Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy1

Weekend Poker Story

Full Tilt's been running a series of events, hosted by their name players. Yesterday was the last one of the month, hosted by Gus Hansen. 500 dollar buy in, over 3000 players. I really wanted to play in that tourney, but not by spending the money. So I plan on going the satellite route.

First opportunity presents itself by cashing in poker points. 50 poker points gets you into a 54 person tourney, winner advances into a much larger sat. I had 1600 points, so after 6 attempts, I win the 54 person tourney. In the first 5 times, I have a 3rd and 5th, so I'm playing pretty decently.

Get into the main sat, 3000 people, 45 advance. Gets down to 180, I'm sitting around 40, with20K in chips, get KK in the BB. Guy in mp with 10K goes all, immediately, guy right behind with 40K calls, no raise...figure some PP. I move all my chips in. 40K guy thinks, thinks...finally calls.

First guy flips J10, second guy 22. Flop comes QQ8...4...9. Friggin J10 hits a straight, I end up just breaking even on the hand, 50K plus pot. :wall: J10 guy then goes out moving all in with A2, on a stone cold bluff, against a KQ board...

Then my cards freeze up, try to buy some blinds, have to lay that down to an all in. Get to the break 90th out of 110. First hand after the break, AK suited UTG, push all my chips in, MP raises all in, with AQ, flops the Q, I four flush the turn, but brick the river. Out in 95th. :(

So my last chance is a 5 dollar rebuy, 5 dollar addon. 100+ I think, No rebuy but I add on. Only first place moves to the Hansen tourney. Nothing major happens in the tourney, but I'm playing pretty well. Everytime I check I'm in the top 25%. Before long I'm at the final table, in 5th. Works down to 5 and I'm in 2nd. Then down to 3, were all pretty even, 35k to 50K.

That's when the guy in third goes on a tear. In 3 hands he wipes out the guy in first place. He moves from 40K to 100K! 3 hands and he gets 3 monsters. I have 35K, the blinds are now 2400, 4800 and I'm getting crap. First 3 hands of heads up, and he goes all in each time. My highest card being a 10. Get A4, move all in, he folds. Next hand, A8, from the button he moves all in. Gotta call, he flips 44 and it holds up. 2nd place. :wall:

So all in all, I played some damn fine poker, but what do I have to show for 8 hours of play. 65 dollars net. :doh:

I watched some of the tourney, Saw Hansen build up 80k in chips, then donks off 45K when he raised from the button with Q9, SB moves all in, and he calls to lose to 10/10. Funny he went out the same way I went out of my first tourney, when his AK lost to AQ. He finished in 400's for 800 bucks. Doubt he cared, since I saw he was playing like 5 money tables and had around 350,000 bucks in play. :thumbsdown:

Seems like you had a pretty decent weekend, just not much real money involved. :sleep:

Also, "bad beats" is what made me have to stop playing poker online and in real life. I'm not mentally equipped to handle it. :lol:

I'm not mentally equipped to handle it. :lol:

I am shocked. :sleep:

Seems like you had a pretty decent weekend, just not much real money involved. :sleep:

Also, "bad beats" is what made me have to stop playing poker online and in real life. I'm not mentally equipped to handle it. :(

So Ed, as far as demeanors go, are you more of a Phil Helmuth or Mike "da mouth" Matasow at the poker table? :lol:

I can see either. :lol:

I am shocked. :lol:

:lol:

So Ed, as far as demeanors go, are you more of a Phil Helmuth or Mike "da mouth" Matasow at the poker table? :(

I can see either. :sleep:

A combo of both really. 70% Helmuth 30% Matasow

Also, "bad beats" is what made me have to stop playing poker online and in real life. I'm not mentally equipped to handle it. :(

It wasn't bad, just not the results I wanted, obviously. Really thought in that tourney with 45 tickets, I was going to advance to the main event. Not that I thought I would get it, but first place was a cool 387 grand. :lol: Thought I was playing well enough to money though... :lol:

Just got steamrolled when I took 2nd. Had one hand in the BB, I thought about, he had gone all in 2 previous times preflop, just bullying and I had 87 off. Was down to 25K against his 110 and knew I needed to gamble and double really quickly. Passed on that, then the next hands were the A4, A8.

The 87 wouldn't have been the worst hand I've thrown all my chips in the middle on, he was using his chips to lean on me, so who knows what he had? About the only 2nd guessing I'm doing from the tourney.

It wasn't bad, just not the results I wanted, obviously. Really thought in that tourney with 45 tickets, I was going to advance to the main event. Not that I thought I would get it, but first place was a cool 387 grand. :sleep: Thought I was playing well enough to money thought... :lol:

Just got steamrolled in when I took 2nd. Had one hand in the BB, I thought about, he had gone all in 2 previous times preflop, just bullying and I had 87 off. Was down to 25K against his 110 and knew I needed to gamble and double really quickly. Passed on that, then the next hands were the A4, A8.

The 87 wouldn't have been the worst hand I've thrown all my chips in the middle on, he was using his chips to lean on me, so who knows what he had? About the only 2nd guessing I'm doing from the tourney.

I might have been all in with the 87 :lol:

I might have been all in with the 87 :sleep:

I pretty much timed out on that one, folded with about 2 seconds left. In hindsight, I should of pushed, since I went out 2 hands later anyway, even if I lost, same result.

It wasn't bad, just not the results I wanted, obviously. Really thought in that tourney with 45 tickets, I was going to advance to the main event. Not that I thought I would get it, but first place was a cool 387 grand. :sleep: Thought I was playing well enough to money thought... :lol:

Just got steamrolled in when I took 2nd. Had one hand in the BB, I thought about, he had gone all in 2 previous times preflop, just bullying and I had 87 off. Was down to 25K against his 110 and knew I needed to gamble and double really quickly. Passed on that, then the next hands were the A4, A8.

