Sign in to follow this  
Urlacher54

Ronnie Brown

My league had a very early draft so i drafted Ronnie Brown second round 14th overall in a 10 man league, during this time maroney and rudi were still on the board but turned up being 2nd 3rd round picks due to the earliest edition of draft boards....anyway i have been watching Ronnie's stock drop week after week and was wondering what you guys think of him? Head coach Cam Cameron says he wants more out of brown and has yet to name Brown the starter stating "The competition is wide open" Now i personally i think hes just trying to get his rb's to work harder...In fact Cam Cameron does not even sit-in on defensive team meetings and i just tthink hes being tough to get the most out of his offensive.....Now if Cam Cameron turns the offense around Miami already has a good Defense so i think they could have a much better season

Anyway the main focus here is what do you think of Ronnie Brown's fantasy value? He had a little more than 1,000 yards rushing last year but he missed three games (not saying hes good just letting you know)

I just don't buy the hype. There's always some reason why Ronnie Brown will dominate THIS year, and then when the same hype rolls around that next August, it's full of excuses why he was a bust LAST year. I'm staying away. Would have gone Rudi in your situation. I'd say 1200-1400 yards and 12-14 TDs for Brown would be the ceiling based on his stats so far (would be a huge improvement), meanwhile, that's damn-near a lock for Rudi.

Nay... Miami's offense sux...

coming from a miami homer...this is true...i def would have gone rudi

i know i would have gone rudi as well if we drafted today but we drafted so early that Ronnie brown was the consensus 10th best rb, so i though i actaully got a steal..but i had a HUGE steal taking Steve Jackson at 6th overall

Would have went Rudi or Maroney over Ronnie. I'm a Ronnie owner (2nd round of a 16 teamer)

nay. miami offense = the suck. i got burned last year. He looked promising after that week 1 pittsburgh game then it was all down hill. I'm not touching him this year.

Yay. Ronnie is getting no love. He is talented and although the O-Line is still not very good, you've got to believe that it will be better than last year when he rushed for 1,000+ yards and missed a couple of games. Also, Trent Green will keep defenses a bit more honest, and Cam Cameron is a run-first coach that will find ways to get Ronnie the ball behind some effective blocking schemes.

IMHO, Ronnie is now much more valuable than his ADP and is a steal in the late 2nd round or third round.

Ronnie Brown is a talented back, he breaks lots of tackles runs through and around people... unfortunately with his offensive line (and they are truly offensive) he ends up breaking several tackles in the backfield.. I think he can get 1000 yds rushing 300 receiving on his natural talent.. but 8 tds is about his high end im afraid if your in a ppr league he might end up just outside the top 10, because hes likely to catch 50+ passes but until they improve the offensive line I wouldnt be confident about him getting higher then top 15-20

Also, FWIW, Fox Sports Ranks the Miami O-Line right in the middle of the pack at #14 (see link below);

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7036746

Frankly, I ain't buying a #14 rank, but I'm just saying that Ronnie isn't running behind swiss cheese either.

Buy Low, sell High, ... I'm on Ronnie Brown like white on rice.

i know i would have gone rudi as well if we drafted today but we drafted so early that Ronnie brown was the consensus 10th best rb, so i though i actaully got a steal..but i had a HUGE steal taking Steve Jackson at 6th overall

SJax on the board at 6, and Rudi still there at 14????!!!! :overhead:

How did the first 2 rounds of this draft shake out? Just curious.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Ronnie Brown is a talented back, he breaks lots of tackles runs through and around people... unfortunately with his offensive line (and they are truly offensive) he ends up breaking several tackles in the backfield.. I think he can get 1000 yds rushing 300 receiving on his natural talent.. but 8 tds is about his high end im afraid if your in a ppr league he might end up just outside the top 10, because hes likely to catch 50+ passes but until they improve the offensive line I wouldnt be confident about him getting higher then top 15-20

good summary.

I think Brown has all the talent of a feature back and the negative hype right now is people buying into coach speak. The only downside to Brown is the crappy team around him. If Green can show me something and open up the offense, then the running game will click right along with it. If Green & the O-Line suck, Brown will be less effective, but should still be a top 14 RB.

I was able to get him on Saturday at 2.11, which I thought was ridiculous value. There was a run on QBs in the 2nd (3 of them - amazing) and the guy before me took Chad Johnson.

