Sign in to follow this  
Fun Bags

DC/Baltimore area geeks...

I will be in Reston, VA for a conference in April and was interested in going to Baltimore for an Oriole's game while there (Nationals will be on the road). I am flying into Dulles and will not have a car. I believe there is some sort of public transit system/train that runs between DC and the Baltimore area, correct? How difficult would it be to get from the area near Dulles to Baltimore? How long would it take? Is there a depot near Dulles? Or do I need to get into the immediate DC area to pick it up? What is the cost? Does it run late enough at night to get back after a night game? Thanks

I will be in Reston, VA for a conference in April and was interested in going to Baltimore for an Oriole's game while there (Nationals will be on the road). I am flying into Dulles and will not have a car. I believe there is some sort of public transit system/train that runs between DC and the Baltimore area, correct? How difficult would it be to get from the area near Dulles to Baltimore? How long would it take? Is there a depot near Dulles? Or do I need to get into the immediate DC area to pick it up? What is the cost? Does it run late enough at night to get back after a night game? Thanks

That'd probably be tough. I don't think there is any reliable public transportation all the way out to Reston ... the train up to Camden yeards leaves from Union Station in DC ... yes, the train runs after the game, but I think it'd end up taking you two-three hours to get back to reston once transfers, etc are taken into account. Here's what I'd suggest:

1) Consider renting a car. that way, you could drive up (probably 1.5 hours with traffic assuning leaving in rush hour.

2) What are the dates? 'praps a DC geek would be able to take you up and back in exchange for you buying tickets/parking.

Good luck ... and who the O's playing?

Blog posting to help add perspective

The author started in Alexandria and picked up the train north of Union Station ... but you prolly get the gist of it.

There is a helicopter "taxi" in the DC area, the name escapes me right now. Anyway that is what I recommend for the round trip.

:itsatip: - make sure you tip the pilot after the first leg of the flight - :itsatip:

Have fun.

That'd probably be tough. I don't think there is any reliable public transportation all the way out to Reston ... the train up to Camden yeards leaves from Union Station in DC ... yes, the train runs after the game, but I think it'd end up taking you two-three hours to get back to reston once transfers, etc are taken into account. Here's what I'd suggest:

1) Consider renting a car. that way, you could drive up (probably 1.5 hours with traffic assuning leaving in rush hour.

2) What are the dates? 'praps a DC geek would be able to take you up and back in exchange for you buying tickets/parking.

Good luck ... and who the O's playing?

I'll be there the 13th-16th of April. The O's have a weekend series with KC. I'd probably try to get to the Saturday night game. So, something like a cab to Union Station then hopping the train wouldn't be worth the hassle? How many transfers are needed? The train isn't a straight shot? I thought about a rental car...maybe that's the route to go.

There is a helicopter "taxi" in the DC area, the name escapes me right now. Anyway that is what I recommend for the round trip.

:itsatip: - make sure you tip the pilot after the first leg of the flight - :itsatip:

Have fun.

I'm guessing that would cost a small fortune???

I'm guessing that would cost a small fortune???

Not sure about the round trip from Restin, but maybe $500 or so. I was asuming you could "expense" some of that.

Not sure about the round trip from Restin, but maybe $500 or so. I was asuming you could "expense" some of that.

LOL...I wish I could, but I'm a teacher. I would be hard pressed to come up with justification for this being a business expense.

I just got back (last wknd) from a trip to DC. I live in NorCal. For what itz worth, I took a cab from Dulles to downtown DC and it cost $60.00. There were 3 of us so it made more sense to do it that way. The Metro (subway system there) is a great way to get around, but I have no clue which route, if any, might go to Camden.

tip: do not fly JetBlu!!! :thumbsup:

Dulles to Camden is approx 60 miles.

I wouldn't want to make that drive during rush hour. Leave late in the morning and you would be ok.

Dulles to Camden is approx 60 miles.

I wouldn't want to make that drive during rush hour. Leave late in the morning and you would be ok.

60 miles doesn't seem so bad. I'd be making a trip for a Saturday night game, so rush hour shouldn't be a factor. My best bet seems to be to rent a car for a day.

If it were me, I would rent a car for the day. Go up to B-more early and see the sights. You may also have some success on Craiglist rideshare, but that is a last second thing. Maybe you can ask a fellow conference goer to split cost or inquire at your hotel about rides.

Go to Woods Hall ... on the University of Maryland campus ... and bow down to the greatordness, that is my greta grandfather's legacy.

60 miles doesn't seem so bad. I'd be making a trip for a Saturday night game, so rush hour shouldn't be a factor. My best bet seems to be to rent a car for a day.

Yeah, I think renting a car or getting a geek to take & go with you ... unfortunately, I'll be out of town that weekend.

I using public transportation, you might look up/figure this out:

1) Does the conference hotel ave a shuttle to DC metro? If so, fin ut which station they drop you at, and use the trip planner at www.metroopensdoors.com to figure out next steps. Depending on game time and day o the week, check out http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28970-c...den.Yards..html for connectiosn options. Use metro trip planner for return, and check with hotel how late their shuttle runs.

2) If hotel does not run shuttle to metro, do they run one to Dulles Airport? If so, see http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/park..._travel_options and use their services to connect to Metro.

Overall, Inner Harbor Baltmore is pretty cool, and Camden Yards is a great place to see a game. I think it is probably worth the effort ... makes a busines trip so much better ... have great memories myself of Red Sox vs. Braves in Atlanta, and Rockies vs. somebody at Coors.

Overall, Inner Harbor Baltmore is pretty cool, and Camden Yards is a great place to see a game. I think it is probably worth the effort ... makes a busines trip so much better ... have great memories myself of Red Sox vs. Braves in Atlanta, and Rockies vs. somebody at Coors.

Yes, I agree. I've been to Baltimore before and enjoyed the Harbor area (living in Cleveland, I am jealous we could do so much more with our waterfront :thumbsup: ) and I have also been to Camden Yards. I will be with another co-worker who is also a baseball fan, so I think it is a done deal that we will make the trip. I'm just evaluating the best way to do that. I looked up some rental car rates and they seem to be pretty cheap...can get an economy rental for under $20 for a day...that seems to be the cost/time efficient way to go. The public transport method is appealing because we wouldn't have to drive after indulging in several adult beverages.

Between Baltimore and DC, I always used a car. In DC the Metro is fun and cheap. You can get a day pass with unlimited use for cheap (it was $5, but may have gone up). Don't make the mistake of parking your car in a Metro parking lot. On exiting, you can not pay with cash, credit card, or check. This may leave you wondering how you do pay...you buy a $15 pass that takes a while to use up.

In downtown DC, I always liked the Old Ebbitt Grill. It has the original gas lights (open flame) still in use. U.S. Grant was a frequent customer back in the day. It is very close to the White House and House Reps and Senators are all over the place.