelie or anyone else. The NFLPA is weak and that's why there are no guaranteed contracts. Seems like your knowledge on this topic is about at solid as fatboy's.

-- Patriots Could be Distracted by Branch's Departure --

Wed Sep 13, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The New York Post reports the New England Patriots could be distracted by the departure of No. 1 WR Deion Branch, who was traded to Seattle on Monday after a summer-long holdout. "A lot of hearts were broken when HC Bill Belichick announced that at our meeting," Patriots DE Richard Seymour said of the trading of Branch, who was holding out for a new contract. "It's not a happy day. He was a Super Bowl MVP-type guy, a Pro Bowl-caliber player. You have to do what you have to do. Business is business." Pats FB Patrick Pass added, "You been to a funeral before? That's how it feels right now. It took a lot to hold back the tears." The departure of Branch, New England's No. 1 receiver last season with career highs of 78 catches for 998 yards, leaves the Pats with five wide receivers - 35-year-old WR Troy Brown, WR Reche Caldwell, WR Doug Gabriel, rookie WR Chad Jackson and WR Jonathan Smith. "We made the decision that we felt was in the best interest of the football team," Belichick said.