Sign in to follow this  
the hitman

League scoring problem - take a look

Our commish screwed up setting the scoring rules for our league on the website. We use espn. He marked the box "fumble" and awards 1 point. He also marked the box "fumble recovered" and awards 1 point. We do use fumble recovered by the defense/special teams for 1 point. Long story short. A game was tied on this week and Team A wins on tiebreaker of most bench points. I look over the game in detail because it is so close. I see delhomme was given 6 points and not 5. He had 149 passing yards, no rushing yards and we are not penalized for int's. He should get 5 points (1pt for 25 yds passing). Well the website gives him 6 because he fumbled once.

This is the first time we caught this because it is the first real close game believe it or not. If we change it to no points for fumbles (like it should have been all along) the result of this game changes (Team B gets the win) but no other previous game this year changes. What should be done?

Our commish screwed up ....

...What should be done?

Get a new commish.

Quick, grab Culpepper off the WW and pray that he starts again this year. If so, you're looking good with that 1 point per fumble... :pointstosky:

NICE!!! :P :clap:

Yeah, change the scoring back to the way it should have been from the beginning, sorry Team A, should have started one of those bench performers.

Also... bench points seems like an unfair tie-breaker, what if the majority of the bench is on a bye? Our league just uses home field advantage, home team wins all ties.

Yeah, change the scoring back to the way it should have been from the beginning, sorry Team A, should have started one of those bench performers.

Also... bench points seems like an unfair tie-breaker, what if the majority of the bench is on a bye? Our league just uses home field advantage, home team wins all ties.

Agree that bench points is an unfair tiebreaker due to bye weeks - but how is "home" team winning any more fair. Until you get to the playoffs and somebody has earned home field, it is an arbitrary designation. This has been a long running debate in our league. My preference is to 1 - use decimal scoring to minimize number of ties, 2-if a tie does occur, either a) let the tie stand (my personal preference because if two teams actually score the same amount then let them each get a half a win) or :rolleyes: use total TDs scored as the tiebreaker. We are trying the TDs tiebreaker in my league this year because most of the league does not like ties - but we have not had any ties to break yet.

There's no way Team A should get a benefit while Team B gets penalized for a mistake made by your commissioner in the entry of points in the scoring system. Your league should comply with its rules, not a scoring glitch created by an error. Otherwise, the effect is basically the same as a rule change unilaterally implemented by the commissioner without the approval of the rest of the league.

There's no way Team A should get a benefit while Team B gets penalized for a mistake made by your commissioner in the entry of points in the scoring system. Your league should comply with its rules, not a scoring glitch created by an error. Otherwise, the effect is basically the same as a rule change unilaterally implemented by the commissioner without the approval of the rest of the league.

I believe most owners would agree that players should not get a point for fumbling the football. :rolleyes:

And you're a complete focking moron, too.

It's a data entry error that should be corrected no matter how far back or what games are affected. The entire league knows the rule and should not be bound by an error that can easily be corrected.

Many years ago I had a similar situation based upon length of TD scoring where I had an overlap. If a TD was scored exactly on any 20-yard increment (20, 40, 60, 80)... an owner would get DOUBLE the points. A jackhole like "Outtaluck" would say "YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT." Wrong. You change it because everyone knows exactly how the rule should have been entered.

If your owners can't handle that change, fold the league up and try again next year.

And you're a complete focking moron, too.

It's a data entry error that should be corrected no matter how far back or what games are affected. The entire league knows the rule and should not be bound by an error that can easily be corrected.

Many years ago I had a similar situation based upon length of TD scoring where I had an overlap. If a TD was scored exactly on any 20-yard increment (20, 40, 60, 80)... an owner would get DOUBLE the points. A jackhole like "Outtaluck" would say "YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT." Wrong. You change it because everyone knows exactly how the rule should have been entered.

If your owners can't handle that change, fold the league up and try again next year.

I think you'd better re-read my post, Mephisto, although thank you for your kind, mature descriptions of me as a "focking moron" and "jackhole". :thumbsup:

I guess I'd better translate my former response into easier to read syllables--I agreed that Team A should not win because of a scoring mistake. Is that clearer? :blink:

I'm assuming the two teams are bi(ching about the rule. The rule needs to be changed and Team A needs to grow a pair and be a man about it as it was an honest mistake.

Agree that bench points is an unfair tiebreaker due to bye weeks - but how is "home" team winning any more fair. Until you get to the playoffs and somebody has earned home field, it is an arbitrary designation. This has been a long running debate in our league. My preference is to 1 - use decimal scoring to minimize number of ties, 2-if a tie does occur, either a) let the tie stand (my personal preference because if two teams actually score the same amount then let them each get a half a win) or :cheers: use total TDs scored as the tiebreaker. We are trying the TDs tiebreaker in my league this year because most of the league does not like ties - but we have not had any ties to break yet.

It is just the luck of the draw in the regular season, afterall there are very few ties to begin with, so it's as fair as flipping a coin, or rock paper scissors. I guess we could go with bare knuckle fist fighting, or wife/girlfriend tossing. In the play-offs is the best way to go, because you've earned the home field advantage. (by being a good wife/girlfriend tosser.)

Total TDs sounds pretty good, but most yardage is as fair also. I like the NHL approch... go to the shoot-out.

Wow, commish has pretty much decided not to change the rule. Pretty weak.

Very weak, I guess Gore really becomes a stud in your league now. How do you justify rewarding a player for fumbling the ball?

Very weak, I guess Gore really becomes a stud in your league now. How do you justify rewarding a player for fumbling the ball?

Winning at all costs I guess. Commish is pretty tight with this owner and doesn't know the other. Time for a new league.

Winning at all costs I guess. Commish is pretty tight with this owner and doesn't know the other. Time for a new league.

I agree... that is not right, obviously the intent of the rule was not to reward fumbles. Commish - :angry:

Post his e-mail address here and we can all e-mail him congratulating him on how he handled the problem.

Post his e-mail address here and we can all e-mail him congratulating him on how he handled the problem.

Close. Not that it will matter but I linked this thread to our home page.

Wow, commish has pretty much decided not to change the rule. Pretty weak.

That's not just weak, that's unequivocally wrong. (Mephisto, please read and understand my response before you once again insult me and call me a "focktard" or another epithet equally as sophisticated). Your Commissioner has unilaterally changed your league rules--he's not enforcing a league rule, but rather changing your league's rules by apparently insisting that HIS error in how to implement or score your league's rules takes precedence over what the rules in fact are. As I understand it, under your league rules at the start of the season, a fumble RECOVERY gets a point--he's not enforcing a league rule, he's CHANGED it--on his own and without any votes on a rule change. He entered a scoring system that was not in accordance with what the members of the league wanted. If his decision stands, what would prevent him--without telling anyone--from entering a scoring system on the website (again, as opposed and in contrast to the league rules) in which QB TDs get only one point? Your commissioner deserves to be imprisoned for eternity in a jail cell with a horny gorilla (of course, that'd be Hell for the gorilla too). :pointstosky:

your commish sucks, I bet a team gets another win because of fumbles. That would be a wierd thing to cheer for...