Sign in to follow this  
ONESOLO8

BRANDON JACOBS...EVERY DOWN BACK?

:unsure: With Tiki possibly retiring next year for the giants, is Brandon Jacobs going to be the starting RB?

I am in a 12 team keeper league and wanted to get your opinions on Brandon Jacobs... I currently have him on my team, mainly for next year.

With Brandons size, do you think he can be a succesful every down back, or is he only good as a 3rd down or goal line carrying back?

Is he worth keeping, I also have Jones Drew, for the same reason. Any opinions on him as well.

Thanks in advance..... :rolleyes:

Jacobs will get 1400+ yards and 14+ TD next year if Tiki is gone...he is your MAN.

I will be starting BOTH Tiki and Jacobs this week due to bye week issues...I think they'll combined for 30+ points.

GL

Jacobs will get 1400+ yards and 14+ TD next year if Tiki is gone...he is your MAN.

I will be starting BOTH Tiki and Jacobs this week due to bye week issues...I think they'll combined for 30+ points.

GL

Jacobs = Ron Dayne if he attempts to be the every down RB. They will go into free agency and get someone this off-season. Get ready for yet another RBBC.

GL

Jacobs = Ron Dayne if he attempts to be the every down RB. They will go into free agency and get someone this off-season. Get ready for yet another RBBC.

Well if you're available, maybe you two can interview to replace Giants GM Ernie Accorsi since he is also retiring.

Well if you're available, maybe you two can interview to replace Giants GM Ernie Accorsi since he is also retiring.

What does that have to do with anything??? :( :banana: :dunno:

I disagree. I believe they do go get another RB because most NFL teams no longer feel comfortable with 1 good back. But I think Jacobs has shown in his few opportunities that he can be more like a Christian Okoye type back than a Ron Dayne bust.

Problem is in a dynasty league, big guys don't often last many years because of the pounding. Bettis was a rare treat at that position for his size. Jacobs could very well be the 1st and 2nd down back with a smaller 3rd down back next year.

Jacobs = Ron Dayne if he attempts to be the every down RB.

Do you have any recollection of what Ron Dayne did as a short yardage back in NY? These backs are not even remotly comparable. Jacobs is bigger, faster, and plays with a lot more fire than Dayne ever did.

Jacobs has something Dayne doesn't.....speed. He isn't just big, he's quick for 260lbs. He can not only run over guys, he can turn shoulders and hips becoming slippery to tackle. He's going to be the #1 but I would look for use of a 3rd down back to spell him, someone quick with hands like Kevin Faulk.

No, the Ron Dayne comparison is nowhere close. Jacobs is twice the RB Dayne is in the NFL. Dayne was done when he left Wisconsin.

He has 4.34 speed and he is a beast. He has looked good when he plays and I have turned down multiple trade offers in a keeper league. I know he hasnt proved he can be an every down back but I am more than willing to take that chance next year. He will be in a good offence that can pass so they will not be able to cheat up. I think he is going to have a great year.

Jacobs has something Dayne doesn't.....speed. He isn't just big, he's quick for 260lbs. He can not only run over guys, he can turn shoulders and hips becoming slippery to tackle. He's going to be the #1 but I would look for use of a 3rd down back to spell him, someone quick with hands like Kevin Faulk.

No, the Ron Dayne comparison is nowhere close. Jacobs is twice the RB Dayne is in the NFL. Dayne was done when he left Wisconsin.

I think this week, Jacobs is a decent no2 back. Lots of garbage yards and a td. :banana:

I have no doubt that Jacobs can put up some stellar numbers, at least for a few years. Big, bruising, running backs don't last long in the NFL, but if they have the talent, they can excel for a few years. Jacobs is light years ahead of anywhere Dayne has ever been in the pros. I think everyone here knows it - some are just trying to push an agenda to the contrary.

not that this conversation is bad, but... if you run a search there've been a number of similar threads started discussing this topic that you might find of interest... and, for what it's worth, jacobs has been on my bench all season with the plan of keeping him for the next few years

I am a Jacobs owner, and i think he will remain in the role he currently has, which is goal line carries and occasional help. He is way too big for a full time RB. Just look at the current or past top RB's, with respect to hieght and weight, he has a disadvantage. Hey, maybe that willl change next year, but i really doubt it. Still a great RB to have incase u need a bye week replacement or short term injury replacement.

I'm not convinced that the NYFootball Giants won't go out and get another Rb for next season. I don't remember the last time I saw them throw to Jacobs. That may be because he is not a good rcvr or that may just be his role at this point. At any rate, in light of his obvious physical abilities, he will remain stashed on my bench in my keeper league. IF he becomes the feature back next year, I can see a huge season from him and that chance alone is worth the roster spot this year.

I agree it's likely the Giants will try to get another good RB either through the draft or free agency, since all teams want to have a quality back-up, but I disagree completely that Jacobs is another Dayne or that it'll be RBBC. I've seen all of his carries this year, and he's not just a huge, short yardage back who simply tries to bowl over defenders. He moves his feet well and frequently positions himself so that tacklers don't get a "square" shot at him. He's also incredibly fast for a guy his size and has shown he can get to the outside, not just pound it up the middle. I'd love to have this guy in a keeper league with Barber having made the decision to retire. Ask the players on the Tampa Bay defense after last week's contest if they'd want to try to tackle him 25 times per afternoon--somehow, I doubt it'd be in their top 100 things they want to do in a game.

I know this is still a significant difference but I see Jacobs more like LJ

LJ 6'1" 230lbs

Jacobs 6'4" 264lbs

Both are big, can run, have a nose for the endzone and run over people. LJ takes a pounding too but the young guys can do it.

I dont play in a dynasty league but if I did, Jacobs would be my man (unless I had LJ). As it is, if I get sniff of him next year (after JL and LT are gone) I am grabbing Jacobs.

Of course, if the NYG state that he isn't the feature back that will change but what has he done to show he can't handle the load? Carry 5 guys 10 yards for a first down? Move both lines 3 yards for a TD? Have db's jump out of the way once he is in the open field? Throw devastating blocks on blitzers? Race 54 yards for a TD?

I know we want to find negatives but the guy keeps his mouth shut and just balls - he will be in his 3rd year in the same offense next season and I think he will be a monster.

I have no doubt that Jacobs can put up some stellar numbers, at least for a few years. Big, bruising, running backs don't last long in the NFL,

like ironhead heyward or christian okoye...

but whats considered a long time? the average career in the nfl is only about 3 years....

he may last longer than priest holmes, who wasnt a bruiser..maybe guys who are built to take hits can withstand them better :huh: you dont need jacobs forever...i think he'll be good when tiki retires in 2 years...

He is way too big for a full time RB. Just look at the current or past top RB's, with respect to hieght and weight, he has a disadvantage.

Not trying to bash you or anything dude. But there have been other big running backs that have had success. Check out Christian Okoye's career. It was short, but I think he proved that you can be a featured back and have a great season, even if you are massive compared to the 'norm'. He was about 6'1" and 260 lbs.

The Giants are gonna take a great blocking FB in the next draft (see Charles Way) or sign a FB free agent. I guarantee it. If the Giants had a great blocking FB right now ... either Tiki or Brandon could run wild ... but it's just not there. There was some talk about signing Sam Gash a few years back ... but he was too expensive to fit under the cap.

Things have changed.

Brandon "He's a MONSTER" Jacobs has a big future with the Giants ... he's what we wanted to get with Dayne. He's the real deal. I'd love to have him next year in a FF situation. All these rumors about the Giants signing Turner are just that ... rumors. I'd be surprised if Tiki really does retire, unless the Giants win the SB. He'll stay one more year, at a reduced role, 3rd down back kinda guy ... like he was supposed to be from the start.

Yeah ... Jacobs next year ... he's ... ALREADY HUGE!

This Thunder and Lightning ... RBBC idea isn't new. See: "Little" Joe Morris and Ottis Anderson. The Giants won 2 Superbowls with that concept. I don't expect it to change ... but Jacobs will be the #1 RB in New York next year.

The Giants are gonna take a great blocking FB in the next draft (see Charles Way) or sign a FB free agent. I guarantee it. If the Giants had a great blocking FB right now ... either Tiki or Brandon could run wild ... but it's just not there. There was some talk about signing Sam Gash a few years back ... but he was too expensive to fit under the cap.

Things have changed.

Brandon "He's a MONSTER" Jacobs has a big future with the Giants ... he's what we wanted to get with Dayne. He's the real deal. I'd love to have him next year in a FF situation. All these rumors about the Giants signing Turner are just that ... rumors. I'd be surprised if Tiki really does retire, unless the Giants win the SB. He'll stay one more year, at a reduced role, 3rd down back kinda guy ... like he was supposed to be from the start.

