Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2008 Cheatsheet Compiler/Draft Buddy

You seem to have the concept of AVT down. The problem is the Compiler is specifically designed to perform what you are asking. The confusion from the article is that Matt (Gut Check) indicated that all the information to do AVT is in the Compiler. That is true. However, it is not designed to do everything you are looking for. What is it exactly you would like to accomplish? You want to sort the player stats from each year from best to worst (fantasy points), average them, and then slot the players to each position ranking. Is that it?

That sounds about right. Which was I was thinking my system would work. If I use 2006 and 2007 stats, it will show me what the #1 QB scored, what the #2 QB scored, and so on. That should give me a pretty good idea of what they would score this year. Or at least it would be closer than me just projecting my own scores. Does that sound right?

Sure. You'd have to run the Compiler for each prior year allocation key to get the 2007 results, then 2006 results. I think the problem would be lining them up, so you could average them to get your 2008 projection set.

Hello Mike,

I am in 2 leagues that I used it in, 1 was an auction format and the other a regular draft with some additional rules.

Auction

The setup worked great although the numbers were a little off and I had a hard time moving them closer to what I thought they'd be still I thought the setup portion went well with reasonable numbers except at the top and bottom of some of the positions. I found a few problems you might want to look at. All of these have the caveot that it could be a user error (rookie user here)

1. Most important, the spreadsheet stops functioning properly once 1 person is no longer in the auction. Probably a rookie user mistake but... As is always true in an auction 1 person finishes before the others, the spreadsheet should account for the fact and either fix the remaining draft order or grey out the teams that have max roster and extend the number of selections allowed, our case 13 teams x 25 players you allowed for 325 players but when 1 person no longer was nominating those rows are not used and there is not enough room to finish the auction input.

2. I am guessing but I beleive when the Ranking/Alphebetical is set to Ranking you are using a limit on the number of players. I found that near the end of the auction I couldn't find some players unless I went alhabetical.

3. Inflation - This was an interesting number and I can see how it gets out of wack (I should of turned it off later) but in the end the calculation just erred out. I beleive the reason why is that it was flat getting to large. I think you need to take into account the max(cashAvailable) or something, the inflation number was well beyond the max bid of the player with the most cash available, the most that it should ever be is $1 over the max bid of the player with the 2nd most cash available. That number would in most cases be unreasonable but at least someone could pay it.

4. I'm guessing I did something wrong, but in our league we are allowed to draft College players there is a benefit to keeping them on your roster for the full year (this helps us have viable waiver wire players). I added my college players in to the compiler where it says add player here. When I then went to update the cheatsheet with current information my added players got wacked. I just added them in again but not sure what I did wrong, I definately want to be able to update before a draft for the most current info.

5. Not really a problem. Cash values, it seems that a lot of auction leagues I've seen spend a high portion of cash for the top players, well we do that also $76 out of $250 for LT with 25 players needed per team but we do have a number of our owners that don't go for the big guys, they save there money to control the auction later. Although we had a number of $2 players (our minimum) just about ne player of value gets bid on, so we have a lot more of the mid $ players.

I would of sent you the auction spreadsheet but I messed it up when I set up our draft league

Regular Draft

Only our special rules caused problems. We are allowed to keep 3 players, 1 of which must be a rookie as defined by our league (don't ask, very odd rookie definition), 1 player must be given a transitional tag which means that another owner can steal that player. The transitional players are don't become part of the team till round 6. The compiler and buddy has the ability to use a draftpick for keepers but not when only 1 of the 3 uses a draft pick

Overall I want to say the program was great. This is the first year that in the draft format I've not tried to draft at least one already drafted player.

The Auction I was a little dissapointed at the end but the program had helped a ton up to the point that the 1 spendthrift finished up.

Hey Blackstar. Great feedback. I did get your email but didn't respond right away since it was a post-mortem (and so much to respond to!). I just hit you back with a response this morning.

Just posted an impromptu update for the Compiler. The depth charts are updated, plus we dropped projections down to nil for each of Chris Brown, Rudi Johnson and Reche Caldwell. The full and final update is still scheduled for 9/2.

2006 Bought the CCDB 3 leagues 3 playoff teams 2 victories

2007 I know what I'm doing decided Not to buy 3 leagues 1 playoff team 0 victories

2008 Bought CCDB 4 leagues 4 playoff teams victories TBD

:thumbsdown:

You have to make some good midseason pickups, but no denying it values the positions correctly according to the different scoring systems for a solid base team.

Thanks

2006 Bought the CCDB 3 leagues 3 playoff teams 2 victories

2007 I know what I'm doing decided Not to buy 3 leagues 1 playoff team 0 victories

2008 Bought CCDB 4 leagues 4 playoff teams victories TBD

:banana:

You have to make some good midseason pickups, but no denying it values the positions correctly according to the different scoring systems for a solid base team.

Thanks

Good stuff TD. Let us know if any of your playoff teams are Super Bowl champs in the coming weeks.

Let us know if any of your playoff teams are Super Bowl champs in the coming weeks.

Ten team no keeper league. Start 2 QB, 3RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST

My drafts by round:

1- 6 SJAX

2 - 4 MJD

3 - 6 A. Johnson

4 - 4 B. Marshall

5 - 6 Donovan McNabb

6 - 4 Matt Schaub

7 - 6 T. Jones

8 - 4 D. Bowe

9 - 6 V. Young

10 - 4 Pittsburgh D

11 - 6 Heath Miller

12 - 4 J. Fargas

13 - 6 A. Bradshaw

14 - 4 Santana Moss

15 - 6 Brandon Jackson

16 - 4 Shayne Graham

Eventually picked up Matt Ryan, Tyler Thigpen, Green Bay D, Zach Miller, off the waiver wire. Dropped V. Young, B. Jackson, J. Fargas, A. Bradshaw. Traded Heather Miller out for T. Scheffler.

Ended up 7 and 6. Some my errors (didn't catch the Houston Hurricane bye and had Schaub and Johnson starting that week. :wall: ) and some theirs (Started Schaub the week he came out and blew chunks at game time. McNabb earned me -4 points the week he found out he could be pulled at half time. Vince Young, need I say more.).

Fourth in the league finish.

Week 1 of the playoffs I beat the number 1 seeded team and made it to the finals.

Last week, I went into MNF 7 points ahead with only McNabb playing for either one of us. Won by 31. :pointstosky:

Things which surprised me on the compiler: how low Marvin Harrison, Big Ben, and Frank Gore were. Appears deservedly so. How high Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub were. Again, deservedly so.

Will I do it again. Hell ya. Well worth the price. Thanks for the half a big screen TV you won me. Gonna have to fund the rest with honest money. It's worth it though. The Super Bowl on a 52 in HD. :headbanger:

C'ya next year!

Wow, nice job Bob! Congrats! I can't believe you were only 7-6 with that team because the only pick that was an absolute dog through 12 rounds was Vince Young (got me too, a couple times). Santana Moss in the 14th - wow! Of course, I guess the SJax injury and Schaub injury and surprise Week 2 bye would have hurt a bit. Better to finish strong though, which this team certainly did! Enjoy the TV!