Sign in to follow this  
AnaheimRams

Rosters locked in playoffs.

Playing in a new league this season with friends of a friend. Josh Brown is my kicker... went to drop him this morning and all transactions are locked. Emailed the commish... he said that rosters are locked once playoff starts, and every league he's ever heard of does it that way.

Personally... I've never heard of such a thing.

Anyone else do this?

It's a relatively low prize league... so it's not a huge crisis... just kinda pisses me off that rosters were locked w/out warning.

Playing in a new league this season with friends of a friend. Josh Brown is my kicker... went to drop him this morning and all transactions are locked. Emailed the commish... he said that rosters are locked once playoff starts, and every league he's ever heard of does it that way.

Anyone else do this?

It's a relatively low prize league... so it's not a huge crisis... just kinda pisses me off that rosters were locked w/out warning.

In my leagues, Non playoff teams are locked (so they can't add/drop or use the waiver wire) but playoff teams can still add/drop and use waivers according to the ordinary rules.

In my leagues, Non playoff teams are locked (so they can't add/drop or use the waiver wire) but playoff teams can still add/drop and use waivers according to the ordinary rules.

Ditto!

In my homeboy league. All rosters are locked after week 12. No Add/Drops/Trades. Thank goodness i had a feeling VanderHACK was going to get the boot and grabbed Scobee off waivers the week before he was cut.

Jeff

Ditto!

I can certainly see the need to that... but it seems silly to lock rosters of teams that are still playing.

Guess I need to hope that the 70mph wind is coming from BEHIND Brown... rather than across the field...

I can certainly see the need to that... but it seems silly to lock rosters of teams that are still playing.

Guess I need to hope that the 70mph wind is coming from BEHIND Brown... rather than across the field...

Silly? It is beyond silly. It's patently absurd. The teams still playing should be able to do the same things that brought them there, and that includes working the waiver wire. Just lock the non-playoff teams. That's all.

Not sure why, but one of my leagues has always locked the ww prior to playoffs. It forces you to drop some dead weight and carry 2K's and 2TE's or gamble that neither gets hurt.

We also limit waiver moves to one per week and charge $6 per transaction. Adds to the "strategery" and the pot!

My other league stays open.

Anyone else do this?

Is it in the league rules? If so, nothing you can do about it. If not, tell him who cares about any other league he's ever heard of and unlock those damn rosters pronto!

4 leagues

1 is no FAs in playoffs, 1 is FAs throughout, 2 are no FAs in playoffs unless the player being dropped is listed as OUT. Doesn't matter to me, just know the rules and work it.

Trade deadline is Week 10.

FA/WW continues through the playoffs except for those teams that didn't make the playoffs (or are later eliminated from the playoffs).

With large rosters, I can understand locking it all up for the post season, but my league has tight roster restrictions that allow only 1 extra guy at each starting position and 1 "floater." Injuries can cripple a team and there is no way I can justify shutting it down for the post-season.

Is it in the league rules? If so, nothing you can do about it. If not, tell him who cares about any other league he's ever heard of and unlock those damn rosters pronto!

It's a fanball league... here's the "rule":

"Free Agent Deadlines

During the preseason, league members are allowed to make their own free agent acquisitions:

Never

During the regular season, league members are allowed to make their own free agent acquisitions:

Weekly starting Tuesday 07:00a EST and allowing lineup changes to any player in an early game until five minutes before kickoff of the early game, and at 12:55pm EST on Sunday for everyone else."

That's it. Doesn't say anything about playoffs.

I must be missing the logic to having some teams locked but other not. Let's say Michael Turner is available on the waiver wire of a keeper league (probably silly, but let's presume anyway), and Tomlinson blows a knee - making Turner a viable keeper for next year. Does this mean the non-playoff teams don't get a shot at him? I ask this because in the league I'm in waivers were done a few weeks ago, so I've never come across this situation.

I must be missing the logic to having some teams locked but other not. Let's say Michael Turner is available on the waiver wire of a keeper league (probably silly, but let's presume anyway), and Tomlinson blows a knee - making Turner a viable keeper for next year. Does this mean the non-playoff teams don't get a shot at him? I ask this because in the league I'm in waivers were done a few weeks ago, so I've never come across this situation.

Great point! :lol:

Great example and a great reason to shut all free agent transactions BEFORE the playoffs start. Forces teams to plan better.

I would think the leagues that lock some and not others are redraft leagues ONLY. If not, I would agree with you but I sincerely doubt that ANY keeper/dynasty league would agree to a rule where some guys could and some couldn't.

I would think the leagues that lock some and not others are redraft leagues ONLY. If not, I would agree with you but I sincerely doubt that ANY keeper/dynasty league would agree to a rule where some guys could and some couldn't.

In redraft leagues, I totally agree with you Next Generation. Anaheim, is this league a keeper league or a redraft league?

Here's the problem and the solution. The commish locked ALL rosters so that a week before playoffs just in case we had a non playoff team wanting to "dump" players just to mess around. Fortunately our league guys are all men and wouldn't do this. Our Commish sent a league email that if anyone wanted a waiver wire pickup, he would gladly unlock them to do so. This requires alot of extra work for the commish but I applaud his fairness to all involved. ;)

You're gonna have injuries even during playoffs - I lost both J Horn & D Jax - so you gotta give guys a chance to field a team from he waiver wire.

GO GREAT COMMISH! :thumbsup: