Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

Q&A

Pennington or McNair :unsure:

Last 8 weeks of the season according to Crank....

Tm  G  Crank Fpts   Elite	  #1	   Subpar
13. Steve McNair		BAL 8 20.02 16.02 25.00% 50.00% 50.00% 
14. Brett Favre			GB 8 19.88 15.91 25.00% 50.00% 50.00% 
15. Michael Vick		 ATL 8 19.39 17.24 12.50% 50.00% 50.00% 
16. Chad Pennington   NYJ 8 17.99 15.99 12.50% 50.00% 50.00% 

I think McNair has better weapons at RB, WR, and TE. That might change with the draft, but how much? I think minimally...

I'd take McNair. He has a better arm, skill players, and I think Mark Clayton is due to bust out....Coles' toe is a lingering issue for the rest of his career. Cotchery is a solid possession guy that can get loose for the big play, but there is no TE and the RBs are suspect...

Wildman,

I know it wasn't one of your options, but I'll ask anyways. If you don't want to reply, I understand.

Our league is switching to an auction draft this year, with two keepers. Not sure how to go with it. What do you suggest.

Several good players at good value or two or three can't miss studs for a high price.

Our cap is going to be $260.00 and we have to have 16 on our roster.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last 8 weeks of the season according to Crank....

Tm  G  Crank Fpts   Elite	  #1	   Subpar
13. Steve McNair		BAL 8 20.02 16.02 25.00% 50.00% 50.00% 
14. Brett Favre			GB 8 19.88 15.91 25.00% 50.00% 50.00% 
15. Michael Vick		 ATL 8 19.39 17.24 12.50% 50.00% 50.00% 
16. Chad Pennington   NYJ 8 17.99 15.99 12.50% 50.00% 50.00% 

I think McNair has better weapons at RB, WR, and TE. That might change with the draft, but how much? I think minimally...

I'd take McNair. He has a better arm, skill players, and I think Mark Clayton is due to bust out....Coles' toe is a lingering issue for the rest of his career. Cotchery is a solid possession guy that can get loose for the big play, but there is no TE and the RBs are suspect...

First off I just want to say I totally respect your knowledge and view you as the best fantasy football writer out there, but perhaps your man love for McNair is blinding you a little. Not that he isn't a better QB than Pennington (I'll give you that), but better skill players surrounding him?

Coles-Cotchery are a better tandem than Clayton and Mason. CLayton has big things on his horizon but isn't quite there yet and Mason is past his prime and has shown a serious decline. Cole's toe didn't seem to be a problem last season and Cotchery is much more than a "solid possession guy", he had two huge plays against New England alone (Regular season at Meadowlands and the playoff game at Foxboro).

Thomas Jones has proven to be a superior back than McGahee (who is now a plodder and dancer). Not to mention Leon Washington's big play capabilities and Houston's hard running as well. What does Baltimore have behind McGahee a busted up Musa Smith and an unproven Ross and Daniels.

I'll coveniently leave out the Heap/Baker comparisons

First off I just want to say I totally respect your knowledge and view you as the best fantasy football writer out there, but perhaps your man love for McNair is blinding you a little. Not that he isn't a better QB than Pennington (I'll give you that), but better skill players surrounding him?

Coles-Cotchery are a better tandem than Clayton and Mason. CLayton has big things on his horizon but isn't quite there yet and Mason is past his prime and has shown a serious decline. Cole's toe didn't seem to be a problem last season and Cotchery is much more than a "solid possession guy", he had two huge plays against New England alone (Regular season at Meadowlands and the playoff game at Foxboro).

Thomas Jones has proven to be a superior back than McGahee (who is now a plodder and dancer). Not to mention Leon Washington's big play capabilities and Houston's hard running as well. What does Baltimore have behind McGahee a busted up Musa Smith and an unproven Ross and Daniels.

I'll coveniently leave out the Heap/Baker comparisons

You're probably right!!! LOL....I forgot about the Jones addition--alittle busy evaluating the talents of players like Brian Leonard, Tyler Palko, etc. Very good argument here. I'm still a bit leery of Coles-Cotchery, but I do agree Clayton hasn't busted out yet so my view is more speculative. I still think Cotchery isn't a guy that gets open in bracketed coverage and the presence of a very fast Coles makes a big difference in his opportunities.

Good argument though and you know I've got the man-love for McNair so I can't argue against it very well...it's my admitted blindspot...

Wildman,

I know it wasn't one of your options, but I'll ask anyways. If you don't want to reply, I understand.

