Sign in to follow this  
str8playa007

Help Forum is worthless

I go to the Help Forum to ask a question about who to start and got one reply. It's been sitting in there all freaking day. Sorry, just kinda pissed off and wish this forum was like it was back in the old days when there was one forum and you could ask a question and get an answer. I don't ask that many questions through the season because I'm pretty self reliant, but when i go in to ask one question and can't get a "F'Bomb!" queston answered...it pisses me off. Have a good Week 3 guys!! :wall:

[Edit: Changed title to promote discussion to improve the help board. Jump to post #29 - MM]

Edited by Mike MacGregor

I've tried the Help Forum this year once or twice, in an effort to get some input while playing by the rules. Guess what- IT STINKS. I even answered about 5 posts for each question I posed over there.

If everyone on the main board who takes the time to post those "Belongs on the Help Board" responses would knock it off, and simply not reply at all, I think the Help Board would benefit. Too much "Belongs on the Help Board, but here's what I think".

That's funny because every single help question I've ever asked I get atleast 8 or ten replies. Sure I answer maybe 15 help questions first to solicit the replies but I still get the replied. The general consensus over there seems to be "WHIR". You got 1,000 dudes asking help questions and offering to help in return but nobody will give help first. If you actually put aside your own selfish needs for 5 minutes and answer a few help questions first you'ld be amazed how many people will help in return.

:thumbsup:

When will you clowns realize that you're supposed to just ignore forearm rules and ask your help questions here? Of course, you'll get the "Wrong Board" responses. But you'll get a couple replies, too.

Also, if Mike moves your topic to the help board, just post it again. He'll get the point.

I go to the Help Forum to ask a question about who to start and got one reply. It's been sitting in there all freaking day. Sorry, just kinda pissed off and wish this forum was like it was back in the old days when there was one forum and you could ask a question and get an answer. I don't ask that many questions through the season because I'm pretty self reliant, but when i go in to ask one question and can't get a "F'Bomb!" queston answered...it pisses me off. Have a good Week 3 guys!! :thumbsup:

I just checked and you had a response to your post on the help board 7 minutes after you posted it. Did you not like that reply? :huh:

Plus now your post is on the third page and not many people are going to check back that far. Why not just bump it periodically?

I just checked and you had a response to your post on the help board 7 minutes after you posted it. Did you not like that reply? :thumbsup:

Plus now your post is on the third page and not many people are going to check back that far. Why not just bump it periodically?

well, i been checking it and it fell all the way to the second page. I try to post in the mid afternoon when most on there answering questions. i shouldn't have to bump it up..also, look at how mnay people read it, but wouldn't answer it...it blows that people take the time to read it and not answer it. by the way, did u answer it?

what i found works best is to answer as many questions you can with intelligent responses and then leave a link for yours. If someone asks who to start dont just pick one guy and then leave a link because no one will respon back. And if you get the rep of helping back with replies that actualy help, people would be more willing to help you out even if they dont need a question answered themselves. Also, it helps when you ask specific questions and not general ones like, this is my team who should i start, not saying tahts what you did or anything htough.

It's the boards version of tough love. The idea is to get you to think for yourself. :blink:

I'll check out your post and give it a crack.

well, i been checking it and it fell all the way to the second page. I try to post in the mid afternoon when most on there answering questions. i shouldn't have to bump it up..also, look at how mnay people read it, but wouldn't answer it...it blows that people take the time to read it and not answer it. by the way, did u answer it?

No, I didn't reply because I pretty much agreed with the other poster. I have a feeling that people read it and didn't say anything either for this reason or because it's a tough question. It's a given that Smith drastically ups Delhomme's value. I'd have to think that if he plays, he's going to be close to 100% -- otherwise they're just risking losing him for a much longer period of time. That being said, Delhomme is a decent play if Smith is in. Otherwise, I'd take a chance on Grossman. I'm not completely sold on him but you can't deny that he looked pretty solid last week and that defense will often give him the short field.

:blink:

Even when I don't need help, I occasionally stop by the Help board just to give the world the benefit of my thoughts on the weekend's thorny lineup questions.

However, I rarely stick around. That board is often so slow that I have wondered if pages are loaded manually. Sometimes, I have literally had time to step outside for a smoke, stopping at the fridge for a Cheer Wine on the way back, while waiting for my reply to post. I am willing to answer 8-10 questions now and then, but not if it takes 5 minutes for each reply to post. Speed that board up and posters will get so many replies that they'll end up as confused as they were beforehand.

It's the boards version of tough love. The idea is to get you to think for yourself. :shocking:

I'll check out your post and give it a crack.

If everyone here simply thought for themselves, FFToday would cease to exist. This entire forum is a giant exchange of ideas. Any Geek who considers himself above the fray here is fooling himself. I've been playing for 4 years, and have never won a title in any league. I've also never missed the playoffs. I'm good at this, but I'm not immune to making the mistake of looking at certain players through rose-colored glasses. Hell, I started A.Green over Westbrook last week, and felt great about it till the games started. Taking a look at lineup decisions through someone else's eyes can be a valuable tool.

If everyone here simply thought for themselves, FFToday would cease to exist. This entire forum is a giant exchange of ideas. Any Geek who considers himself above the fray here is fooling himself. I've been playing for 4 years, and have never won a title in any league. I've also never missed the playoffs. I'm good at this, but I'm not immune to making the mistake of looking at certain players through rose-colored glasses. Hell, I started A.Green over Westbrook last week, and felt great about it till the games started. Taking a look at lineup decisions through someone else's eyes can be a valuable tool.

:shocking:

please don't ever try to help me with lineup decisions

;)

Wow. I would have though the winky-eye thing would have clued people in it was said tongue in cheek. If you noticed, I took the time to visit the Help Board and answer the guy's question.

:ninja:

please don't ever try to help me with lineup decisions

:D

It seemed so clear at the time. This happens to me every season. Luckily, it happened early, and I've now been vaccinated against the overthinking bug. I still won the game, in spite of myself.

Wow. I would have though the winky-eye thing would have clued people in it was said tongue in cheek. If you noticed, I took the time to visit the Help Board and answer the guy's question.
I'm not taking you to task, I know where you're coming from. At the same time though, I have picked up on this sort of attitude some geeks have when responding to help questions posed on the main board. This rallying cry for a select few to ride to the rescue of all those lost souls on the help board strikes me as elitist. There isn't a guy in this place I'd turn my lineup decisions over to blindly, but I'd certainly welcome a dozen or so opinions about something I was on the fence about. That's all I'm saying.

I think you need to be a little bit more patient with the help boards and you will get your questions answered. Most people on the boards have other things to do throughout the day, and is hard for them to answer all the questions (I am speaking specifically for the ones that said they will answer yours if you help them out). I have never had a problem, and I think if you give smart, concise answers when you help them out, it will come back at you the same. So, in summary, be patient, and try to do take breaks from the boards for a bit.

I'm gonna run over there and answer some questions right now; just have to put some clothes on first. Where is this place again?

:first:

I go to the Help Forum to ask a question about who to start and got one reply. It's been sitting in there all freaking day. Sorry, just kinda pissed off and wish this forum was like it was back in the old days when there was one forum and you could ask a question and get an answer. I don't ask that many questions through the season because I'm pretty self reliant, but when i go in to ask one question and can't get a "F'Bomb!" queston answered...it pisses me off. Have a good Week 3 guys!! :first:

Completely disagree. I've asked several questions already in just the first 2+ weeks and have 10+ responses for each. Most are helpful and some are very well thought out. You must have just caught it at a bad time or had a question that stumped everyone.

I've also noticed that a lot of people have similar personel who went with the players that were relatively highly rated by FFToday. So a lot of people have similar lineup decisions and those people can easily help each other out. I know that my 10 man PPR $ league roster (Warner, Bledsoe, McNair, LJ, Chester, Addai, JJ, M Bell, Holt, Driver, Bryant, Coles, M Jones, Gates, Colston, Wilkins, SD) seems to have a lot of overlap with other guys on the board.

I'm pretty happy with my lineup (esp the WRs) and I have the FFToday projections and forums to thank for it.

Yea it does. When i was a newbie i'd ask for help all the time on the help forum. After a couple of years playing fantasy football you just don't need to bother because you just know it all like me. The advice you get over there are probably from newbies anyways.

but I'd certainly welcome a dozen or so opinions about something I was on the fence about.

I'd suggest there's more value in the thought process than the opinion itself. I'd take one well-thought response over a dozen ill-supported opinions. But I hear you.

I'd suggest there's more value in the thought process than the opinion itself. I'd take one well-thought response to a dozen ill-supported opinions. But I hear you.
True. While I've got your ear, give me your thoughts on this- need a QB for P. Manning's week 6 bye. Have Alex Smith on my roster (at home that week vs. San Diego), but could pick up the just-dropped Plummer off the wire ( at home vs. Oakland). What's the better play?

True. While I've got your ear, give me your thoughts on this- need a QB for P. Manning's week 6 bye. Have Alex Smith on my roster (at home that week vs. San Diego), but could pick up the just-dropped Plummer off the wire ( at home vs. Oakland). What's the better play?

Plummer may well be the better play, due to the matchup, but here is something to consider:

If Denver/Plummer struggles between now and then, is it a given he'll even be the starter come week 6?

Most likely he will be, but that's a risk you'd be taking and would need to consider. I know it's only 2 games, but Plummer is 26th in the league in yardage, and with a 38.6 passer rating. If that keeps up, how long can the leash be? I'd check that pulse before I made a move for Plummer (i.e. do some research on what the rumblings are in Denver).

Something to think about. Good luck.

Oakland definitley sucks but they might be so bad that Denver just runs it down their throat and hardly puts the ball in the air. More than likely Alex will be behind and having to throw a lot. The question is does he get enough time to throw and can he throw any TDs or only interceptions. I'd stay with Alex for now and see if Plummer turns it around because the last guy made a good point Plummer might be watching Cutler.

Yea it does. When i was a newbie i'd ask for help all the time on the help forum. After a couple of years playing fantasy football you just don't need to bother because you just know it all like me. The advice you get over there are probably from newbies anyways.

I've been playing fantasy football for 7 years and by no means consider myself a newbie but on this board I am. I know some of your comments are tongue in cheek but just because your part of the geek squad don't dis the newbies we might not be so new

It seems to me that the help bored has actually gotten more responses per question than it got last year.

Someone made an excellent suggestion that us geeks spend some time on that board answering questions and I have started doing that each day and find it fun to do. Here are some suggestions, tho.

1. Post ALL relevant information about your (or both) teams. I will not answer "should I trade" questions if I don't know how it fits with their existing team.

2. Do not be upset if you only get 1 answer. I generally don't respond if the first poster gave the obvious 'right' answer. Does it really matter if you get 20 responses if the first answer you get is a good one? THE GUY TOLD U RIGHT, STR8 - GO WITH RUDI

3. I don't generally respond to silly questions that have been asked over and over and over. This goes for geeks as well as noobs: learn to use the SEARCH FEATURE people. After 2 weeks, questions like 'Is Colston for real?" or "Jordan's value going forward?" are outright stupid. Been there, did that, bought the T-shirt. OK? (Btw - Jordan's value going forward will be much higher that the direction he has been running so far this year).

4. Understand that this bored is not necessarily the best source of FF knowledge. Become a daily reader of Fantasysportscentral Football Daily Planner and use all the tools. Soon you will be knowledgeable enuf to ANSWER questions, instead of just ASKING them.

5. Too many people expect FFtoday forums to basically manage their teams for them. If you want me to be your weekly FF consultant, I'll do it - for $25 up front plus 50% of your prize money at the end of the season. (Paypal accepted)

6. Understand that very few of the answerers to questions here actually know a hell of a lot more about FF than you do. Remember that opinions are like azzholes; Everybody has one, and Everybody thinks theirs is the only one that don't stink.

It seems to me that the help bored has actually gotten more responses per question than it got last year.

Someone made an excellent suggestion that us geeks spend some time on that board answering questions and I have started doing that each day and find it fun to do. Here are some suggestions, tho.

1. Post ALL relevant information about your (or both) teams. I will not answer "should I trade" questions if I don't know how it fits with their existing team.

2. Do not be upset if you only get 1 answer. I generally don't respond if the first poster gave the obvious 'right' answer. Does it really matter if you get 20 responses if the first answer you get is a good one? THE GUY TOLD U RIGHT, STR8 - GO WITH RUDI

3. I don't generally respond to silly questions that have been asked over and over and over. This goes for geeks as well as noobs: learn to use the SEARCH FEATURE people. After 2 weeks, questions like 'Is Colston for real?" or "Jordan's value going forward?" are outright stupid. Been there, did that, bought the T-shirt. OK? (Btw - Jordan's value going forward will be much higher that the direction he has been running so far this year).

4. Understand that this bored is not necessarily the best source of FF knowledge. Become a daily reader of Fantasysportscentral Football Daily Planner and use all the tools. Soon you will be knowledgeable enuf to ANSWER questions, instead of just ASKING them.

5. Too many people expect FFtoday forums to basically manage their teams for them. If you want me to be your weekly FF consultant, I'll do it - for $25 up front plus 50% of your prize money at the end of the season. (Paypal accepted)

6. Understand that very few of the answerers to questions here actually know a hell of a lot more about FF than you do. Remember that opinions are like azzholes; Everybody has one, and Everybody thinks theirs is the only one that don't stink.

Some good advice here. :thumbsup:

I for one have found the help board much more responsive (seemingly, anyway) than it has been in seasons past. Of course, they've been wrong about Carson Palmer vs. McNabb every week so far, but hey, they're noobs, they can't help it! :P

If anyone has some concrete suggestions on how to improve the quality and quantity of responses on the help board, then I'd love to hear them. And suggestions such as myself, Matt or Mike manning the help board 24-7 are not going to work.

If anyone has some concrete suggestions on how to improve the quality and quantity of responses on the help board, then I'd love to hear them. And suggestions such as myself, Matt or Mike manning the help board 24-7 are not going to work.

Maybe you could pin "hot" players, so that owners could post and view transacactions relating to specific players all within the same thread. Today it seemed that Westbrook, Kevin Jones, and L. Jordan were among the leaders in who should I start and what is X's value. :doublethumbsup:

I might suggest posting some text somewhere visible on the forum encouraging those who post questions to lend a hand by answering a couple themselves, and suggest they post a link to their question in the response. I think most people would be willing to reciprocate when someone else has taken the time to answer their question, but may not think about it.

Also, I'd suggest pinning a post on the main board reminding users that their lending a hand on the Little Help board is appreciated, with a link to the forum. I think a lot of people who don't really ask a lot of management questions themselves tend to forget about it honestly (I know I do), but most are not opposed to lending a hand from time to time, and this would serve as a convenient reminder.

A final suggestion might be to organize a grassroots movement where people could volunteer to pick a day/night to take an hour or so to respond to any unanswered questions that are posted. You could probably include details/signups in the pinned post to help facilitate.

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head to think about.

The thing I find most annoying is the "Kevin Jones is an awesome start. Now go rate mine (link)".

It's like begging for a reach around.

I have found the board very helpful at times and useless at ohters. It generally helps to have a well thought out question. For example, for line-up questions, it helps if you not only say who you are tryihng to choose between, but also include your own thoughts as to why you may pick one player over another.