Yeah ... Jacobs next year ... he's ... ALREADY HUGE!

This Thunder and Lightning ... RBBC idea isn't new. See: "Little" Joe Morris and Ottis Anderson. The Giants won 2 Superbowls with that concept. I don't expect it to change ... but Jacobs will be the #1 RB in New York next year.

I hate to disagree with a fellow fan of the Giants, but I have to do so--You're really underestimating Finn's abilities. He's a very good blocker and has been an important part of Barber's/Jacob's success. When Finn is in there against Houston this week, watch how many times he takes a defender out of the play and allows the other RBs to gain yardage. Finn is an integral part of the Giants running game--you rarely even hear his name, which for a fullback is probably a good thing. As far as Barber or Jacobs "running wild" with a "great blocking fullback", how much more can you expect out of the Giants running game than what they've already done?

I also disagree that Barber will stay one more year, or that even if he does, he should be a 3rd down back. Barber is probably the classiest guy in the NFL, (I'll cite examples if anyone wants them) and his word has been gold throughout his career. If I'm wrong (it's been known to happen occasionally, such as on any day ending in "ay") and he does return, it sure as heck won't be in the position of a 3rd down back--he's too good not to use him on 1st and 2nd down. Jacobs will be the number one back next year, but only because Barber will be gone.

Giants 27, Houston 10.

Nothing against Finn ... but he's no Charles Way. He's no Sam Gash.

I'm talking about a pure FB ... the total package. A FB that, given the situation, can also catch. Not because he's a great receiver, but because he's not covered. Because he has the heart to make stuff happen. Hands, power, smarts.

Are you saying Finn is as good as Way was? Strictly as a blocker ... you gonna compare Finn to Way?

I'd bet dollars to donuts ... the coaches would rather have a young Charles Way right now.

Nothing against Finn ... but he's no Charles Way. He's no Sam Gash.

I'm talking about a pure FB ... the total package. A FB that, given the situation, can also catch. Not because he's a great receiver, but because he's not covered. Because he has the heart to make stuff happen. Hands, power, smarts.

Are you saying Finn is as good as Way was? Strictly as a blocker ... you gonna compare Finn to Way?

I'd bet dollars to donuts ... the coaches would rather have a young Charles Way right now.

Yes, I am comparing Finn to Way (on a side note, Finn to Way almost sounds like a Chinese food order). I'll be at the game on Sunday--how about if we both watch what Finn does this Sunday and then compare thoughts/notes on Monday?

To what? Way's coaching ability?

Me thinks ... you dunno who Charles Way .... was.

7th round draft pick ... only lasted a couple years ... a "smart" fullback if there ever WAS one.

What are you saying ... Jim Finn will score this week?

I don't even understand your challenge ... but I'll go with ... YES! Way was better than Finn.

Here's the challenge .... next year (since that's what we are talking about) ... there's a new FB in New York. Again, nothing against Finn ... he's a pure blocker ... I'll give you that. He's not a reciever, he's not a ball carrier ... like Way was.

Jacobs can be THE back for the Giants ... with a talented FB in the mix. No Tiki, no Turner ... call it Thunder and Thunder ... yeah I can see that happening.

Picture ... a young Sam Gash. Jacobs wont even need to learn to catch! As long as he continues to runover linebackers .... yeah ... he'll be starting. I think Tiki will play one more year ... but Jacobs will start.

Giants RB Brandon Jacobs continues to amaze defenses with his running achievements. "He's way too big to be a tailback," Tampa Bay CB Ronde Barber said of the 6-foot-4, 265-pounder with speed (4.37 in the 40). "You just can't get your arms around him." Jacobs gained 41 yards on seven carries Sunday against the Bucs and on one play carried Barber 5 yards downfield after the initial collision. Jacobs also scored a touchdown, his fourth of the season. Giants WR Plaxico Burress said this about Jacobs, "I don't think teams have learned how to tackle him yet. You can't stop him if you try to tackle him high. The guy is definitely a force; he gets the whole team fired up." Jacobs continues to be a force in short-yardage and goal line situations and Fantasy owners should consider him a decent option in larger leagues as a bye week replacement. He could once again be good for a score against the Texans in Week 9. He also has great value in keeper leagues seeing how he is a likely replacement to fill Tiki Barber's shoes once he retires at the end of the season.

First of all, I will say that Jim Finn is incredibly underrated. If you watch every Giants game (which I do), you will see that Finn often pushes tacklers out of the play and creates big holes for Tiki and Jacobs. You never hear his name, but he's there and doing a hell of a job. Way was a better pure FB, but I will be very happy if Finn is back again next year.

As for Jacobs, I love seeing him in the game and getting the ball. He is full of energy and he hits guys like a bowling ball hitting pins. If the Giants give him the shot next year, I believe that he can be a big time #1 RB, and as such, I have traded for him in every keeper I can get my hands on him. :banana:

The Giants are gonna take a great blocking FB in the next draft (see Charles Way) or sign a FB free agent. I guarantee it.

The Giants just signed Finn to a 5 year contract last year and normally keep only one FB on their roster.

To what? Way's coaching ability?

Me thinks ... you dunno who Charles Way .... was.

7th round draft pick ... only lasted a couple years ... a "smart" fullback if there ever WAS one.

What are you saying ... Jim Finn will score this week?

I don't even understand your challenge ... but I'll go with ... YES! Way was better than Finn.

Here's the challenge .... next year (since that's what we are talking about) ... there's a new FB in New York. Again, nothing against Finn ... he's a pure blocker ... I'll give you that. He's not a reciever, he's not a ball carrier ... like Way was.

Jacobs can be THE back for the Giants ... with a talented FB in the mix. No Tiki, no Turner ... call it Thunder and Thunder ... yeah I can see that happening.

Picture ... a young Sam Gash. Jacobs wont even need to learn to catch! As long as he continues to runover linebackers .... yeah ... he'll be starting. I think Tiki will play one more year ... but Jacobs will start.

I'm simply trying to point out that the Giants already have a very good blocking fullback in Finn. No, I'm not saying Finn will score this week; I don't think anything I said even remotely implied that. I believe Finn is in the same class as Way as a blocker. I've been a Giants fan for decades, so of course I remember Charles Way, and yes, he was a bruiser as a blocker--but Finn is very good at that aspect of the game as well, and it's my opinion that you're inaccurate when you indicated that the Giants' running game could be much better if they get a good fullback, or that they should actively seek to get someone else. They already have someone who does a very good job in that role.

finn has not been as good this year as last year even though tiki is breaking big runs...giants o line is making the holes

This thread has veered off-topic. How about if we all just agree that Brandon Jacobs is the next Jim Brown with better acting skills? :banana:

He has 4.34 speed and he is a beast. He has looked good when he plays and I have turned down multiple trade offers in a keeper league. I know he hasnt proved he can be an every down back but I am more than willing to take that chance next year. He will be in a good offence that can pass so they will not be able to cheat up. I think he is going to have a great year.

4.34? No. Not correct, or even concevable when you think of his size. 4.34 is like Bo Kackson, Deon Sanders speed almost.

He ran a 4.56 at the combine. At his size thats still a GREAT time which is around Larry Johnson speed. I believe he ran alittle faster at his Pro Day but it was on a fast surface so many scouts downgraded his Pro day time.

Whats actually pretty funny is when you look at Jacobs he has the athletic skills to be a Elite Te. 6'4, 260, good speed for a TE(Kellen Winslow/Shockey speed) and hes a tough player. Why I say it is funny is because if they had converted him to TE and he was productive, he probably would have went much higher in the draft as a TE then a Rb. Whatever though, as it worked out for the giants well.

To the original poster, I can assure you he will probably not be the next Larry Johnson. The Giants will look to get a scat back(Leon Washington/Moats type) which will cut into Jacobs production significantly. I can see 8-900 yards and 13-15 TD's though which is still 1st to 2nd round material in redrafts.

:pointstosky: With Tiki possibly retiring next year for the giants, is Brandon Jacobs going to be the starting RB?

I am in a 12 team keeper league and wanted to get your opinions on Brandon Jacobs... I currently have him on my team, mainly for next year.

With Brandons size, do you think he can be a succesful every down back, or is he only good as a 3rd down or goal line carrying back?

Is he worth keeping, I also have Jones Drew, for the same reason. Any opinions on him as well.

Thanks in advance..... :blink:

I am a Giants homer and if I was in a keepr league, Jacobs would be my man. Also, am not as worried when Tiki retires because Jacobs has shown a lot this year.