I feel like he's a steal at 2.11 - from the sound of you folks, he's undraftable. :overhead:

Hate to pile on but as a Miami homer, I also have to say NAY b/c of many factors...

1.) Cam/Mueller went into the offseason with a top ranked D and one of the worst OL's in the NFL and then spent all their big FA $ on Joey Porter instead of OL help.

2.) In the draft, they didn't get enough OL help either. Late 2nd round C Samson Satele was a good pick and he will start but he is better at pass protection than run blocking and they didn't get much else. (#9 overall pick Ted Ginn, Jr. is handling PRs only and this week there are reports of him being moved to CB. :overhead: )

Currently, this is the starting OL...

LT Vernon Carey - actually doing nicely at LT

LG Chris Liwienski - journeyman but not looking too bad

C Samson Satele - again, nice pass protection but little push

RG ? (maybe 6th round rookie Drew Mormino)

RT ? (3rd year guy Anthony Alabi has been here but getting schooled)

Yes, the right side of the line is still up for grabs - not a good sign 2 weeks before opening day.

3.) They dumped Culpepper for Trent "has-been" Green at the cost of a conditional 2008 pick. That trade cost Miami the chance to pursue Maryland LT Jarred Gaither in the supplemental draft and former NYJ C/G Pete Kendall via trade.

4.) 26 year old rookie QB John Beck will be starting sooner rather than later if Green is as washed up as I think he is.

5.) Ronnie Brown seems to be a bit of a "workout warrior". Despite blowing away scouts at the combine with a 4.3 40, he still hasn't broken a long TD in 2 years. He runs hard and has great hands but he just doesn't play as fast as he times. He also hasn't been able to stay healty.

If Cameron is smart enough to give him the ball more than 15 times a game he could be a steal. Usually when he gets 20+ carries he puts up big numbers. Unfortunately the trend has been that he sees 15 or so carries a game and it's hard for him to get 'lathered up'.

It's now or never, however.

EDIT: Quick math: He averaged 18 carries per game last year. If you project out to 350 or so carries he's at 1470 yards. So it boils down to if he can stay healthy and if Cameron will give him the carries, which I think he will.

SJax on the board at 6, and Rudi still there at 14????!!!! :overhead:

How did the first 2 rounds of this draft shake out? Just curious.

Well like i said we had a very early draft, and most of the guys in my league are not that smart, They all tended to draft players from their favorite team, Peyton went at 2nd overall and i quietly laughed to myself Reggie Bush was taken just two picks after my Sjax steal LJ was third overall i think, Brian Westbrook went 10th (behind reggie) So i was able to come up with a pretty good roster (assuming brown outs up recent numbers)

Guest _my_2_cents_
If Cameron is smart enough to give him the ball more than 15 times a game he could be a steal. Usually when he gets 20+ carries he puts up big numbers. Unfortunately the trend has been that he sees 15 or so carries a game and it's hard for him to get 'lathered up'.

It's now or never, however.

EDIT: Quick math: He averaged 18 carries per game last year. If you project out to 350 or so carries he's at 1470 yards. So it boils down to if he can stay healthy and if Cameron will give him the carries, which I think he will.

While I agree, some of that is a byproduct of the offense around him either turning the ball over or sputtering in the passing game. Hard to have more than 18 carries when the offense is sitting on the sideline or playing from behind.

MIA has been a team without a QB for so long it makes me wonder if they know how to use one. If they can give Green some time back there this MIA offense has enough weapons to surprise people. I'm shocked by the hate on Brown though - everything I've ever seen of or read about the guy says he's a stud. He put up great numbers in college and absolutely earned/deserved his lofty NFL draft status. He is a terrific young talent and IMO one of the better RBs in the game. Power, speed, hands, elusiveness - he's the total package. I think a lot of this nonsense is sour grapes by fantasy football geeks who've been burned by using a high pick on him.

That, in my opinion is one of the most consistent mistakes that FFB managers make year after year. They allow their bitterness rule their decision making. I waited and waited and waited on L.Jordan in my IDP until landing him in the 11th - that never should have happened. I got burned by him in a small $ league last year and hated his guts - but as a starting RB he has value as a BYE week back right there. Then after my draft he went out and put up two very impressive preseason performances and I've softened my stance on him a bit.

