Sign in to follow this  
steel827

What do you think of this stategy?

10 team, Normal scoring (no PPR) except QB TDs are 6 pts.

I'm selecting 2nd.

This is what I'm thinking:

1st Round (2) - Jackson

2nd Round (19) - R. Brown or T.Jones type of RB2

3rd Round (22) - Palmer or Brady, who ever is there

4th & 5th rounds (39 & 42) - Andre Johnson/TJ/Evans type, but grabbing two of them.

Here is my reasoning for going out of tradition. I have been hammered with bad QBs the last two years. Inconsistency kills me. Bypassing a WR in the 2nd & 3rd rounds allows me to do this while still obtaining 2 #2 type wides. I found that wides are hit or miss week by week and there isn't much of a difference between the 6th overall wide and the 20th. They can be such a crapshoot anyways. Last year I had terrible backs and a bad QB to go along with 4 top wides and I wasn't even competitive.

I'd like to know if I'm really out there.

In a 10 teamer I see no problem with that, however if the run of WRs never starts in the 2nd round and you are looking at a stud WR or an RB that you weren't really thinking about because it would be too early for him - I take the WR. Don't go in with a mind set of ok I'm definitely going RB/RB no matter what, sometimes you gotta roll with how the draft is going. Also in the 3rd round you may not be looking at Brady or Palmer, but possibly Brees. Be prepared to decide are you ok taking Brees that early or do you want to take another RB or WR.

Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I try and go with value rather than position. I would rather take a Smith or Chad than a Portis or another question mark. I could live with Brees or Bulger (weird combo with Jax), but I really don't think any of the top 6 are going to be there for me in the bottom half of the 4th round. There seems to such a drop off from the top 6 and the rest. I really don't want to get caught up in a Rivers or Romo and lose the consistency factor. we play head to head and we have playoffs and a SB at the end. Fight for the playoffs is a factor.

Something like that is fine (RB/RB/QB/WR/WR). Just be ready to change on the fly. Drafts never quite go as you plan them to, as some people always reach and throw a wrench in there. If the second round still has a top tier WR like a Chad Johnson, you may want to nab him at pick 19. Make sure you carefully tier your cheatsheet which will help you make decisions on the fly.

I think getting 2 RBs with the first 2 picks is never a bad idea. After that, I would advice against getting your heart set on anything. Wait to see how the draft plays out. Putting blinders on will only cause you to miss out on value.