Sign in to follow this  
ArnieBragg

Stuntman Blaine to Hang from Hook in Times Square

Reuters

Friday, November 17, 2006; 2:43 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - In his latest stunt, U.S. magician David Blaine will be shackled to a spinning gyroscope hanging some three stories above Times Square as he tries to escape before a three day deadline.

The 33-year-old, whose previous stunts include 61 hours encased in a block of ice and one week buried in a coffin, will be hoisted 40 feet above the ground just off New York's Times Square on Tuesday.

Blaine will be secured in a three-ringed gyroscope spinning continuously in all directions and retailer Target Corp. has challenged the magician to escape from his position by 5 a.m. Friday.

"There will be no barriers to protect him from elements like wind, rain, snow or freezing temperatures," Target said.

If he succeeds, Blaine will then accompany 100 families chosen by The Salvation Army on a shopping spree at Target. The department store said it will give each family a $500 giftcard if Blaine completes the challenge.

Other stunts Blaine has done include a week living underwater in a clear sphere and 44 days in a box suspended over the River Thames in London.

"This is my chance to give back to The Salvation Army and to benefit other families," Blaine said in a statement. "It's my goal not only to successfully complete this challenge, but to help give others an extraordinary holiday season."

I hope he does it then while walking into the target stores with the families he gets hit by a truck.