Sign in to follow this  
FAN OF STEEL

MBIII on 3rd down?

Looking for some insight from any Cowboys homers or fans out there. This kid Felix Jones looks pretty impressive so far, and I think the Cowboys want to find a way to get him on the field. I know Barber is a BEAST (I had him last year), and I expect him to have another good year. I know Barber will get the goal line carries, but I just can't figure out if Felix will be in on 3rd down, and how many carries he will steal from MBIII. I think this will be the deciding factor over whether Barber just has another good year, or steps it up to the elite level with LT, AP & Westy...what do you guys think??

Looking for some insight from any Cowboys homers or fans out there. This kid Felix Jones looks pretty impressive so far, and I think the Cowboys want to find a way to get him on the field. I know Barber is a BEAST (I had him last year), and I expect him to have another good year. I know Barber will get the goal line carries, but I just can't figure out if Felix will be in on 3rd down, and how many carries he will steal from MBIII. I think this will be the deciding factor over whether Barber just has another good year, or steps it up to the elite level with LT, AP & Westy...what do you guys think??

Well Barber started out as a short yardage back so on 3rd and short you don't expect him to come out. Barber will give them the best shot to convert 3rd and one/ 3rd and two. Now do you think the staff will be anxious to put a rookie in in pass protection? I doubt it. So I'm looking at Felix Jones getting 4-5 carroes a game as a change of pace back. His role may increase as he gets some experience and comfort from the coaches maybe 7-8 carries a game. I look at this as a perfect situation for MBIII it will be just enough carres for him to get a good breather here and there and keep him fresh. Jones will no doubt break off a number of long runs for TD with his speed so Barber might lose 3-5 potential TDs to the rookie but I expect Barber to have his most productive year to date.

Marion Barber is going to be a STUD this year.

This is the YEAR we've all been waiting for. No more Julius Jones getting in the way.

Felix will be change of pace back at best and is just insurance.

You don't give Barber starting money if he's not gonna be featured.

Barber has a legit shot at 20TDs this year.

The Barbarian will get most of the 3rd down work for a few reasons.

1. He is a great blocker who has a ton of experiance picking up the blitz. He excels at chipping the DE and getting into the route.

2. He has proven he can catch the ball in a 3rd down situation.

I think Felix will get his touches when he is on the field with Barber, and to spell barber. I see Jones lining up in the backfield with Barber and motioning into the slot ala R. Bush. They may run some reverses or counters with him. They have yet to run these formation in pre-season, but he is just trying to learn the standard playbook. They will throw in some wrinkles later in the year.