Sign in to follow this  
DBZFan2K

Manuel, Phils agree to two-year extension with club option

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3056408

He's one of the worst managers in all of baseball and the Phillies won the division in spite of him. Now they are bringing him back for 2-3 more years under the myth that he is the mastermind of their 2007 success. I just don't get it. I guess Gillick is leaving this as a mess for the next GM to clean up.

The players love him. Simple as that.

Manuel made some bad managing decisions, but the team also battled back from 7 down in September and had a lot of come from behind wins despite being killed with injuries. The local media loves to pine over Larry Bowa because he's a Philly guy, but at the end of the day all his screaming and bullsh1t never got the Phils into the playoffs and Manuel did.

I was never a fan of Bowa. His fits of anger were entertaining but he never struck me as a good manager. I wasn't aware of the players liking Manuel. I guess that with him getting them to the playoffs earned him a "bonus". Though I still think he's not a lock to last beyond 2008 if the Phillies don't live up to expectations. But you guys would have a better grasp on the situation than I would, so maybe I'm wrong.

With the boom of sports talk radio and 24 hour media coverage, Charlie's game day decisions get most of the coverage. True, he has made some game day blunders. he makes it worse by explaining them to the media like he's got a hunk of beef jerkey in his mouth.

However, if you look at how his team never quits, and compare it to other managers that the media likes...such as Willie Randolph, it is obvious that Charlie does a good job with this club. There is so much more to managing than mastering a double switch, or knowing when to pull your starter and when to leave him in. While Charlie struggles at times with the tactics, he does a masterful job at keeping the team in the hunt, and not letting them quit. To me, he is a lot like Joe Torre, minus the $200 million payroll and media polish.

Charlie Manuel is among the worst managers in baseball history. He is clueless about making even the simplest of moves or the very basics of strategy. He is extremely stupid. But the players like him because he is a senile old man, a grandfather figure, who allows the players to do whatever they want. It is sad to think Manuel was chosen over Jim Leyland for managing this team.

The Phillies will nevah, nevah, nevah win a championship with Manuel as head coach, and are extremely lucky whenever they finish above .500. The best that could happen to the Phillies is if Manuel drops dead. And by the looks of him, he died about 3 years ago and is rotting very nicely.