Sign in to follow this  
kcsportsguy

KU Jayhawks...BCS Bowl Bound?

It's very unusual to be talking about the KU football season still after basketball practices have begun. KU just shut down Texas A&M on the road to improve to 8-0. Still one of the 4 undefeated teams so far, but Arizona St is down right now to California. With the downfall of Nebraska this year, a home victory is very able to see with 2 tough games at OSU and rivalry MU. If, KU manages to run the table, win or lose in the Big 12 championship game should guarantee a spot in a BCS bowl game.

Nov. 3, 2007 Nebraska

Nov. 10, 2007 at OK State

Nov. 17, 2007 Iowa State

Nov. 24, 2007 Missouri

Think about it, with how crazy college football has been this year, why not?

I would love to see that. Boise State came out of nowhere and provided an exciting Fiesta Bowl, beating the powerhouse football program Oklahoma. No reason to believe Kansas can't do the same if given the opportunity.

KU's football attitude this year has been the old cliche "one game at a time" approach.

I love Coach M earlier this year reminding one of his player of it during a game.

the fighting manginos will have to play oSu in stillwater. that will NOT be an easy game at all. also, they will probably have to play OU in the big 12 c.g. in san antonio. that won't be easy either. they still have a ways to go before saying they're bcs bound.

KU would get crushed. It would be like USF when they started playing some real top 25 teams.

Just curious about two things: have you seen Kansas play, and who exactly are these "real" Top 25 teams?

I've been very skeptical of this team too, and expected the bubble to burst last week at Colorado, an extremely tough place to play (ask Oklahoma). The result? A game which Kansas dominated and did pretty much whatever they wanted. Yesterday, they won in another tough spot, Tx A&M. No, the Aggies are nothing special this year, but they've beaten plenty of good opponents at Kyle Field. They can run the ball very well (#9 nationally) and KU would have none of it.

I keep looking for the hole in KU's resume. They've played teams that have run against everyone else; they've played teams that have passed against everyone else. They don't do anything on offense that overwhelms you, but they do everything well, and have a mobile QB who makes good decisions, seemingly all the time. And they can run and tackle on defense.

The Ok State game is one I have circled. The best offensive team that the Jaywahks will have faced on the road, and deep enough into the schedule that the pressures of having not lost should weigh pretty heavily.

At some point, people are going to realize that the notion of a "real" Top 25 no longer exists. Too much parity. Too many kids exposed to schools they never considered before due to the proliferation of games on tv. Too many high schools producing QB with a good grasp of passing offenses that used to be considered too sophisticated for high school. Too much quality scouting.

There will continue to be a handful of schools that are always big name, power schools. But we're seeing this year that even that is no longer enough to give you "cruise control" seasons (see USC, Notre Dame, Michigan). There's not a team in the country that's a lock to beat a quality team like Kansas has built, at the right setting on the right day.

BTW, not a KU fan or Big 12 sympathizer.

KU is playing great right now and I HATE KU! however, I truly believe NU will beat them next week and MU will beat them at Arrowhead. And I think KSU will beat MU before that game as well.

Talib is a great CB, Anderson and Sharp form a pretty good RB combo and Reesing is playing lights out. The thing about KU, they aren't a SR lead team so they will be damn good next year too, unless Mangino eats them all.

i believe i'm the only one on this site at the beginning of the year that claimed they'd win the North, while everyone else laughed :rolleyes: :pointstosky:

i believe i'm the only one on this site at the beginning of the year that claimed they'd win the North, while everyone else laughed :D :D

Don't celebrate yet, they haven't won it as of today. MU, KSU and CU all are still in the mix. KU could lose all their remaining games, there are no gimme's. My guess is MU win's it all, but hoping MU and KU both fall on their faces and KSU wins it.

And Jordy Nelson is a freaking STUD!

I think the bubble bursts for Kansas next week in Stillwater. Lost in the hubbub over KU's offensive explosion today is the fact that they yielded 39 points to a Nebraska team that was starting its backup QB. Scouting next week's opponent: Oklahoma State put up over 600 yards of offense on Texas today. Okie State also held Nebraska in check when they played the Huskers in Lincoln. The Cowboys will be smarting from giving away today's game to the Longhorns. ABC will be televising the game regionally in prime time. T Boone Pickens has deep pockets. All of those things add up to a loss for Kansas.

Even if OSU does beat the Jayhawks, KU still controls its own destiny for the Big 12 title. I'd really hate to be the AD of Kansas right now, having to explain to the faithful why I agreed to play this year's home game against Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium.

Full disclosure: This will be the fourth consecutive week that I've predicted a KU loss (at Colorado, at Texas A&M, Nebraska). So maybe that fact alone means a KU victory.

Don't celebrate yet, they haven't won it as of today. MU, KSU and CU all are still in the mix. KU could lose all their remaining games, there are no gimme's. My guess is MU win's it all, but hoping MU and KU both fall on their faces and KSU wins it.

And Jordy Nelson is a freaking STUD!

Sorry, Wildcat. KSU is no longer in the mix after laying an egg in Ames. But Jordy Nelson is still a stud. Hopefully the Cats can get it together in time to humiliate Callahan as he is shoved out the door in Lincoln.

Sorry, Wildcat. KSU is no longer in the mix after laying an egg in Ames. But Jordy Nelson is still a stud. Hopefully the Cats can get it together in time to humiliate Callahan as he is shoved out the door in Lincoln.

I'm in a state of depression right now over this! I actually went to the KU game yesterday (company event) and had to watch KU win and hear that KSU lost. Sad day in the Freakcat household.

Jordy Nelson better get All American Honors!

It's very unusual to be talking about the KU football season still after basketball practices have begun. KU just shut down Texas A&M on the road to improve to 8-0. Still one of the 4 undefeated teams so far, but Arizona St is down right now to California. With the downfall of Nebraska this year, a home victory is very able to see with 2 tough games at OSU and rivalry MU. If, KU manages to run the table, win or lose in the Big 12 championship game should guarantee a spot in a BCS bowl game. Nov. 3, 2007 Nebraska

Nov. 10, 2007 at OK State

Nov. 17, 2007 Iowa State

Nov. 24, 2007 Missouri

Think about it, with how crazy college football has been this year, why not?

Um, thats a negative on that. As focked up as college football is this year, if two teams from the sh11ty Big 12 conference get into BSC games this year, its a travesty. And Hawaii will get the at large spot over KU when they lose to OU in the Big 12 championship game.

KU 76 - Nebraska 39......................looks like the score of the KU-NU basketball game and not football.

Classless should have taken a knee!

They will lose to Mizzou...Colt Brennan just got the sh!t knocked out of him and is in the locker room so who knows about the Warriors...but I think they have a better chance...I like Kansas, but I don't think they make it out undefeated....great season no matter what though.

If Kansas finishes at 13-0 and doesn't make the BCS Championship game, they will possibly have the biggest complaint in college football history. On the other hand, they still have to defeat Missouri and Oklahoma to accomplish that. I personally wouldn't be rushing out to wager any money on that 13-0 season. Oh yeah, don't look past Iowa State like Ohio State did against Illinois.

Do you believe now?

Did they still play Central Michigan, Southeast Louisiana, Toledo, and Florida International University, and not play Texas or Oklahoma in the regular season this year to build that stellar undefeated record?

Then the answer is fock no.

Did they still play Central Michigan, Southeast Louisiana, Toledo, and Florida International University, and not play Texas or Oklahoma in the regular season this year to build that stellar undefeated record?

Then the answer is fock no.

I have to agree with this. They have beat some "good" teams away from home, so I will give them credit for that, but don't see them as tops in College Football. They beat a bad KSU team (damn that's painful to admit", beat a bad NU team, a bad A&M team, a decent OSU team, a bad CU team, and before that they beat nothing but crappy JV squads. They will beat ISU to get a good matchup with MU who will SQUASH them! Still a good team, going to go to a great bowl.

If Kansas finishes at 13-0 and doesn't make the BCS Championship game, they will possibly have the biggest complaint in college football history. On the other hand, they still have to defeat Missouri and Oklahoma to accomplish that. I personally wouldn't be rushing out to wager any money on that 13-0 season. Oh yeah, don't look past Iowa State like Ohio State did against Illinois.

They won't go undefeated, but if they do and then get snubbed, it won't be as bad as snubbing the undefeated SEC champ from the championship game (Auburn a few years ago).

I have to tell you. It was crazy down at the Orange Bowl.

Who thought the Jayhawks would make it to a BCS Bowl? Well, just take a look at the thread.

Not only did we make it but we beat a pretty quality team.

Ohh yea. It's college basketball season and the boys are also still undefeated.