Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Why does everyone call on the homers?

I've been guilty of it in the past as well, but it seems like people on this board are getting really lazy. There are constant "help out all homers" requests for info, but what do they really getcha that you can't get for yourself? Like we each can't figure out what the local newspaper is for the Tennessee Titans and look it up? I mean, yeah, maybe a homer gets local television coverage, but if they can't provide a link, is it really worth anything? I'll admit that some guys do know more about their favorite team (Phillybear and Flahawker come to mind) but do we constantly have to call on the "homers" for help??? :doublethumbsup:

Many times, our local radio guys will get information way before it's posted on IndyStar's (or ESPN's) website, and immediately share it with the listeners.

The IndyStar is getting faster than it used to be - but they can't beat someone just hanging up with their source and have a microphone at their disposal (as compared to a memo sent to the newspaper Web Content Developer).

Many times, our local radio guys will get information way before it's posted on IndyStar's (or ESPN's) website, and immediately share it with the listeners.

The IndyStar is getting faster than it used to be - but they can't beat someone just hanging up with their source and have a microphone at their disposal (as compared to a memo sent to the newspaper Web Content Developer).

This is true, but there's a difference between "Hey Cincy homers, how has Rudi looked in practice this week?" and someone hearing over local radio that "Housh just broke his leg in practice! :o "

I know that I and other Packer homers have given better insight about the Pack than you can get on national FF websites

I think this hits it. What you can't get off the web is the sports talk radio conversations, discussions, and interviews. They can provide more depth to the information -- and more speed, as IndyTom suggests -- than the local papers. And they generate conversation among homers that the rest of us aren't privy to. Not all homers are better sources, but many certainly have an edge over other souces when it comes to talk and gossip about their local team.

I've been given some great information by the people here when I send a call out to the homers. I've also been able to give info on my hometown Rams that is rarely on any football website. The local media scrutinize players all week, so sometimes, the best information you can get is from a homer that heard this or that on a local radio station.

We knew here in St. Louis that Bulger wasn't "right" after week one. The local media talked about it all day on KFNS and 1380 AM. The national media didn't pay attention until they were 0-4. I was able to dump off Bulger and Jackson while the other owner thought he was getting the steal of the century. This is exactly why I put out the call to homers when I want good information. Over time, you learn who you can and can't trust with info.

Sometimes you can get some inside info about a player that is not out yet.. Not always but it never hurts to ask... JMHO

you bring up a very good point.

Homers are good for one thing and that's seeing their team through homer glasses.

yeah, other than the local media and vested interest in their team, i don't see the real advantage of begging the homers for help. if you're like most people, is somebody says "oh i just heard on the radio in the car that blab blah blah..." you tend to discount unless you can verify it, so the local advantage is somewhat nullified because people are apprehensive to believe a buncha strangers on the board.

I've been guilty of it in the past as well, but it seems like people on this board are getting really lazy. There are constant "help out all homers" requests for info, but what do they really getcha that you can't get for yourself? Like we each can't figure out what the local newspaper is for the Tennessee Titans and look it up? I mean, yeah, maybe a homer gets local television coverage, but if they can't provide a link, is it really worth anything? I'll admit that some guys do know more about their favorite team (Phillybear and Flahawker come to mind) but do we constantly have to call on the "homers" for help??? :pointstosky:

Homers also watch every game. They are able take away their own impression of the team.

yeah, other than the local media and vested interest in their team, i don't see the real advantage of begging the homers for help. if you're like most people, is somebody says "oh i just heard on the radio in the car that blab blah blah..." you tend to discount unless you can verify it, so the local advantage is somewhat nullified because people are apprehensive to believe a buncha strangers on the board.

Let's ask CMH what he thinks about the chiefs from a fantasy perspective :pointstosky:

Homers also watch every game. They are able take away their own impression of the team.

But it's still just an opinion. As a Cincy homer, I could tell you that Rudi Johnson has lost a step and doesn't get to the hole fast enough, but owners that drafted him in the first round still insist that he's just one start away from regaining is 2005 form.

Let's ask CMH what he thinks about the chiefs from a fantasy perspective :thumbsup:

Oh man, at least BirdBradyBobbyOrrBuckner goes ga-ga over good team, CMH would sniff Marvin Lewis' jock given the chance... :pointstosky:

I've been guilty of it in the past as well, but it seems like people on this board ae getting really lazy. There are constant "help out all homers" requests for info, but what do they really getcha that you can't get for yourself? Like we each can't figure out what the local newsaper is for the Tennessee Titans and look it up? I mean, yeah, maybe a homer gets local television coverage, but if they can't provide a link, is it really worth anything? I'll admit that some guy do know more about their favorite team (Phillybear and Flahawker come to mind) but do we constantly have to call on the "homers" for help??? :overhead:

I can see it. Eventually everyone has the same info but many times local radio will interview

a beat writer, etc. and he or she will have info 3-4 hours before websites do. So from a timing standpoint

I say "thank you God for homers".....

But it's still just an opinion. As a Cincy homer, I could tell you that Rudi Johnson has lost a step and doesn't get to the hole fast enough, but owners that drafted him in the first round still insist that he's just one start away from regaining is 2005 form.

Yes, it is an opinion and it is our job as owners to weigh all opinions and make our own decisions. If someone tells me he thinks Rudi lost a step I may watch the Cinny game this week or play closer attention to the situation. My point is no one can watch all the players all the time so homers can help out.