Sign in to follow this  
HenryChinaski

Larry Fitzgerald (vs.) Andre Johnson

Here is the situation:

2 Man Keeper League

My keepers are Brian Westbrook and Marion Barber III

I have the 10th pick in the 1st round.

I've been going over possible draft scenarios in my mind for the past couple of weeks, and it seems that I've been able to narrow down, the players that are going to be available.

Only half of the 12 teams are keeping 2 RBs, which will leave those other 6 teams scrambling to find starting RBs, especially since this league allows you to start 3RB/1WR or 2/2 or 1/3 - either way. So with that said, there will be some serious WR talent fall to the end of the round, because of these people going RB crazy.

2 of these three players should be available:

Tony Romo

Larry Fitzgerald

Andre Johnson

Reggie Wayne

With my initial mock draft, I'm guessing that Fitzgerald and Johnson are going to be the WRs that I will have to pick between. If either Romo or Wayne fall, I think my choice would be a lot less difficult.

Anyway, so who would you choose?

Andre Johnson has EXTREME upside. He has about as much chance as any, to finish the season as a Top 3 WR. He dominated when he was healthy last year, which is obviously very enticing.

Larry Fitzgerald is probably the safer pick. He doesn't seem to miss as many games as AJ, plays in more of a prolific passing offense, has also been extremely consistent over the past few seasons. If I knew that Warner would be the starting QB this year, Fitz would probably be an easier selection, but that's not the case - yet.

I also think that its relevant of who my 2 RBs are. Both are obvious 1st round selections, but I do have 2 other teams with great keepers to contend with. There is another team that picks behind me that is lucky enough to have Peterson and Tomlinson, and another team that has secured SJax and Addai. So needless to say, these 2 teams appear to be my main competition. Of course anything can change.

So do I go for the upside/broke with Andre Johnson? Or do I play it somewhat safe, with Larry Fitzgerald?

Opinions? Homers? Rants?

Lets hear 'em.

I go Fitz there. Your entire team is solid, safe, but with upside. You don't need to take any more of a risk than you need to, as your core is solid and pure consistency is the most valuable commodity to find in the rest of your positions. Johnson could put you over the top, but he could also leave you looking at the bottom if he/Schaub gets injured. No need to take a chance like that, especially when Fitz is an upper echelon WR in his own right. If it was Johnson vs. a lesser talent, then I could see justifying the risk, but Fitz is safe AND productive. Fitz is your guy.

I go Fitz there. Your entire team is solid, safe, but with upside. You don't need to take any more of a risk than you need to, as your core is solid and pure consistency is the most valuable commodity to find in the rest of your positions. Johnson could put you over the top, but he could also leave you looking at the bottom if he/Schaub gets injured. No need to take a chance like that, especially when Fitz is an upper echelon WR in his own right. If it was Johnson vs. a lesser talent, then I could see justifying the risk, but Fitz is safe AND productive. Fitz is your guy.

Thanks for the advice.

You followed my logic exactly.

Fitz is definitely the safe play, no doubt about it.

What he said :doublethumbsup:

Risk vs reward evaluation is a ######, and Andre looks to be a bit safer pick.

I think the QB situation in Arizona is cancelled by the fact Schaub has been a punching bag in the pocket. You know Andre will have a hamstring during the year, and you are not sure if Schaub will get knowcked out any given week.

IF the Texans had proved they could protect Schaub, I would take Andre in asecond - but that has yet to be shown, and as such, makes Fitz the safer pick to me

What he said :doublethumbsup:

Risk vs reward evaluation is a ######, and Andre looks to be a bit safer pick.

I think the QB situation in Arizona is cancelled by the fact Schaub has been a punching bag in the pocket. You know Andre will have a hamstring during the year, and you are not sure if Schaub will get knowcked out any given week.

IF the Texans had proved they could protect Schaub, I would take Andre in asecond - but that has yet to be shown, and as such, makes Fitz the safer pick to me

You meant Fitz, the first time, right?

Just making sure I'm following you.

If so, thanks for the reply.

