Sign in to follow this  
Vanillarainstorm

Are the G-Men gonna be bad this year? And can Droughns actually bust into Jacob's workload

People seem pretty down on the Giants this year. I understand losing Barber is a huge blow, but the guy seemed to be a cancer in the locker room. They have LT concerns, but overall is this team just that much worse than last year?

Jacobs to me is the biggest mystery of the draft. He's physically the most imposing RB the league has seen in years, maybe ever. he has the speed, power you'd crave.

But is he built to handle the full workload.

I know many are predicting Droughns to cut into his time. Many of those people i doubt are Cleveland homers. I am one, and was able to see first hand Droughns go from tough, talented back, to slow, hesitant plodder.

But ultimately this will come down to the Giants. If they are heading where many are predicting, it might be a moot point...

Thoughts?

Couldn't disagree more. Droughns is the epitome of average and won't be a factor.....Jacobs is going to have an MONSTER year. Don't be surprised if he's borderline top 5 by seasons end.

Guest _my_2_cents_
It's not a matter of if...but WHEN...it will be RBBC by week 6.

:lol:

link?

Everything I've heard from the Giants would seem to indicate otherwise.

Couldn't disagree more. Droughns is the epitome of average and won't be a factor.....Jacobs is going to have an MONSTER year. Don't be surprised if he's borderline top 5 by seasons end.

As a resident Jacobs basher I will have to admit this-no one can really say either way. The guy has carried the ball more than 150 times in a season exactly one time since high school.

It is pretty much the same with Reggie Bush. There is no real track record for how they will fare attempting to shoulder an average of 20 carries a game because it is something neither has done before and everyone is really just taking a side on nothing more than gut feeling.

Right now I think the bigger concern is can the Giants "D" hold anybody so that the runningame doesnt become a nonfactor!If they can, barring injury, I lean toward the side that Jacobs plays well and has atleast a solid season showing.

:dunno:

link?

What are you seeing that indicates it's not RBBC? I'm not doubting you, but I haven't seen anything really convincing either way.

The Giants will have to use RBBC to help them win any games, especially if their Run D is that bad. Jacobs could have a huge year ( I hope he does), but what good is a running game if they don't have the lead going into the fourth quarter. Eli needs to step it up and utilize his weapons. He needs to stop over thinking every throw and just play.

What are you seeing that indicates it's not RBBC? I'm not doubting you, but I haven't seen anything really convincing either way.

Droughns has alread admitted to the press that he is the backup...

And no, I'm not going to find a link.

If you have followed TC reports at all, then you know how much of a good camp Jacobs is having.

Guest JahRasta311
Droughns has alread admitted to the press that he is the backup...

And no, I'm not going to find a link.

If you have followed TC reports at all, then you know how much of a good camp Jacobs is having.

You're full of shite, didn't you get banned?

Guest JahRasta311

What is a vanilla rainstorm? :dunno:

:dunno:

link?

Droughns was brought in as depth/insurance. The Giants gave up nothing to get him (Less than nothing in fact, Tim Carter), and his salary is managable. I don't see why Jacobs should fail. He has nice speed to go with his size and though while he lacks quickness, he can simply run over a CB that gets in his way.

I don't think he'll have a long career if he continues in his style, but this year he'll produce. He's even a better pass catcher than people would think.

lets not forget about Ahmed Bradshaw

The thing I'm concerned about is his conditioning and his ability to take the full load. There were some games last year where he would get the ball a few times during a drive and he was exhausted. Not a good sign when a big guy gets tired. Just something that stuck out last year. I think he has a huge upside, but I am cautiously optimistic.

The thing I'm concerned about is his conditioning and his ability to take the full load. There were some games last year where he would get the ball a few times during a drive and he was exhausted. Not a good sign when a big guy gets tired. Just something that stuck out last year. I think he has a huge upside, but I am cautiously optimistic.

I dont worry about his conditioning. Its pro football, either he will be in shape to play and play hard for 4 quarters or not. If not, then its a moot point whether we are trying to figure out if this guy is a late 2nd round pick or a 5th round pick.

What I worry about is whether the NYG oline is going to be able to do their job and if Manning is going to be effective enough to not let any team stack the box against Jacobs and give him some room to run.

I have the 1st overall pick in my 12-teamer, and I know I am not the only one thinking about pulling the trigger on this guy with my 2nd pick or the 3rd wraparound pick. If he is a 12 TD, 1100 guy, him and LT are looking pretty formidable. If he is an asssclown, then I am pretty much focked.

I think people are writing Droughns off too quickly. The guy put up respectable numbers in a horrible Browns offence for a few years. He's not exactly LT, but the guy is a solid RB. The hype for Jacobs is getting a little crazy, given his career so far.

This isn't a link, but its from cbs sports:

Jacobs changing his run style Updated 7/26/07

Jacobs, Brandon RB NYG

News: The Newark Star-Ledger reports that Giants RB Brandon Jacobs has worked hard this offseason to become a more effective rusher. Instead of being so physical, Jacobs has tailored his game to be more elusive as well as hard-nosed. "The last two years I've been trained into being a missile that goes straight ahead all the time," Jacobs said. "But I am a running back and I do have moves. I don't have to run over somebody all the time. I can, but I don't have to. I can make you miss, too." Analysis: Jacobs should end up being the Giants' primary running back in 2007 with Reuben Droughns assisting him. Expect Jacobs to see anywhere from 15-to-20 touches per game and teammate Reuben Droughns to get 10-to-15 touches per game. Jacobs will also do the goal-line duty, which puts him light years ahead of Droughns in Fantasy play. Consider Jacobs a low-end No. 2/top-end No. 3 Fantasy RB for now (just to play it safe) while Droughns is more of a low-end No. 3 RB and solid insurance for those owners who draft Jacobs in Rounds 3 through 4.

Its a few weeks old, but the best I could find. As a True Blue Giants fan, I think they are going to struggle this year. Unless the O-line and the defense play better than they have shown so far, Eli and B Jacobs will both have tough seasons. As stated above, he's never run the ball as much as he will this year so it could really go either way. I agree with the article that as a #3 RB, Jacobs is great. Using him as a #2 has high risk, but potential for high reward.

Go G-men!

Another Giants fan here, and what I can tell you is this... It is an eerilly quiet offseason, IMO, and I think the reason for this is that nobody knows what to expect! Personally, I'm questionable about this season, with a lean towards doubtful. Manning has been a huge dissappointment for what they gave up for him, and now there is a real opening for leadership on the team. I haven't heard any little mouse squeaks from Manning yet, Strahan is a no show right now, Tiki is gone, and Coughlin is still trying to find the parking lot. The good news is that Shockey did work out with Manning in the offseason, but I don't know if Shockey is smart enough to be a leader, or if the coaching staff really wants that.

It feels like a team with no personality and no voice... which isn't a way to win a dog eat dog division.

As for Jacobs, well this is really the great experiment isn't it? My concern is that when you have a guy that big, you have to open a hole big enough for him to fit through. When you're that big, initial burst to the hole is a concern, and there was a link in a Jacobs post earlier this summer which suggested that his intial speed was average, but his breakaway speed was great. So, you've got an OL, with big questions of its own, that has to open up bigger holes and hold them for a longer time, or else that breakaway speed will never even become a factor.

The only thing that I'm hoping is that they are smart enough to get Jacobs involved in the passing game, because even Eli would have trouble over throwing him, like he does everyone else.