That's what really kills me when I get beat when I was a huge favorite. One time in a tourney on pokerroom, 1st was like 17k. I was chip leader after the 4th break, top 80 or something got money. after the break, in 7 hands I was out in 90th. 3 bad beats in 7 hands and I was crushed, I still think about it to this day (obviously) I can't even imagine if it were for 170k, I'd be suicidal. In the end it's just not worth it. I would be a terrible closer in baseball, if i blew a game it would be with me for weeks.

:sleep:

A combo of both really. 70% Helmuth 30% Matasow

Well, Helmuth wasn't there, but Matasow was playing in the tourney, he didn't even make the money.

That's what really kills me when I get beat when I was a huge favorite. One time in a tourney on pokerroom, 1st was like 17k. I was chip leader after the 4th break, top 80 or something got money. after the break, in 7 hands I was out in 90th. 3 bad beats in 7 hands and I was crushed, I still think about it to this day (obviously) I can't even imagine if it were for 170k, I'd be suicidal. In the end it's just not worth it. I would be a terribly closer in baseball, if i blew a game it would be with me for weeks.

That is what is tough about poker (and I think it was mentioned in Rounders), you never remember the hands you won. Just the brutal losses.

That's what really kills me when I get beat when I was a huge favorite. One time in a tourney on pokerroom, 1st was like 17k. I was chip leader after the 4th break, top 80 or something got money. after the break, in 7 hands I was out in 90th. 3 bad beats in 7 hands and I was crushed, I still think about it to this day (obviously) I can't even imagine if it were for 170k, I'd be suicidal. In the end it's just not worth it. I would be a terribly closer in baseball, if i blew a game it would be with me for weeks.

That is tough, no doubt about it. I was pretty bummed about the AK losing to the AQ, but just got to move on after it. Only thing you can take from those, "I played better, I was smarter but was just outlucked". Sucks and there isn't anything to learn from crap like that.

Its the ones like the 87 I had...or hands that maybe I could of played differently that I try to learn something.

It seems to me that your definition of a bad beat is not what most people would define as a bad beat. In many cases the odds are probably less skewed than you think. I suspect that's one reason you think you get so many of them.

That is what is tough about poker (and I think it was mentioned in Rounders), you never remember the hands you won. Just the brutal losses.

you're absolutely correct. I've won multis on Pokerroom and in person. I can't tell you the hand I won with, or even a bad beat I may have put on someone else. I'm the most negative person in the history of this world and I wish I could change it. :(

Its the ones like the 87 I had...or hands that maybe I could of played differently that I try to learn something.

Just re-read your original post. I definitely would have been all in with the 87. You've only got 5x the big blind and he's raising with anything. Unless you get really unlucky and go all in and he has a high PP your odds can't be that bad, and you can't keep letting your chips dwindle.

It seems to me that your definition of a bad beat is not what most people would define as a bad beat. In many cases the odds are probably less skewed than you think. I suspect that's one reason you think you get so many of them.

I think that J10 gutshoting that 9 was pretty bad. :(

I think that J10 gutshoting that 9 was pretty bad. :(

No doubt.

Just re-read your original post. I definitely would have been all in with the 87. You've only got 5x the big blind and he's raising with anything. Unless you get really unlucky and go all in and he has a high PP your odds can't be that bad, and you can't keep letting your chips dwindle.

Pretty much agree, should of made my stand there, when he was willing to pay off. He folded when I moved all in with the A4, so that gained me nothing.

Most likely at worse I was 40-60 dog, but if he's K4, then I'm 45-55.

What I was thinking at the time when I mucked, okay, he's bullying, I'll move all in next hand no matter what, I show any strength he'll fold. Figured I'd buy some more time, and hope for a better situation. And that's what happened, then I got the A8, BB...and that was it.

Oh well. With a 55 dollar gross, that's 11---five for five meals at Arbys.

AQ suited against A7 unsuited pre flop isn't a huge favorite?

How about calling someones all in after the turn and they need one of the 2 jacks left inthe deck and get it on the river? That a big enough favorite for you?

Why must you make me drudge up these memories. Fock you and your mother! :mad: :(

It was fun watching Hansen play for a bit. At 800-1600 blinds with ante, pot was 2200. Table average was around 20K to 45K, he just starts bullying everyone. In 30 minutes he went from 25K to 80K and never showed down a hand. Just out-playing everyone pre and post flop. I don't even think in any of those hands it went to the turn. Then he makes that donk move.

1000-2000 blinds, ante brought it to around 4K. On the button he raises to 8k. SB moves all in for 40K. So were looking at 52K pot. He makes a 32K for 52K. I'm still trying to figure out how he worked out that math, where that was a reasonable call. :(

It was fun watching Hansen play for a bit. At 800-1600 blinds with ante, pot was 2200. Table average was around 20K to 45K, he just starts bullying everyone. In 30 minutes he went from 25K to 80K and never showed down a hand. Just out-playing everyone pre and post flop. I don't even think in any of those hands it went to the turn. Then he makes that donk move.

1000-2000 blinds, ante brought it to around 4K. On the button he raises to 8k. SB moves all in for 40K. So were looking at 52K pot. He makes a 32K for 52K. I'm still trying to figure out how he worked out that math, where that was a reasonable call. :(

It's Gus Hansen. I've watched him on TV enough to know math sometimes doesn't figure into it.