I think Andre has the chance to produce bigger numbers than Fitz, but I personally think Fitz is a much safer pick. I think something like 1200/8 should be a near lock, and his week 14/15/16 schedule is against the STL, MIN, and NE pass d's. STL and MIN have no secondaries, and with New England you're either torching our secondary or playing catchup :pointstosky:

You meant Fitz, the first time, right?

Just making sure I'm following you.

If so, thanks for the reply.

Yes- my mistake.

Sub Larry for Andre in that first line

The questions in Texans pass protect, compounded by the run game issues, makes Fitz the safer choice IMO.

Fitz also is the Arizona receiver who HASN'T asked to be traded......Boldin has. Kind of makes you wonder if Fitz will be getting more looks as a result of Boldin wanting to leave.

I'd say Fitz over Johnson AND he'll probably be getting more looks.

I think Andre Johnson if he can stay healthy. He came on huge last year after coming off his injury and Fitzgerald has to share with Boldin, at least for now anyway. :doh:

I think Andre Johnson's injury risk is vastly overstated- prior to last season he had played a total of 16, 16, 13, and 16 games. He is not recovering from any debilitating injury, so if he can stay on the field the way he did in his first 4 seasons (a fairly high probability) I think he is easily the #2 fantasy WR.

He was held back by David Carr for 4 years hampered by injuries for another, but I think this could very well be the year that he breaks loose and dominates the world.

Fitz is the safer pick by a slim margin, but all things considered I believe Johnson has the higher expectancy and upside.

Here is the situation:

2 Man Keeper League

My keepers are Brian Westbrook and Marion Barber III

I have the 10th pick in the 1st round.

I've been going over possible draft scenarios in my mind for the past couple of weeks, and it seems that I've been able to narrow down, the players that are going to be available.

Only half of the 12 teams are keeping 2 RBs, which will leave those other 6 teams scrambling to find starting RBs, especially since this league allows you to start 3RB/1WR or 2/2 or 1/3 - either way. So with that said, there will be some serious WR talent fall to the end of the round, because of these people going RB crazy.

2 of these three players should be available:

Tony Romo

Larry Fitzgerald

Andre Johnson

Reggie Wayne

With my initial mock draft, I'm guessing that Fitzgerald and Johnson are going to be the WRs that I will have to pick between. If either Romo or Wayne fall, I think my choice would be a lot less difficult.

Anyway, so who would you choose?

Andre Johnson has EXTREME upside. He has about as much chance as any, to finish the season as a Top 3 WR. He dominated when he was healthy last year, which is obviously very enticing.

Larry Fitzgerald is probably the safer pick. He doesn't seem to miss as many games as AJ, plays in more of a prolific passing offense, has also been extremely consistent over the past few seasons. If I knew that Warner would be the starting QB this year, Fitz would probably be an easier selection, but that's not the case - yet.

I also think that its relevant of who my 2 RBs are. Both are obvious 1st round selections, but I do have 2 other teams with great keepers to contend with. There is another team that picks behind me that is lucky enough to have Peterson and Tomlinson, and another team that has secured SJax and Addai. So needless to say, these 2 teams appear to be my main competition. Of course anything can change.

So do I go for the upside/broke with Andre Johnson? Or do I play it somewhat safe, with Larry Fitzgerald?

Opinions? Homers? Rants?

Lets hear 'em.

With rumor now going around that Warner is going to be named the starter, I think Fitz is the best choice here. They have a solid rapport, and Fitz has already shown that he's a stud WR.

That being said, any chance of catching AJ on the turn and getting the best of both worlds???? :cheers:

You followed my logic exactly.

Is that the same logic that led you to vote for Ray Nagin :cry: I'm taking AJ then.

That being said, any chance of catching AJ on the turn and getting the best of both worlds???? :cry:

Well no, because after the first round - we then pick cards for draft positions.

The first round is just the order, from worst to first, of how each team finished the year before.

So the 2nd/3rd rounds flip flop, and every other round after, but the first is basically its own entity.

But thanks for your response, I definitely value your opinion.