Sign in to follow this  
yanivsme

Dayne to start?

Gado is the most talented back they have, if he can look good on a crappy team last year why not this year?

So if you have Wali still, would you drop him for Dayne?

So if you have Wali still, would you drop him for Dayne?

I wouldn't. I think Gado will emerge here. Wali has more upside than Dayne, so I would keep Wali. I am not sure either of them will be great though. Put your money on Gado.

Does Dayne have much worth this week?

You should check out HOU's schedule and ask does ANY RB on HOU hold much value.

The let someone else pick them up and hopefully start them against you.

Things are so bad in Houston that the defensive linemen on the opposing teams are buying Houston's O-Line steak dinners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2598563

Texans likely to give Dayne first start in two yearsBy Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

It has been nearly two full years since tailback Ron Dayne started a regular-season game, but the drought appears likely to end on Sunday for the seventh-year veteran.

Ron Dayne

Running Back

Houston Texans

2006 SEASON STATISTICS

Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD

11 37 0 0 0 0

In search of a boost for a ground game that has struggled in two losses, and which currently ranks 21st in the league, Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak is seemingly ready to elevate Dayne to the starting lineup for Sunday's matchup against the Washington Redskins. It would be Dayne's first start since Oct. 3, 2004, when he was with the New York Giants.

"I just think he fits the mold of what we want," Kubiak said of Dayne, who was signed the week before the season started, after the Denver Broncos released him. "Right now, we need somebody to pound the ball for three or four yards, and we need to get some yards on third down."

The Houston running attack is hamstrung by the loss of Domanick Davis, the leading rusher in franchise history, on season-ending injured reserve with a knee injury. Rookie Wali Lundy of Virginia, a sixth-round draft choice, started the first two games, and ran for 57 yards on 17 carries.

As a team, the Texans, who passed on Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in the 2006 NFL draft, have registered just 178 yards on 43 carries, and have yet to score a touchdown on the ground.

Even if Dayne starts against the Redskins, it's likely that Lundy and Samkon Gado, acquired from Green Bay in a trade last week, will also see action. But the Texans, who have done little on the ground on first and second downs and have seen quarterback David Carr under attack on third-and-long situations, need a spark -- a back who can at least create manageable third-down scenarios.

Kubiak and his staff feel that Dayne, the 1999 Heisman Trophy winner from Wisconsin, but playing now with his third different franchise in three seasons, can be such a player.

In last Sunday's loss at Indianapolis, Dayne carried 11 times for 37 yards, gaining eight yards on each of his first two rushes. The 11 carries represented only the third time that Dayne had posted double-digit carries since the end of the 2002 season. In fact, in the past five seasons, Dayne has fewer carries and yards than he rang up with the Giants in his first two seasons in the league.

For his career, Dayne, 28, has carried 649 times for 2,374 yards and 17 touchdowns. He has appeared in 73 games and started in 14 of them.

Dropped Lundy for Dayne on Tuesday. :banana:

"He's a big, physical player who's always falling forward," Kubiak said.

Its sad when the best thing a coach can say about you is the direction you fall.

Here in Wisconsin, the Great Dayne is much beloved for the collegiate thrills he provided. It therefore pains me to say this, but he is a total stiff as an NFL back. People who keep hoping that he will finally live up to his potential fail to realize that he already has. Starter or no, do not add him to your roster.

Here in Wisconsin, the Great Dayne is much beloved for the collegiate thrills he provided. It therefore pains me to say this, but he is a total stiff as an NFL back. People who keep hoping that he will finally live up to his potential fail to realize that he already has. Starter or no, do not add him to your roster.

Which leads us to FFToday rule #367.

NEVER START RON DAYNE.