Sign in to follow this  
avandradejr

The Larry Johnson Dilemna

First off, I'm a fortunate owner of LJ that has started off 2-0. My RB core isn't really anything to write home about. I veered off RB/RB this year. But so far so good.

Anyway, I got this itch that says "trade the bum", but then of course I have the scratch that says "dont do it, 2-0, and he aint done squat yet"

Then I get here, and I see the LT, LJ and SJAX post. From reading that, I see lots of hope for LT and SJAX, but everyone basically sh!tting on LJ. Not the most comforting of reads.

I'm in a 12 team redraft, picked 3rd, and my starting lineup is as follows:

QB - Palmer ( Green on bench ) :overhead:

WR - Moss, 85 ( Bruce on bench ) :cry:

RB - LJ, Julius ( yuck ) :shocking: --- ( Fragile, Chatman and Bennett on bench )

TE - Heap :thumbsup:

Flex - WR Calvin "Megatron" Johnson :thumbsup:

K - Wilkins

DEF - Cheaters

I think I'm okay for now. Do the experts and non-experts think it is wise to hold LJ, or possibly try and get something in return for him now, while he still has somewhat of a name? I got 2 roads, both look okay, just want to see the road that more people will travel on.

Thanks for reading.

Wait a couple more weeks, then sell him to a guy like me for pennies on the dollar.

Kidding, but you're screwed. You're probably best off holding him and hoping he can keep you afloat during the rough part of his sked.

I am in a similar situation record-wise, but I think that your team is more solid.

You could look at adding depth, but I don't think that will win you championships. The reality is that your team should be good enough to take you to the playoffs and you will need to have some good weeks in the playoffs. Right now, it is unlikely that you could pull together a trade that will bring you a stud with enough potential to be better than LJ (unless you find a total chump). As such, I would ride the slowness in numbers for the next few weeks and hope that he regains some semblance of himself during the 2nd half of the season.

I am in a similar situation record-wise, but I think that your team is more solid.

You could look at adding depth, but I don't think that will win you championships. The reality is that your team should be good enough to take you to the playoffs and you will need to have some good weeks in the playoffs. Right now, it is unlikely that you could pull together a trade that will bring you a stud with enough potential to be better than LJ (unless you find a total chump). As such, I would ride the slowness in numbers for the next few weeks and hope that he regains some semblance of himself during the 2nd half of the season.

Thanks for your insight. I kind of wanted to hear "Yeah, you should be able to trade him for LT." :sleep:

Ah well, perhaps he'll turn it around. I just gotta hope my aerial assault can keep up the pace, or something close to it. :banana:

Here is a thread that I started at the beginning of the week ---

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...p;#entry3297462

Some pretty good insight in there that you should check out.

I'm in the same situation, and I'm also 2-0 (12 team Redraft)

But my RB2 happened to be Brandon Jacobs - I was in serious trouble.

I was able to get Derrick Ward off of waivers, so that helped me out alot. Luckily the rest of my team has been able to bail me out. Tony Romo, LJ, Brandon Jacobs, Steve Smith, Roy Williams looked great on paper...

But needless to say, I've had a few problems.

So I was is alot of discussions to trade off Larry Johnson, but the more time passed, the more I think that I've passed through the hard part - especially with both Larry Johnson struggling and B. Jacobs getting hurt. So I've decided to keep him.

I think it will pay off in the end. I've decided that I don't just want a playoff team, because if LJ starts to perfrom anywhere close to what he's done the last couple of years - then I have a potential super bowl winner.

So anyway, since you are 2-0 - I say stick with him. Unless you can get someone like Travis Henry, Joe Addai, or Farnk Gore for him (which I seriously doubt) my advice is to keep him.

Here is a thread that I started at the beginning of the week ---

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...p;#entry3297462

Some pretty good insight in there that you should check out.

I'm in the same situation, and I'm also 2-0 (12 team Redraft)

But my RB2 happened to be Brandon Jacobs - I was in serious trouble.

I was able to get Derrick Ward off of waivers, so that helped me out alot. Luckily the rest of my team has been able to bail me out. Tony Romo, LJ, Brandon Jacobs, Steve Smith, Roy Williams looked great on paper...

But needless to say, I've had a few problems.

So I was is alot of discussions to trade off Larry Johnson, but the more time passed, the more I think that I've passed through the hard part - especially with both Larry Johnson struggling and B. Jacobs getting hurt. So I've decided to keep him.

I think it will pay off in the end. I've decided that I don't just want a playoff team, because if LJ starts to perfrom anywhere close to what he's done the last couple of years - then I have a potential super bowl winner.

So anyway, since you are 2-0 - I say stick with him. Unless you can get someone like Travis Henry, Joe Addai, or Farnk Gore for him (which I seriously doubt) my advice is to keep him.

Thanks Henry. Your post made me feel alot better about this. I think I will keep him...now, if I can just unload JJ or Fragile...hmmmm :doublethumbsup:

Thanks Henry. Your post made me feel alot better about this. I think I will keep him...now, if I can just unload JJ or Fragile...hmmmm <_<

haha thanks.

You should try to trade JJ while he still has SOME value..

I'm an LJ owner with a 1-1 record, lost a game by 1 point.

I'm keeping him. I knew my team would start slow when I drafted it due to player matchups, being worked along slow, etc. (also have Portis & Rivers). I figured if I could start 1-1 that I'd be fine.

I should have no problem making the playoffs. LJ has a nice playoff sched & could be a monster. That's what I'm holding on for.

I'm an LJ owner with a 1-1 record, lost a game by 1 point.

I'm keeping him. I knew my team would start slow when I drafted it due to player matchups, being worked along slow, etc. (also have Portis & Rivers). I figured if I could start 1-1 that I'd be fine.

I should have no problem making the playoffs. LJ has a nice playoff sched & could be a monster. That's what I'm holding on for.

Ditto. I lost my first game by 2 pts and only b/c Jacobs got hurt in the first half, otherwise I am sitting at 2-0 (thanks Minnesota's defense) with LJ way underperforming. I think I am going to ride him out and wait for Jacobs to get back to speed. My only problem is my flex guys are Fred Taylor and Deshaun. UGH!