Ronnie Brown is a player that if healthy should in the very least put up rock solid RB2 numbers, regardless of MIA's success. 1000/8 with 30-40 receptions is a lock. His upside is top 5, but a whole lot of good needs to come together for that MIA offense in general for that to happen. My guess is he finishes somewhere in betwen. Making Brown the scapegoat for an inept MIA offense is retarded though - no offense.

Yay. Ronnie is getting no love. He is talented and although the O-Line is still not very good, you've got to believe that it will be better than last year when he rushed for 1,000+ yards and missed a couple of games. Also, Trent Green will keep defenses a bit more honest, and Cam Cameron is a run-first coach that will find ways to get Ronnie the ball behind some effective blocking schemes.

IMHO, Ronnie is now much more valuable than his ADP and is a steal in the late 2nd round or third round.

This is for certain. The offense is going to be a lot better with Green and Cameron. And Brown wasn't that bad considering how bad Culpepper and Harrington played and he broke a hand.

The only reason guys are down on him is people overreached for him last year by putting him in the top 5 overall.

Guest _my_2_cents_
The only reason guys are down on him is people overreached for him last year by putting him in the top 5 overall.

My point exactly.

You know murf, it's funny - I've read a lot of your posts on the board and you and I are 100% in agreement on some things and 100% opposite on others. Weird. You're an enigma to me.

:dunno:

Not that there's anything bad about it - differences of opinion make the world go round.

<_<

My point exactly.

You know murf, it's funny - I've read a lot of your posts on the board and you and I are 100% in agreement on some things and 100% opposite on others. Weird. You're an enigma to me.

:P

Not that there's anything bad about it - differences of opinion make the world go round.

:headbanger:

:wub:

If there was no difference of opinion...this message board would be pretty darn boring.

Edit: NM, covered in the initial post, duh.

I'd look elsewhere, in any event. The mere fact that he hasn't officially been named the starter this close to the beginning of the season is enough reason to pass and let someone else deal with the indigestion.

I'd look elsewhere, in any event. The mere fact that he hasn't officially been named the starter this close to the beginning of the season is enough reason to pass and let someone else deal with the indigestion.

come on, you really think he isn't the starter?

motivation from the new coach...you know the "no job is safe" ploy

yeah, but trent green just got named the starter also when that was a foregone conclusion. seems like just a coaching preference to get people to battle for their spots. ronnie's got a real chance of dropping in a lot of leagues and that's where his best value is. i'm not going to use an overall ~#12 on him, but if he falls to ~20+ i'm all over it.

Guest _my_2_cents_
wasn't goin to draft him since I was burned last year but ended up snagging him in the 4th round.

4th round?

6 team league? :thumbsup:

His ADP is still 1.12

I've seen him slip to the mid-late 2nd but never past the 2nd round.

I have a $1700 WCOFF draft coming up in a couple of weeks. If anyone's fool enough to let Brown slip to me at 2.12 to pair up with LT, I'll be extatic.

4th round?

6 team league? :lol:

His ADP is still 1.12

I've seen him slip to the mid-late 2nd but never past the 2nd round.

I have a $1700 WCOFF draft coming up in a couple of weeks. If anyone's fool enough to let Brown slip to me at 2.12 to pair up with LT, I'll be extatic.

1.12??? where do you get your adp info? antsports has him ~20 for all drafts w/in the last week. that's a dip from ~17 overall.

wasn't goin to draft him since I was burned last year but ended up snagging him in the 4th round.

As I've advised other owners, please be nice to Corky. It's important that we help build his self-esteem.

Guest _my_2_cents_
1.12??? where do you get your adp info? antsports has him ~20 for all drafts w/in the last week. that's a dip from ~17 overall.

I no longer use Antsports. They are rife with computer picks. something lik e80% of their drafts are unmanned. Someone posted the stats early on and I've been going with XPersports and Mock Draft Central (which is the best) since. MDC seems the most accurate to me compared to my actual drafts, and if people are paying to be there it seems like they care just a bit about it.

MDC this week has Ronnie Brown at 18 right now, so apparently he has slipped a bit since last week. My bad. :lol:

Ronnie is OK not great - but how in the name of the fantasy gods could you pass on Rudi and Maroney at that spot????