Sign in to follow this  
edog2434

Chargers the team to beat in the NFL

The Chargers D is back, two of Buffalo's scores yesterday were off of turnovers. With LT and that D they look like the team to beat in the NFL. Any thoughts?

I'd agree, and I'm not a Chargers fan. They look like the best team in the NFL right now. No one can stop their run game, and their passing game is good enough to win games. That D is looking scary. I don't think the secondary is that great, but they can pressure the QB enough to make up for that.

I'd probably say the next best team is the Cowboys. Again, not a Dallas fan, but they have the D to carry them, and a strong running and passing game. I think they're better than the Bears in the NFC.

Indy just doesn't look like they care at times. I'd probably put NE over Indy at this point, despite their rough game yesterday. Ravens look like a first-round knock out. Bengals could surprise some people if they get the wild card. No one else really stands out.

As a Colts homer... I agree. The Indy offense and Charger offense are on par. But the defense is where San Diego get's the edge. The pre-season Colt's Defense might have been able to get up enough to conetend, but all of their injury losses have seriously crippled the entire team. Simon, Reagor, Doss, Sanders, and now Bethea. These aren't household names, but losing them for serious time or the entire season has made an impact.

Even the loss of Dallas Clark will hurt the already wobbly running game... where as LT2 will can run at ease against anyone.

If the chargers and colts happen to meet up in the finals... in the dome or out west... the result will likely be a Charger win. And that's IF the colts can make it that far.

Just my opinion, of course.

A dangerous team but I'm not sold on them.

The real impressive wins they've had have come against bottom feeders and the ones against good teams they had to rally from HUGE holes in the 2nd half vs Bengals, Broncos, and KC. I know they won two of those but should've probably lost all 3.

If and it's a big one, some team shuts down LT for 60 minutes, they're beatable.

You can pretty much say that about any team, can't you? If you shut down Manning, I'd say the Colts are beatable too.

A dangerous team but I'm not sold on them.

I completely agree with this assessment.

I'm not a Charger fan... but live in S.D... so I hafta deal with the constant yammering on local radio and the house full of innane 'Bolt' homers on Sundays.

The Chargers are easily the most dangerous team in the NFL. They're capable of crushing any opponent on any day. However... there's still three things that count against them IMO.

1. Marty - His playoff record speaks for itself. The guy has trouble adjusting to opponent's game plans and has been badly (and regularly) outcoached by better HC's.

2. Rivers - This kid is playing exponentially better than anyone outside of San Diego thought he would. But... he's still young... and still does 'young' things. One or two bad decisions by a QB against a quality opponent can cost you a game... he's shown that he is sometimes apt to make those bad decisions.

3. The secondary - They flat out suck. They've been protected pretty well by the excellent talent in the front 7... but if a good QB can get comfortable in a game... he'll light that secondary up like a Christmas tree.

Kind of an odd situation... but of the teams that make the playoffs... I would say the Chargers are probably ranked in the top 2 or 3 'best' teams... but they're also probably one of the top 4 or 5 'beatable' teams.

Depends which team shows up.

I completely agree with this assessment.

I'm not a Charger fan... but live in S.D... so I hafta deal with the constant yammering on local radio and the house full of innane 'Bolt' homers on Sundays.

The Chargers are easily the most dangerous team in the NFL. They're capable of crushing any opponent on any day. However... there's still three things that count against them IMO.

1. Marty - His playoff record speaks for itself. The guy has trouble adjusting to opponent's game plans and has been badly (and regularly) outcoached by better HC's.

2. Rivers - This kid is playing exponentially better than anyone outside of San Diego thought he would. But... he's still young... and still does 'young' things. One or two bad decisions by a QB against a quality opponent can cost you a game... he's shown that he is sometimes apt to make those bad decisions.

3. The secondary - They flat out suck. They've been protected pretty well by the excellent talent in the front 7... but if a good QB can get comfortable in a game... he'll light that secondary up like a Christmas tree.

Kind of an odd situation... but of the teams that make the playoffs... I would say the Chargers are probably ranked in the top 2 or 3 'best' teams... but they're also probably one of the top 4 or 5 'beatable' teams.

Depends which team shows up.

Well said, but I don't completely agree with you on number three. The entire secondary doesn't suck, just the safeties. Jammer is having a breakout year (finally) and Florence is usually pretty good. Terrence Kiel, however, couldn't cover an iceberg and McCree should be playing SS. It also doesn't help that the ILB's can't defend the pass. I think part of that is the nature of the way that defense is set up. Basically, on just about every down you have 7 guys attacking the qb or defending the run which puts a helluva lot of pressure on that secondary. The fact that they don't give up 300 yds a game in the air, I think, speaks pretty well of the cbs.

Anything they accomplish with that steroid freak on defense is tainted. It's lke bonds and the home run chase.

Anything they accomplish with that steroid freak on defense is tainted. It's lke bonds and the home run chase.

:thumbsdown: Steriod freak? It was just a protein shake. :blink:

Well said, but I don't completely agree with you on number three. The entire secondary doesn't suck, just the safeties. Jammer is having a breakout year (finally) and Florence is usually pretty good. Terrence Kiel, however, couldn't cover an iceberg and McCree should be playing SS. It also doesn't help that the ILB's can't defend the pass. I think part of that is the nature of the way that defense is set up. Basically, on just about every down you have 7 guys attacking the qb or defending the run which puts a helluva lot of pressure on that secondary. The fact that they don't give up 300 yds a game in the air, I think, speaks pretty well of the cbs.

I'm still not sure about the that. Having watched Jammer play every week... he just doesn't seem 'on it' to me. And... it might just be his repuation making me think this... it still seems like he gets alot of PI calls against him. Almost like his brain isn't in the game and he's relying on his feet (or grabbing with his hands) to help him catch up. You're right about Florence... he has actually played pretty well. To me... the Cinicinatti game really highlighted the shortcomings of the SD secondary.

All that said... If I were a Bolt fan I'd be pleased as punch. There's no reason this team won't keep getting better for the next 2 or 3 years. That's pretty frightening for the rest of the AFC West... and the NFL.

:lol: Steriod freak? It was just a protein shake. :blink:

Oh please, you aren't really that dumb, are you?

"Protein shake" :lol: