Sign in to follow this  
unckeyherb

WIP reporting that the birds ....

Saw that one coming. He's definitely not the same player he once was. His number was straight salary to boot, so that's $5 mil no longer wasted.

One only hopes they use that money and sign Westbrook to a proper long term deal.

interesting news. any FA linebackers out there they are targeting? any trades rumored?

as far as i know, briggs stayed with chicago (~$33million), demorrio williams signed (chiefs?), and the jets took the 3-4 system guy calvin pace (~$40million).

i like the steal of the defensive end from oakland, since they stole burgess and got lots of sacks outta him. he'll (name escaped me) team up nicely with trent cole.

interesting news. any FA linebackers out there they are targeting? any trades rumored?

as far as i know, briggs stayed with chicago (~$33million), demorrio williams signed (chiefs?), and the jets took the 3-4 system guy calvin pace (~$40million).

I will bet they've identified someone in the draft. This is a pretty deep draft for athletic linebackers, so perhaps Andy wants to get him some.

Spikes, IMO, was a guy they could afford to lose. He definitely didn't live up to his billing last year. Played okay, but not $5 million okay.

I will bet they've identified someone in the draft. This is a pretty deep draft for athletic linebackers, so perhaps Andy wants to get him some.

Spikes, IMO, was a guy they could afford to lose. He definitely didn't live up to his billing last year. Played okay, but not $5 million okay.

agree on the last part. i always felt takeo's weapons were his strength at the point of attack and his superb tackling. the sacks and INTs he gathered his last few yrs in cincy leading up to his FA deal in buffalo, and his 1 great yr in buff with the picks and TDs, were gravy. last season, i somewhat questioned his fit in the jim johnson def system. i think they wanted another trotter---pure hammer with huge intensity. didnt really develop as they thought.

as far as the draft crop, not a lot of high profile LBs this yr, at least to me. i have a few guys im drooling over, but they are at other position (DE, CB, and G). i think the only 2 profile LBs i know of are the USC guy and the purdue guy, whom a lot are touting because of the recent good trend of their program at the position, noting guys like spencer (dallas), phillips (diego).

I doubt cutting Spikes had anything to do with targeting a LB in the draft. Gocong, Bradley, and Gaither are their guys. Three young LBs that Jim Johnson loves the thought of manuevering around on the field. They also like what they saw from Akeem Jordan so going after a LB makes very little sense for the Eagles.

They'll likely use that money to try and sign some players already under contract to new deals between now and whatever the deadline date is that comes during the season. And being hopeful, maybe they are clearing money to use in a longterm deal with a WR they hope to acquire with a trade.

I think Fitzgerald is out, but there are some articles that have stated Roy Williams is definately on the trading block. Chad Johnson's name was mentioned also, and I even saw one saying Torry Holt might be someone the Rams could be willing to trade.

I'll be surprised if the Eagles don't trade for a #1WR, or something close to it by the time the draft is over.

I doubt cutting Spikes had anything to do with targeting a LB in the draft. Gocong, Bradley, and Gaither are their guys. Three young LBs that Jim Johnson loves the thought of manuevering around on the field. They also like what they saw from Akeem Jordan so going after a LB makes very little sense for the Eagles.

They'll likely use that money to try and sign some players already under contract to new deals between now and whatever the deadline date is that comes during the season. And being hopeful, maybe they are clearing money to use in a longterm deal with a WR they hope to acquire with a trade.

I think Fitzgerald is out, but there are some articles that have stated Roy Williams is definately on the trading block. Chad Johnson's name was mentioned also, and I even saw one saying Torry Holt might be someone the Rams could be willing to trade.

I'll be surprised if the Eagles don't trade for a #1WR, or something close to it by the time the draft is over.

Instead of one guy at $5 mil per year, they can get 2 athletic guys at $2.5 per as backups and special teamers.

I like how they're keeping all options open. Much different off-season than in year's past.

Here is the big question of all? Can they contend for a Super Bowl? NO! Where are the upgrades? Chris Clemons? Asante Samuel? Samuel is just a small upgrade over Sheppard. Clemons we have no idea. What upgrades have been done to the offense? The Eagles were the worst team in takeaways in 2007 I don't think Samuel will make them a top five team in takeaways. Jim Johnson's scheme is old and kinda reminds me of how Buddy Ryan dominated with his 46 for a period of time. It's time for a coaching change. I mean the team has finished last in the division two out of the last three years. If McNabb struggles I'm sure the Philly faithful will start the Kolb chanting. Quit with all the Eagle threads because the bottom line is you guys are the most :thumbsdown: delusional fans in all of professional sports. Have fun playing for third place behind Dallas and the Giants in the division.

Funny how Steve Spagnuolo used the same scheme to help the Giants D dominate the best offense ever in the Super Bowl

Until they do something about WR, the fans will continue be annoyed with management. I am curious on the Holt comment. Is that something you had read somewhere? Who would the Rams have left to throw the ball? CJ would be great. But with the squabbling he has made and the cap hit on the Cincy, it wouldn't seem likely. I'd love to see the talent here, but I am not holding my breath.

As far as Spikes leaving, eh. When they signed him last year, I thought it was going to help. But after seeing him here, it is a good call to part ways.

#85 maybe?

Rumor this morning is that they're seriously after Fitz in AZ, but that 85 and Holt are on the list.

I am curious on the Holt comment. Is that something you had read somewhere?

This is where I first heard Holt's name mentioned. It isn't much, but I was surprised to see his name even thrown out there.

WRs on Eagles Radar: Fitzgerald, ROY, Chad, Holt

Lions wideout Roy Williams, mercurial Bengals receiver Chad Johnson and Rams veteran Torry Holt are logical choices for the Eagles to pursue if they can't land Fitzgerald.

One agent who does not represent Williams told The News Journal that Williams "is definitely on the [trading] block."

The Bengals have echoed similar sentiments about Johnson, who went public this off-season with his gripes about the franchise. Despite Johnson's eccentric behavior and harsh comments about the team, the Bengals have said that Johnson isn't being shopped around.

"No one within the Bengals organization has ever spoken of or ever uttered anything about trading Chad Johnson. Nor will he be traded," coach Marvin Lewis told the Cincinnati Enquirer in February.

As for Holt, the seven-time Pro Bowler has flown under the trade radar, but the Rams might find their rebuilding effort easier if they trade the 31-year-old star receiver.

Holt, signed for two more years, is slated to make $5.65 in base salary in 2008 and $6.65 next season, excluding bonuses. His agent, Greg Williams, said he called the Rams at the end of the season to discuss their plans for Holt but hadn't heard back.

"I didn't know if they would be rebuilding or looking to trade [Holt] or if he'd be there to play out his contract," Williams said. "I think if they were going to do something, they would let us know. From my understanding, they have every intention of bringing him back."

And this is the latest I heard on the Fitzgerald situation. Just yesterday the article I linked to in the post above made it sound like they were close to making a deal, but this article suggests otherwise.

Cards, Fitzgerald near crossroads

The restructuring of Fitzgerald's contract appears no closer to fruition than it was a month ago, and the rumblings of frustration are growing within the organization.

They are going to face the prospect of trading Fitzgerald or losing him a year from now, when they might have to cut him rather than pay his 2009 salary of $17.4 million.

So far, both sides are saying all the right things. The Cardinals insist Fitzgerald will play for them in 2008, even at a salary of $14.6 million. Fitzgerald's agent, Eugene Parker, said team officials have reassured him that Fitzgerald is going nowhere, even if a new deal isn't reached.

That hasn't prevented other teams from trying to trade for him. The Eagles have talked to the Cardinals about acquiring Fitzgerald, with cornerback Lito Sheppard and receiver Reggie Brown rumored to be part of the offer.

The Cardinals have little interest in either player, and they are not eager to part with Fitzgerald, who made two Pro Bowls in his first four seasons.

It's hard to tell what would pique the Cardinals' interest at this point. Their primary desire is to keep Fitzgerald for several more years, even though that would cost them dearly.

.....clauses were designed to get the two parties back to the bargaining table after four years. Now, Parker is seeking another four-year deal that would pay Fitzgerald between $25 million and $30 million in guarantees.

Parker's motive is to get Fitzgerald, 24, a third lucrative contract before the receiver turns 30.

The Cardinals would prefer six years at a similar level of guaranteed money, because they abhor the idea of going through all of this again in three or four years.

One only hopes they use that money and sign Westbrook to a proper long term deal.

:dunno: You do know at his age he will be lucky if he puts out 2 more seasons, thats not the guy i would want to give a longterm contract to.

:mellow: You do know at his age he will be lucky if he puts out 2 more seasons, thats not the guy i would want to give a longterm contract to.

I know his age and shelf life, but he is their best player, most valuable player, and they need to keep him happy. I can tell you he wasn't happy when he was told to pay back the bonus money he received in error. Can't imagine him being too happy seeing the Birds fork over that dough to Samuel. It will get even worse if they sign Fitz, because that guy will get a ton of dough as well.

This team goes nowhere without Westbrook.

I know his age and shelf life, but he is their best player, most valuable player, and they need to keep him happy. I can tell you he wasn't happy when he was told to pay back the bonus money he received in error. Can't imagine him being too happy seeing the Birds fork over that dough to Samuel. It will get even worse if they sign Fitz, because that guy will get a ton of dough as well.

