Sign in to follow this  
t.j

Draft Prospect: Arman Shields

So awhile back I started crunching the combine numbers for WRs, mostly because the Raiders were thin at WR (I started this before they signed Walker and Carter). Anyway this guy Shields really jumped out to me. Partly because he one of only two WRs that actually participated in every event (the other being Kentucky's Burton), but also because he performed very well at the events. Check it out:

Height: 6'0½" - ranks 25th out of 52 measured WRs

Weight: 194 - 37th out of 52

40 Time: 4.44 - 9th out of 48

Bench: 19 reps - 7th out of 24

Vertical: 37.5" - 2nd out of 26

Short Shuttle: 3.96 - 1st out of 10

Long Shuttle: 10.87 - 1st out of 10

Broad Jump: 10'08" - 2nd out of 11

3-Cone Drill: 6.67 - 2nd out of 8

I don't really know anything about the guy's skills, having not seen a Richmond Spiders game except for a few highlights that didn't really pertain to Shields. He caught 12 passes against Vandy last year before suffering a knee injury in week 2. The knee seems to be ok to post those kind of numbers.

The main concerns seem to be his durability (missed 7 games his first 3 years before missing 10 more games as a senior), college competition (played at an FCS school), and size (he's slightly undersized for an NFL WR).

But the positives are tremendous quickness, solid deep speed, and good enough upper-body strength to block and handle jams. He should be able to separate on short, intermediate, and deep routes, and also run after the catch, unless he just has lousy instincts.

I guess the reason I started crunching the numbers is that I feel like the other combine events (broad jump, shuttles, 3-cone drill) are more telling than the media gives them credit for. Unfortunately most players don't do a lot of them, but it's still impressive to see a guy do so well at all of them. Shields looks like a pretty good athlete, I am thinking he could be a steal in round 4 or so.

he has a dumb name, but good analysis

Yeah, he finished 43 out of 48 in the name test. poor performance. :P

TJ, did you do any research into his hands? Could be another in the troy williamson mold?

TJ, did you do any research into his hands? Could be another in the troy williamson mold?

I have no idea about his hands. Haven't ever seen him play. I doubt he is a Troy Williamson, that guy has worse hands than a college o-lineman. One thing about Williamson, that guy is so fast, sometimes I think it's hard for the guys running close to 20mph to be steady enough to catch the ball. Anyway, back to Shields, who knows, he could have any number of deficiencies in his skillset. Here's what NFL draft countdown has to say about him:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...manshields.html

Strengths:

Nice size and bulk...Good timed speed and can get some separation..Decent route runner...Excellent hands...Good body control...Is tough and aggressive..Works the middle of the field....Adequate blocker...Consistent and productive...Return ability?

Weaknesses:

Isn't very explosive and lacks a burst...Marginal ball skills...Not a great leaper...Is not very strong or physical...He may have some health and durability issues...Not real elusive and won't do much after the catch...Level of competition is a concern.

Notes:

Had his senior season cut short by a knee injury...Nice small school prospect who could be undervalued after not playing much in '07...Tested extremely well at the Scouting Combine ( finished in the top ten at his position in all seven of the main events )...May never be a star but has the talent to make a roster and contribute.

So they actually have hands and productivity as positives for him. Strange that they say he is not very explosive, considering that his combine numbers seem to strongly indicate otherwise. Could be one of those guys for whom it doesn't translate onto the field? Hard to say as you never really know what to think of these brief player profiles.

It looks like Shields is not on Waldman's list of WRs that he has studied film on for the RSP. That is too bad, I was hoping to hear his report.

Here are Shields' stats:

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2003 DNP - - - -

2004 10 30 320 10.7 4

2005 13 62 842 13.6 4

2006 10 54 643 11.9 5

2007 3 14 125 8.9 0

Totals 36 160 1,930 12.1 13

These numbers certainly don't blow you away for an FCS division player. But I think injuries cost him a lot of opportunities as a redshirt junior and senior.

Thanks!

Wow, they have really crappy filmography at Richmond... :wacko: