Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Will Denver draft a running back early?

Tatum has proved he is a change of pace burner and not a feature back.

Mike Bell has shown flashes, but seems to follow every great game with a bad one.

It seems that Denver's penchant for throwing just anybody in there and having him look like an all-pro is over.

Do you think they try to get a stud in their backfield, which they haven't had since Portis or will they try to continue developing Mike Bell and use him and Tatum ina RBBC?

Knowing the the prevalent answer will be "who gives a fock, I will NEVER draft a Denver RB as look as Rat Face is running that team", I will give it a shot.

I think if Marshawn Lynch is there at their pick (and he looks looks good in post season games and the combine) then they will think about him. If he isn't, Michael Bush is a possibility in the 2nd. Outside of that, I don't see much in the way of other draft options or free agency for them. Chris Brown is no better than Tatum from an injury perspective, Duckett has played in the scheme but I don't see him being any better than what they have and there are not other quality UFA's. As far as RFA's, San Diego would NEVER let Turner go to Denver (until UFA days). It is purely specualation and conjecture, but Thomas Jones would be a good fit if Denver could pull off a trade. Outside these options, I see Denver adding some O-line depth (the Lepsis injury hurt more than the RB ineffectiveness) and moving forward with the Bells. Mike SHOULD get better and Tatum is capable of 15-20 rushes per game if needed.

I don't think they'll ever draft a RB in the first round. I don't think Shannahan considers the position important enough to spend a first round pick on it. However, they did draft Clinton Portis in the second, so he obvioulsy will pull the trigger Day One if the value is right.

Either way, the running game wasn't their biggest problem. The QB issues and the fact they still can't generate a pass rush in the front four is a bigger problem. They need to stop importing Cleveland Browns and draft a stud pass rusher who can play every down (which I don't think Dumervil can do).

I don't think they'll ever draft a RB in the first round. I don't think Shannahan considers the position important enough to spend a first round pick on it. However, they did draft Clinton Portis in the second, so he obvioulsy will pull the trigger Day One if the value is right.

Either way, the running game wasn't their biggest problem. The QB issues and the fact they still can't generate a pass rush in the front four is a bigger problem. They need to stop importing Cleveland Browns and draft a stud pass rusher who can play every down (which I don't think Dumervil can do).

I think that inconsistancy from the running back position was a big problem this year. Tatum rarely had two good games in a row, and neither did Mike Bell. That makes it very hard on a quarterback. Denver's offense revolves around the play-action and bootlegs. When your backs are not running well, it greatly diminishes the effectiveness of play-action.

I do agree that they need to address the pass-rushing problem, but I don't think it can be said that any average back can be a stud in Denver anymore.

I would've liked to have seen Ladell Betts run behind that O line. What a shame. From what I've seen Tatum obviously isnt the answer, otherwise we wouldnt still be seeing Mike bell being as involved as he's been.

Knowing shanahan it wouldnt suprise me to see them draft a RB in rd 2 or 3 in the NFL draft then we'll have another RB to guess who's gonna get the carries between tatum, mike and the rookie. :mad:

If Cutler did not Fall to us we would have drafted Maroney.. Shannahan loved maroney and even tried to make a deal to get Cutler and MAroney in this years draft..

Maroney in Denver would probably be a great fit.. But I will take Cutler..

Denver has always got value at RB in the draft or thereafter. But they are not opposed to taking a RB if the right player falls at the right time.

Sadly, they haven't had a true full time multi-year feature back since TD and that burned a lot of FF owners.

IF, and that is a BIG IF, Denver pulled the trigger in the 1st round, you gotta believe that the RB they took would become the full time multi-year feature back in Denver... That is until they trade that RB for another shutdown CB.

Isn't Musa Smith a FA??

Good point. I am too lazy to look it up right now but I thought he was restricted. I have a feeling (feeling only, no proof) that Baltimore will try to lock him up and let Lewis go. I am not as familiar with his style as I should be but if I recall, he doesn't fit the "zone scheme".

Isn't Musa Smith a FA??

heck, Tony Gonzalez is a free agent too. According to Shanahan, he can put anybody in that backfield and they would prosper.

Say Goodbye to Shanny and hello to Denver's new head coach Mora from the ATL. He can tell you if the Donkeys will grab an RB in the first round.

Does it matter? The Sith Lord would probably put LT in a RBBC.

I don't know about that. The last time Shanahan had a truly great running back was when he had Portis. He was the clear number one and didn't split carries.

It's just that he started having a lot of success with the Droughns/Anderson/Tatum-level backs and figured he could win that way. He also started his RBBC-stuff. I think that finally getting a great back would allow him to do away with this awful comittee-crap.

They should just get Micheal Turner.. He wont be that expensive and he will be a restricted FA.

The "Burner" is a fast and tough runner and i think he can do pretty well in that running scheme.