Our league is switching to an auction draft this year, with two keepers. Not sure how to go with it. What do you suggest.

Several good players at good value or two or three can't miss studs for a high price.

Our cap is going to be $260.00 and we have to have 16 on our roster.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My auction articles from 2006 might not be a bad thing to check out. You'll see some examples as to why I tend to go for the 2-3 can't-miss studs and take my chances on finding gold in the late rounds. If you know you have a good "feel" for young players with a chance to break out, then I'd definitely go this route (that's why I do it). Don't worry about overspending on two stud RBs. For the past three years, I heard fantasy football writers in these auction leagues I referred to in the articles comment about owners (me for the past two seasons and the previous champ and 3-time finalist for the past three) overspending on these backs. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in the technique of "drafting perfectly" rather than drafting for the final result.

The first year I did an auction league with these writers, I tried to draft perfectly and while my team got mentioned by 4-5 of the writers as a well-drafted team in the pre-season, I just missed the playoffs. The next two years, I didn't get mentioned at all after the draft as having a good team (and one notable site's forum had a poster basically say I was foolish for my choices) but I won the championship two years running in that very league.

It's a bit higher risk because of having fewer players with "established productivity," but if you're going to play to win, you have to be willing to take some bigger risks and lose....

WHAT DOES THE ADDING OF CURTIS DO TO REGGIE BROWN'S VALUE?

Wow, I've been wondering this too. Here's two differing possibilities...

Possibility A:

Curtis is a good player and hidden a bit due to working behind two of the better WRs in the game during their era. Now split wide, he may take some defenses by storm to begin the year while teams focus on the known quantities of Westbrook, Brown, and Smith. By week 5-6, defenses will game plan to stop Curtis and bracket coverage. Curtis has mainly been a slot receiver in St. Louis so this could slow his production for the rest of the year, but free Reggie Brown in a "pick your poison" scenario for opposing defenses.

Possibility B:

Curtis struggles on the outside versus the top two CBs and teams focus on taking away Reggie Brown and Westbrook because they don't have to worry about Curtis at first. But the new WR gets more comfortable by week 6-7 and begins to have some big games, albeit inconsistently. As a result, Reggie Brown starts well, experiences a dip as it becomes clear that Curtis is having difficulties, and then has some better games as the season closes and Philly figures out a way to make it work.

Possibility C:

Curtis does well because Brown, Smith, Wesbrook, and Jeremy Bloom (yes Bloom) in the slot creates too many match up problems for the opposing secondary. This frees Brown to do damage, but he's more consistently good (to a tune of 1100 yards and 6-7 scores) than great because McNair will have so many weapons at his disposal.

I'd probably say possibility B is the one I'd say is most likely. No statistical evidence, this is just what I imagine from watching games and what comes to mind right off the bat.

Does Shanny try a single back approach with Travis Henry, or will he go with a Henry/M. Bell attack?

I think Bell definitely sees time. Probably 25%-35% of the carries in this attack if Henry somehow stays healthy all year, which is not a part of his track record. So more realistically, I'd project Bell to receive 35-45% of the carries.

You're probably right!!! LOL....I forgot about the Jones addition--alittle busy evaluating the talents of players like Brian Leonard, Tyler Palko, etc. Very good argument here. I'm still a bit leery of Coles-Cotchery, but I do agree Clayton hasn't busted out yet so my view is more speculative. I still think Cotchery isn't a guy that gets open in bracketed coverage and the presence of a very fast Coles makes a big difference in his opportunities.

Good argument though and you know I've got the man-love for McNair so I can't argue against it very well...it's my admitted blindspot...

Hey its certainly debatebale either way on who has the better supporting cast and like I said McNair is very likely the better QB NFL and fantasy wise.

I think you should watch Jerricho a little more closely, he's very strong to the ball in coverage and has pretty good speed. As you are very likley aware he was Rivers' go to guy at NC State and broke alot of Torry Holt's records while there.

Hey its certainly debatebale either way on who has the better supporting cast and like I said McNair is very likely the better QB NFL and fantasy wise.

I think you should watch Jerricho a little more closely, he's very strong to the ball in coverage and has pretty good speed. As you are very likley aware he was Rivers' go to guy at NC State and broke alot of Torry Holt's records while there.

Yeah, I'll have to watch him more. I just saw him in a few games at NC State and had him pegged more as a possession guy. Probably the same way people have Steve Smith at USC pegged this way--and incorrectly...