Sign in to follow this  
Walter34

Bears Draft Needs

The biggest unresolved situation is with Briggs and therefore LB is likely the immediate need, whether it be this year or next. Outside of that situation, there isnt a serious need for 2007, but many areas that could be needs in 2008. How the Bears draft will tell alot as far as future free agents on the team and where they are headed.

QB - Set for 2007. The Bears will go with Grossman, Griese and Orton one more time. At some point during the year, they will make a long term decision with Rex and either sign him long term or look for a new option in '08. He obviously needs to be more consistent and cut down on his turnovers. There is no immediate need for qb for this year.

RB - Benson and Peterson are the 1-2 punch now. The Bears could use another back who can catch screens and possibly share carries as a backup. They will likely draft a mid round RB around the 4th round or so.

WR - Muhammed is entering the rich part of his contract and into his 30s. He's a solid leader and intermediate WR without the big play ability. Berrian is emerging as the go to deep threat. After that there is some youth and potential, but more depth is needed based on injuries and unproven players. I'd like to see a day 1 WR

TE - Clark had his best year last year and elevated his value to mediocre. The Bears could use a TE, but I dont see it as a huge need. They may or may not grab one.

OL - Fred Miller is 34 and Ruben Brown who was signed for one more year is 35. The line is solid, but old. All starters return as well as Terrence Metcalf who could start. A tackle and guard will be needed for '08. I'd like one of the early picks to be on an olineman.

DE - A solid deep group, but Ogunleye hasnt played up to his contract. He may be a cap casualty next year which would mean they could be looking at a DE this year.

DT - There is question marks, but the group looks good for this year. Depending on Tank and how sophomore Dvoracek does, the Bears may need a DT next year. It could also be a need sooner if things go bad. Overall, I wouldnt make a move for another DT until next year, but they may resign Ian Scott for depth.

LB - Even if Briggs plays this year, he will need to be replaced next year. With all the pending FAs, I dont see them signing him long term. Hillenmeyer is ok, but not great and was embarassed in the SB with missed tackles. Depth is also iffy, so LB is a need any way you cut it.

CB - This is a critical spot based on whether they resign both Tillman and Vasher. If they draft a CB, it likely means that one of them is gone for sure. Backups are Ricky Manning and project Hester.

S - Mike Brown, Daniel Manning and Arhuletta are the trio in the middle. They should be fine if Brown can stay healthy, but an 08 safety is likely in the plans.

Preferred Draft picks:

1. LB

2. OL

3. WR

4. RB

5. S

6. DE

7. OL

assuming re-signing harris is a given, i don't see them being able to keep both vasher and tillman--not with the dough cbs are getting these days in free agency.

cb thus might a day 1 pick need (might be good value depending on who falls). i also think dt depth is a need for this year. they're thin there and counting on tank is risky. it might be argued that could be a "first" need for this year over cb and lb, which might not be needs until next year (briggs situation depending). o-line depth/youth for the rotation might also be a more need for this year.

i could see them going dt and o-line with the first two picks (if they hang onto those picks where they're at).

Pretty much agree with Walter and Swamp. I would love one of the OT's like Sears and maybe Jason Hill (WR) in the 2nd, but I have a feeling the Bears will go DT with one of the early picks to replance Tank.

Pretty much agree with Walter and Swamp. I would love one of the OT's like Sears and maybe Jason Hill (WR) in the 2nd, but I have a feeling the Bears will go DT with one of the early picks to replance Tank.

Could be. The Adams signing makes it less urgent. They had high hopes for Dvoracek before the injury as well. Overall there is no immediate needs other than LB if Briggs sits, but there is many pending needs depending on how they plan out the next two years.

Could be. The Adams signing makes it less urgent. They had high hopes for Dvoracek before the injury as well. Overall there is no immediate needs other than LB if Briggs sits, but there is many pending needs depending on how they plan out the next two years.

tank is most assuredly going to miss games doing time in goodell's jail, given the ax that fell today on henry and pac man. i'd say if he gets off with a month suspension you bear fans should be doing :dunno: :huh:

dt will thus be a critical need.

edit: mortensen on the dan patrick show said expect tank to sit the year :D

maybe bear fans would do a :unsure: over 8 games? :dunno:

Personally, I don't think the Bears should even concern themselves with the D side of the ball. Their D is strong enough. Maybe a small hole here and there, but overall just fine.

In todays NFL, the teams to beat are in the AFC. You could go undefeated in the NFC and still get your arse handed to you in the SB. The Bears should be planning to play up to Indy/NE standards if they wish to compete for a title.

Thus, they need difference makers on the O side.

$.02

The Bears are young and talented at every position on the defensive side of the ball, although I could see them taking a DE in round 1. They need some youth at the T and G positions, and possibly a WR to team up with Berrian down the road. I'm guessing they go OT in round 1.

edit: mortensen on the dan patrick show said expect tank to sit the year :mad:

maybe bear fans would do a :mad: over 8 games? :dunno:

Based on the heavy suspensions handed down, I would guess 8 games is the minimum he would get. So be it. I still dont consider DT the primary need just because of Tank. There is more pressing needs elsewhere and several potential options at DT. Thinking beyond 2007, other positions need the focus.