Sign in to follow this  
King of Gondor

Composite Decks

Has anyone here ever had a composite deck built/quoted? We had the standard pressure treated wood at our last house... and was a pain to take care of (power washing, staining, etc...), and said we'd never do that again.

Just curious to see what other people have seen price wise (per sq ft?) looking at proabably around 320 sq ft deck, elevated about 5 feet, one stairway. We've had some quotes, but would like to compare.

Put one in at a RE asset we manage. The one thing you have to be careful of is the supporting beams. You have to put them closer together than with a wood deck, otherwise there is not enough support. They supposedly last forever and won't fade. We'll see on that.

Make sure it's a "Pure" composite & not a plasic/sawdust mix......spill something like grape juice on that & the stain will never come out. I went with pressure treated framing & mahogany decking when I built mine....12'x22' w/5' wide stairs leading to a 10'x10' lower deck....less than $4000........would have cost me $12000.00 to have it built by a contractor. :lol:

Make sure it's a "Pure" composite & not a plasic/sawdust mix......spill something like grape juice on that & the stain will never come out. I went with pressure treated framing & mahogany decking when I built mine....12'x22' w/5' wide stairs leading to a 10'x10' lower deck....less than $4000........would have cost me $12000.00 to have it built by a contractor. :rolleyes:

This is the composite we are probably going to use... link.

I think all composite has a risk of stains. This is solid w/ color thru so scratches shouldn't show as much.

Have a quote for all composite around $8500 installed, everything else has been around $11-12000.

I did it myself abot 4 years ago. Be sure to get the dark color. Frineds of mine have the tan. After a few years, it turns grey and stains like heck. All of the colors fade. We did the redwood, and it still looks great. I'd also suggest the vinyl railings. I have http://www.fairwayvinyl.com/. I also went with http://www.islandpostcap.com/decklights.htm for post cap lights which makes it look great.

I laugh every time my neighbor spends a weekend re-staining his deck.

I did it myself abot 4 years ago. Be sure to get the dark color. Frineds of mine have the tan. After a few years, it turns grey and stains like heck. All of the colors fade. We did the redwood, and it still looks great. I'd also suggest the vinyl railings. I have http://www.fairwayvinyl.com/. I also went with http://www.islandpostcap.com/decklights.htm for post cap lights which makes it look great.

I laugh every time my neighbor spends a weekend re-staining his deck.

We were going to go the redwood, it matches our brick color the best. I like the decklights - haven't seen those before. How much do cost? I didn't see any pricing on their site. We were going to just go the straight/clean lines look (no caps) but I might rethink that now.

I don't remember the actual cost of each light, but my cheap azz bought them, so they aren't too pricey. I like them because they give off the perfect amount of light to host a happy hour, without attracting bugs, and without the overhead light feeling.

I have a neighbor with the redwood deck, and black iron looking railings. Very clean look.

I don't remember the actual cost of each light, but my cheap azz bought them, so they aren't too pricey. I like them because they give off the perfect amount of light to host a happy hour, without attracting bugs, and without the overhead light feeling.

I have a neighbor with the redwood deck, and black iron looking railings. Very clean look.

yep... going redwood with black iron looking spindles :ninja:

yep... going redwood with black iron looking spindles :music_guitarred:

Very nice. I totally suggest to consider an indirect lighting to go with it. I friggin hate the overhead spotlight, or the 100 watt light outside the door.