My real peeve with the board though is the guys who try to answer your post with a quick, "Choose this guy, See mine". Obviously put no thought into your question, just wanted to put something in there so you would look at theirs. That provides no value to anyone.

You know at the top of the main board during the preseason you have a section of just pinned stuff? Well here is my idea...

Have a 10 thread section up at the top of the main board that pulls from the help board. It will only list help questions that have not been answered. Once a question gets a reply it will not show up in this section anymore and only be listed on help board from then on out.

Also, you would have to limit each users help board thread creation total to say 2-3 a day so everyone has an equal shot at getting things answered and listed on top 10 of the main board.

Hard to explain and probably not realistic, but anyway...

Maybe you could pin "hot" players, so that owners could post and view transacactions relating to specific players all within the same thread. Today it seemed that Westbrook, Kevin Jones, and L. Jordan were among the leaders in who should I start and what is X's value. :(

This is a good idea (I think I'm too tired or too drunk to follow what mgs316 just suggested but it might seem like a great suggestion in the morning).

This week there are a ton of TE bye week questions. Would be great to have in depth analysis of guys likely to be found on the WW (Baker, Daniels, Franks/Martin, Pollard, et al). Next week it will be Tiki/DEN rbbc owners wondering if so-and-so is worth a start, so maybe some analysis or ranking of Tier 3/4/5 RBs who are likely on the bench. I think you can definately spot the trends each week (is Colston/Cotchery for real, is Stallworth a must start every week stud, can Rex/Chad keep it up, etc).

Thanks for the expert opinion.

By the way, who promoted you to Geek?

As far as i'm concerned your still a Goof.

Post your teams, so we can see what kind of garbage you drafted this year!

Maybe you could pin "hot" players, so that owners could post and view transacactions relating to specific players all within the same thread. Today it seemed that Westbrook, Kevin Jones, and L. Jordan were among the leaders in who should I start and what is X's value. dunno.gif

I'm not a big fan of this idea. For instance; If LJ gets hurt--- if there were ONLY one thread devoted to it; in 12 hours it would be 200 posts long; and there would be a pretty good chance it would degenerate into a namecalling war by the end so the thread would be ruined anyway.

As now; If you have multiple posts; they each have their own little twist and the better threads succeed and stay at the top and those that suck will fall of anyway.

NOW....

As far as how to help the help board --- Clearly the mods can't man it 24/7; but perhaps you guys could promote 10 guys or so to 'helper' status instead of 'ff geek' or whatever you want to call them. Since this title would give them slightly elevated board status it will also make these 10 guys or so more inclined to troll the help board being helpful. People love attention and being one of the few selected 'helpers' would give them attention and also keep them posting where they are kings - the help board.

Thanks for the expert opinion.

By the way, who promoted you to Geek?

As far as i'm concerned your still a Goof.

Post your teams, so we can see what kind of garbage you drafted this year!

Since you insist, hate to brag, but it is my pleasure:

Team 1 - 12 man league 14 player roster, standard scoring - record 2-0

Peyton, Brees

McGahee, Chester, Jordan

Galloway, Bryant, Jones, Williamson, Brown, Reg Williams

Des Clark, Carney, BALT

Team 2 - 12 man league, 16 player rosters, flex with ppr scoring - Also 2-0

Warner, Smith, Carr

LT, Bush, K.Jones, Dillon, Maroney, F.Taylor

T.O., Driver Bryant

Colston (TE/WR) , Des Clark

Stover, MIA

Team 3 - 12 man Keeper (keep 8) league, 16 player rosters, flex with ppr scoring - record 1-1

Favre, Grossman, Smith

Both Taylors, Deuce, M.Bell

Wayne, Driver, RoyWill, Williamson, Jones, Jennings, Colston (TE/WR)

Rackers, MIA

My record last 4 years: 8 straight playoffs, 4 finals, 2 championships.

But another pet peeve of mine is people who flame a poster and take the thread completely off topic> And what bug exactly do you have up your azz?