Sign in to follow this  
D_House

West Palm Beach

Trying to plan a vacation well in advance. Any tips on hotels, restaurants, beaches, attractions would be much appreciated. :mad:

I work in WPB (live in Port St. Lucie). If you just want to do the area, stay south - Boca to Fort Lauderdale. Find something along the intercoastal (US1) or A1A (the Atlantic Ocean main road) from a hotel perspective and you will be ok. You will not have any problems finding nice beaches and restaurants from there. Make sure you book "out of season" (November - April prices are crazy). Also, make sure you go to a reputable site to check out hotel ratings (found this to be VERY WISE when staying in the Keys).

WPB itself is not worth visiting. The West side of town is ok for residential purposes, but the beaches here (with the exception of SOME areas along Riveria beach) are not worth visiting. I have heard the Lake Worth Beach is nice as well and may be another place to look at.

Bring plenty of money and dump it back into our economy.

I work in WPB (live in Port St. Lucie). If you just want to do the area, stay south - Boca to Fort Lauderdale. Find something along the intercoastal (US1) or A1A (the Atlantic Ocean main road) from a hotel perspective and you will be ok. You will not have any problems finding nice beaches and restaurants from there. Make sure you book "out of season" (November - April prices are crazy). Also, make sure you go to a reputable site to check out hotel ratings (found this to be VERY WISE when staying in the Keys).

WPB itself is not worth visiting. The West side of town is ok for residential purposes, but the beaches here (with the exception of SOME areas along Riveria beach) are not worth visiting. I have heard the Lake Worth Beach is nice as well and may be another place to look at.

Bring plenty of money and dump it back into our economy.

First off, thanks for the tips. Would Ft. Lauderdale be the better choice, in your opinion? We haven't fully decided yet between WPB and Ft. Lauderdale (we'll be taking advantage of free airfare that good for either airport).

First off, thanks for the tips. Would Ft. Lauderdale be the better choice, in your opinion? We haven't fully decided yet between WPB and Ft. Lauderdale (we'll be taking advantage of free airfare that good for either airport).

Definitely Ft. Lauderdale but get as far East as possible (US1 or A1A). Even though you have free airfair, it's easier (and often cheaper) getting in and out of Lauderdale airport. You can get direct flights there, where WPB often requires a connecting flight. This will also give you the option of an easier day trip down to Miami (South Beach and Key Biscayne are nice). WPB is just BLAH and there is nothing to do in town or north (except a couple of nice restaurants in Jupiter - about 20 minutes north).

how bout that traffic huh?

HORRID. I have a 50 mile trip each way. Luckily it is mostly interstate and I can make it in 45 minutes on a Saturday, but can take up to 2 hours if there is a wreck on 95. A Turnpike entrance is almost available close to the house, so that will knock of 10 minutes on a "normal" day. Also, the first phase of lane expansion is almost done through WPB itself. The bad part of the drive is the seniors going 55 mph in the right lane (70 MPH limit) and the morons doing 90 mph while weaving in and out. When I first got here, I was able to set the cruise on 75 and flow with traffic. I have upped it to 80, but even that isn't enough now.

We stayed at a hotel on Singer Island (Hilton) and it was adequate. It rained, so we saw none of the beach.

City Place was a great outdoor mall to visit for dinner, drinks, and a movie if that is what you are looking for.

I just was in Port St. Lucie for a golf (long) weekend. If you like a lot of old people, there are tons of places to go ;)

Actually, we go there every year but it is usually late fall/early winter, so I can't tell you where to go for beaches.

Some other tips:

- JetBlue flies there. The satellite TV's are critical in making the flight pleasurable

- Do some work on the car rentals. If you look hard, you can find some good deals on cars. If you don't look hard, you will get screwed

Bump for the afternoon crowd.

Anyone know how close the airports (Ft. Lauderdale and PBI) are to the beaches/hotels? Ideally, we wouldn't need a car, just shuttle/cab to our hotel and hit the beach for the weekend.

Anyone know how close the airports (Ft. Lauderdale and PBI) are to the beaches/hotels? Ideally, we wouldn't need a car, just shuttle/cab to our hotel and hit the beach for the weekend.

Close enough. Lauderdale is closer to the beaches/hotels and you should be able to get a shuttle fairly easy.

We were able to cab/shuttle to Singer Island and everywhere that we needed.