Sign in to follow this  
psunate77

Beware Willie Parker owners

Short yardage, Just don't get it..

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_470214.html

Cowher said Najeh Davenport may dress for the Jacksonville game. The former Green Bay Packers running back could emerge as the bruising, short-yardage back the Steelers are looking for now that Jerome Bettis has retired to the broadcast booth. The role filled by Bettis is an important one because the Steelers want to keep starting running back Willie Parker fresh for the entire season. Davenport, a fifth-year pro who missed much of last season with a broken ankle, will battle Verron Haynes and Duce Staley for playing time behind Parker.

Cowher is a fan of the multiple backs, simple as that.

The last time there was no RBBC in Pit was in 01.

I am a Parker owner and dont worry one single bit about Davenpoop ( he could not beat out Gado or Herron in GB cmon he is worthless and will be cut after a few weeks of showing is non talent )

I wouldnt worry if I owned FWP. He has proven that he is the man in Pitt. I only wish I would have drafted him.

Guest MUGS

My question is....Does this spell the end of Douche Staley?

Haynes will still be used as rec back, if davenpoop is healthy, he can also rec

No intelligent football fan thought FWP was going to get 100% of the touches. C'mon now, stop being so naive. Especially in todays NFL, being a smallish type back. It's inevitable they're going to find someone to get some touches other than FWP.

I thought that was going to be the same situation with Deuce when I drafted him, so it really doesn't change his value in my mind. He still has the ability to tourch teams, and Pitt will use him a lot.

I'm not worried about Najeh at all. I'm in favor of him being the short yardage back. As long as the move doesn't hampers Willie's opportunities near the goaline, then I'm fine! It'll keep Willie fresh and more effective.

I'm not worried about Najeh at all. I'm in favor of him being the short yardage back. As long as the move doesn't hampers Willie's opportunities near the goaline, then I'm fine! It'll keep Willie fresh and more effective.

ummm... what do you think "short yardage back" means? it means he will handle all short-yardgage situations most prominently of which include goal-line carries.

Do you really think someone will go from "may dress" to goal-line back between now and Monday?

I am a Parker owner and dont worry one single bit about Davenpoop ( he could not beat out Gado or Herron in GB cmon he is worthless and will be cut after a few weeks of showing is non talent )

:bench:

I agree. Davenport is not 1/10th what Bettis was. This guy has never played a full season so where is the threat.

I'll join the chorus of this isn't a concern. FWP has proven his real and fantasy worth. No RB in the league gets 100% of a team's carries. Injury is the only thing standing in the way of him putting up another very good statistical year, even if he loses a few TDs.

Do you really think someone will go from "may dress" to goal-line back between now and Monday?

Davenpoop might not be much of a factor this week, but Cowher seems dead-set on giving goal line carries to a bigger back (he doesn't seem convinced that the smallish FWP can handle the goal line work.) I was simply pointing out that "short yardage back" means precisely that he will eventually steal many goal line carries.

Willie just lost 5-8 touchdowns and you all know it.

If Davenport gets 8TDs this year, I'll eat my hat.

I guess you don't know football to well. The reason Najeh didn't beat out Gado and Herron, is because he was injured. :dunno: :banana:

You should be very worried. :o

Would that be a "Jimmy-hat?" :cheers:

Davenpoop eh? Isn't he the ex-fudgepacker? Why would anyone be worried about an EX-fudgepacker? If anything that spells relief so FWP can catch a breather here and there to stay healty all season.

My question is....Does this spell the end of Douche Staley?

Haynes will still be used as rec back, if davenpoop is healthy, he can also rec

I think it defiantely does if Davenport is healthy the next week or so.

Parker was never gonna be used in short yardage or goal line anyway, so Dav makes no impact on him

well, actually about a week before the season opener there was a quote from Cowher saying that he felt FWP could handle the goal line work. Many people moved Willie up on their draft lists as a result. Now The Chin seems to have changed his tune.

During the preseason, everyone was pumped up when it appeared Willie would get the goal line opportunities. Make no mistake, this will hurt his value. It doesn't mean he won't be a good FF back to own, but it just brings him down a little bit compared to some other backs.

People will most certainly be angry when they start seeing Davenport in the backfield on 1st and Goal at the 2.

Instead of eat your hat. Say you'll poop in your hamper full of clothes and it's a deal.