Sign in to follow this  
FantasyKing

I want a good camcorder....which kind to get?

Anyone have any recommendations for a new camcorder? I dont know whether to get DVD, mini-DVD, or the ones that record direct to hard drive. I don't really want or need an HD camcorder, I'm looking for one for under $500. Any advice on what to look for? How is the DVD quality of the DVD type camcorders?

Signed,

Still Using a VHS-C Camcorder

I have not looked in some time...but the problem I have with my DVD cam (about 3 years old...Sony)...is that the software out blows as far as trying to rip individual clips off of the mini DVDs to be able to do any editing or compilations.

Though, I have not messed with it in about a year to know if there is something out there that can do it now.

I bought a Canon ZR something about 3 years ago and went to use it last week but it got bustored some how. It won't take the tapes anymore. :bench:

My last JVC also lasted only a short time with very light use.

Anyway, I look for an AV In jack so I can capture my old VHS movies and transfer them to DVD.

If you plan on trying to edit any of this video on a computer, I recommend sticking with the Mini-DV format. This is a digital format that records to tape. It is still some of the best quality video you can record (aside from HD).

If you go with something that burns directly to a DVD, you'll find it a real pain in the ass to try to get into an editing program. However, if you aren't going to edit video at all and just want to record and watch it on your DVD player, it's not bad.

I can't comment a whole log on the hard drive models.

I'm a big fan of Sony, and they have plenty of Mini-DV cameras in your price range.

Cool thanks all - thanks hoff, I was thinking mini-DVD for the reasons you said as well. I like Sony a lot too so that's probably what I'll check out.

If you plan on going with a cam that has a hard drive - be prepared for BIG headaches editing the material. It's saved as AVCHD format which is just starting to get support in popular editing software. However, it is still cumbersome and slow to edit - even if you have a high end PC.

Stick with mini-dv. It is the most reliable medium.

I love my Canon HV20 - but it's an HD-cam...

Anyone have any recommendations for a new camcorder? I dont know whether to get DVD, mini-DVD, or the ones that record direct to hard drive. I don't really want or need an HD camcorder, I'm looking for one for under $500. Any advice on what to look for? How is the DVD quality of the DVD type camcorders?

Signed,

Still Using a VHS-C Camcorder

I just bought this at Best Buy over the weekend : JVC - Digital Camcorder ~ Model: GZMG130US

I got it in a combo-deal with a DVD burner for $599.00. It's got a 30GB hard drive.

Stayed away from the DVD models as the issues with disks etc constantly having to carry them around and the cost etc...

Decided that the Hard drive unit is sweet because we can record a ton of stuff on it, and delete things off the drive that didn't turn out as we go.....

Then later, I connect it up to the accompanying JVC DVD burner and empty the drive, or i simply dump the files to my PC and burn them from there.

Keep in mind that the optical zoom above say 24 is only "valid" if you have a tripod as any zoom above that will accentuate your shaking and movement pretty heavily.