This team goes nowhere without Westbrook.

Most impactful and best all-around RB in the league. :pointstosky:

Most impactful and best all-around RB in the league. :pointstosky:

No doubt. Give him a healthy McNabb, a true #1 wideout like Fitz or RW, a battering ram like Owen Schmitt (from the draft), and a fair contract, and he's my pick for MVP next season.

I am also interested to see what transpires on the offensive line this season. Runyan nor Thomas had real good years last year, so obviously alot of Westbrook's success is predicated on a return to form for the big uglies up front.

No doubt. Give him a healthy McNabb, a true #1 wideout like Fitz or RW, a battering ram like Owen Schmitt (from the draft), and a fair contract, and he's my pick for MVP next season.

I am also interested to see what transpires on the offensive line this season. Runyan nor Thomas had real good years last year, so obviously alot of Westbrook's success is predicated on a return to form for the big uglies up front.

yep. Give Runyan the ability to sit down and Westbrook should go for about 1500 rush, 800 rec. and 20 TD's

I'll still take LT2, but Westy is a beast.

<_< You do know at his age he will be lucky if he puts out 2 more seasons, thats not the guy i would want to give a longterm contract to.

It isn't so much about giving him more years as much as it is about giving him more money for the years left on his contract. Without question he's the most important player on that offense. He is a little older than I had thought, but at 29 come start of the season he should still have 2 more solid years in him.

Should still be pretty productive til he's 31 with the way this offense operates. It's hard to imagine he won't at the very least remain an awesome threat as a receiver out of the backfield until then. In some ways you could argue his next 2-3 seasons should be the best of his career because the Eagles limited his rushing attempts a good bit up until last season.

It isn't so much about giving him more years as much as it is about giving him more money for the years left on his contract. Without question he's the most important player on that offense. He is a little older than I had thought, but at 29 come start of the season he should still have 2 more solid years in him.

Should still be pretty productive til he's 31 with the way this offense operates. It's hard to imagine he won't at the very least remain an awesome threat as a receiver out of the backfield until then. In some ways you could argue his next 2-3 seasons should be the best of his career because the Eagles limited his rushing attempts a good bit up until last season.

;)

read today that philly made a offer to the cards for fitz, lito and reggie brown were named in the piece but the sorce would not say what was envolved in the deal :pointstosky: ithink it was at delewareonline

read today that philly made a offer to the cards for fitz, lito and reggie brown were named in the piece but the sorce would not say what was envolved in the deal :pointstosky: ithink it was at delewareonline

Moon landing?

blah blah blah i was stating that the offer was made no more rumors....sorry news is slow in de

yep. this was reported a few days ago. Lito, Brown and a second round pick.

blah blah blah i was stating that the offer was made no more rumors....sorry news is slow in de

I have some family in DE.

It's not just the news that's slow?

I have some family in DE.

It's not just the news that's slow?

Below the canal, we call it slower Delaware. Muskrat & Catfish = surf and turf

Eagles add depth at LB with addition of Boiman

The Philadelphia Eagles signed linebacker Rocky Boiman to a one-year contract on Monday.

Boiman, a 6-foot-4, 236-pound linebacker, has played in 86 career games with Indianapolis and Tennessee. He had 64 tackles and two interceptions last season for the Colts.

"The defense in Indianapolis was pretty vanilla and there wasn't really much to it," Boiman said. "I think this is a little more exciting in the sense that there are more things going on and more attacking-style concepts that I think are going to be able to increase the things I can do as a player and really show my assets."

The 28-year-old Boiman was a fourth-round draft choice of the Titans in 2002 and set a club record with 28 special teams tackles as a rookie.

With the name "Rocky" he's gotta be a fan favorite in Philly, right? :thumbsdown:

Considering the young guys they plan on going with at the position, Boiman isn't a bad veteran addition. Spikes is clearly past his prime and Boiman can probably provide much of the same as what Spikes would have at a much cheaper price tag.

Boiman is clearly an attempt to bolster the special teams. Not a bad signing IMO.

Eagles add depth at LB with addition of Boiman

With the name "Rocky" he's gotta be a fan favorite in Philly, right? :dunno:

Considering the young guys they plan on going with at the position, Boiman isn't a bad veteran addition. Spikes is clearly past his prime and Boiman can probably provide much of the same as what Spikes would have at a much cheaper price tag.

I think it's a very good signing only because he has alot of playoff experience under his belt.

He's a proven player. Not great, not bad. Solid addition to the defensive depth of the team. And, of course, they need special teams help, too. Too bad he can't return kicks.