Sign in to follow this  
davebg

Dir of Latin American Coalition in Charlotte: "They used to say,

Oh...I see. Enforcing the law is discriminatory. It would be much better if we didn't focus on the problem of illegal immigration, for which the Latin community is ground zero. That way we could go back to when everybody focused on the problem that the blacks caused, instead of paying attention to the latinos who break the law every day that they're illegally in the country. :mad:

CHARLOTTE - Police here operated for years under what amounts to a "don't ask, don't tell" policy toward illegal immigrants.

But that accommodation for the burgeoning illegal population ended abruptly in April, when the Mecklenburg County sheriff's office began to enforce immigration law, placing more than 100 people a month into deportation proceedings. Some of them had been charged with violent crimes, others with traffic infractions.

Some Latino leaders say the program here is contributing to a discriminatory climate in which Hispanic drivers feel as if they are being "hunted" by police. And some law enforcement agencies elsewhere have rejected that enforcement function, saying such programs would rupture any trust that agencies have developed in Latino neighborhoods.

But advocates see it as a way to catch illegal immigrants who slip through the porous federal enforcement measures but run afoul of state or local police.

Mecklenburg County Sheriff Jim Pendergraph says there should be little sympathy for illegal immigrants caught by his program: They have already broken the law once by being here illegally, and then been arrested on suspicion of another crime.

"When any of them cross that border without proper documentation, they've violated the law -- however insignificant it may seem to some people," he said. "I've heard sad stories about folks wanting to come up here and have a better life and earn money for their family. I've arrested bank robbers who've had the same excuse."

While the program has led to the removal of many illegal immigrants charged with felonies, people arrested for lesser charges such as traffic violations are also subject to deportation. That, according to Hispanic leaders, has created a constant worry for people who are in the United States illegally and now fear deportation after a simple traffic stop.

Many illegal immigrants lack valid licenses. As a result, they now risk not only arrest but also deportation whenever they drive.

"It's tense, very tense," said Angeles Ortega-Moore, director of the Latin American Coalition in Charlotte. "It used to be everybody here loved the Latinos. They would say, 'We like you more than the blacks.' Now we're like the Big Bad Wolf."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15022093/

I guess it's OK to pull the race card in an effort to turn back the clock to a time when a different group was being racially discriminated against. :P

I guess it's OK to pull the race card in an effort to turn back the clock to a time when a different group was being racially discriminated against. :argue:

yeah i think folks here only care if the race card is played by a :cry: then, the outrage and disgust is palpable.

they prolly agree with what this guy said anyways. there's another thread today where someone called a whole city a "shithole" because there are some minorities there. yeah, we're real sophisticated. :lol:

While the program has led to the removal of many illegal immigrants charged with felonies, people arrested for lesser charges such as traffic violations are also subject to deportation. That, according to Hispanic leaders, has created a constant worry for people who are in the United States illegally and now fear deportation after a simple traffic stop.

So, Hispanic leaders are saying it's a bad thing that illegal aliens are worrying about being deported? That once they are here they should be living footloose and fancy-free without a care?

That can't be right... can it?

Oh...I see. Enforcing the law is discriminatory. It would be much better if we didn't focus on the problem of illegal immigration, for which the Latin community is ground zero. That way we could go back to when everybody focused on the problem that the blacks caused, instead of paying attention to the latinos who break the law every day that they're illegally in the country. :dunno:

This coming from a guy who was asking for legal advice on how to skirt public school residency laws for the daughter of a Brazilian immigrant? I'm confused. :mad:

This coming from a guy who was asking for legal advice on how to skirt public school residency laws for the daughter of a Brazilian immigrant? I'm confused. :thumbsdown:

That had nothing to do w/race...other than the fact that this poor girl couldn't go to her public school b/c it's in the ghetto. ;)

ETA: And my cleaning lady is in the country legally.

That had nothing to do w/race...other than the fact that this poor girl couldn't go to her public school b/c it's in the ghetto. ;)

ETA: And my cleaning lady is in the country legally.

I didn't say she was illegal. I just said she was an immigrant. That fact that she lives in the ghetto makes it ok to ignore the law? If so, then maybe the illegals in Charlotte left their countries because these countries possessed similar qualities as US ghettos, i.e. high crime, poverty, no opportunity. Why then aren't you sympathetic to their cause?

I don't really care either way. I was just taken aback when I saw your original post. I agree with you, just made me curious. Send them back! Send them back! :thumbsdown:

I didn't say she was illegal. I just said she was an immigrant. That fact that she lives in the ghetto makes it ok to ignore the law?

But I didn't break the law (or at least that law :blink: .) I merely inquired as to the legality of it all.

ETA: And I started this thread more to talk about the racist comments coming from these groups who are presenting themselves as defending minorities against racism, rather than discussing the whole immigration issue (for which I have always advocated sending the illegal immigrants back.)

But I didn't break the law (or at least that law :dunno: .) I merely inquired as to the legality of it all.

ETA: And I started this thread more to talk about the racist comments coming from these groups who are presenting themselves as defending minorities against racism, rather than discussing the whole immigration issue (for which I have always advocated sending the illegal immigrants back.)

Why are you so worried about minority ethnic groups being racist? Do you think being a member of an minority ethnic group exempts you from looking down on another group?

Why are you so worried about minority ethnic groups being racist? Do you think being a member of an minority ethnic group exempts you from looking down on another group?

Just trying to point out the hypocricy of the stances that are being taken in the name of illegal immigrants and hoping that some of the sheep that are buying into their crap will wake up one of these days.