Sign in to follow this  
bradysbunch

Calvin Johnson

Thinking of sitting Calvin Johnson this weekend against the Colts. Two words....Dan Orlovsky! I know Calvin is a stud, I've rode him to the first round of the playoffs, but if you look at the stats, he's been making the best of a bad situation. Now he faces the Colts and there 5th rated defense against the pass in Indy.

Last 3 weeks:

3 receptions for 66 yds 1 TD

5 receptions for 66 yds

3 receptions for 84 yds 1 TD

I'm thinking of starting a much less talented player but one that is getting more looks with better matchups.

D Bess: I Bruce:

5 for 87 8 for 125 1 TD

6 for 84 5 for 67 1 TD

9 for 74 6 for 70

What do you guys think?

I was thinking the same when I sat him against Tampa who have the 4th ranked pass defense and, as you pointed out, he went 3/66/1. Calvin was quite productive when Dan Orlovsky was starting, and I felt uncertain when he went down and Culpepper took over... but Calvin has kept it up. He really shouldn't be putting up numbers like he has all year, but he has, I'm starting him.

edit: figured I'd add this in...

Stats with Orlovsky...

2/16/0 -stinker I know.. but I'm not sure... did Orlovsky play the whole game? or come in relief?

4/85/1

2/154/1

4/57/1

8/94/1

Judging by the number of "I'm worried about Calvin and might bench him" threads each and every week, a couple things seem clear.

1. You can always find a justifiable reason to bench #81
  2. You will be wrong nearly every time.

But let's move forward with this week's theory, that the QB will be an issue. After all, this is the guy who ran out of the back of the end zone, so he must be the worst QB in the history of the NFL.

Dan Orlovsky

4 starts

5 TDs

2 INTs

930 yards

QB rating 89.3

SCORES: 10-12, 21-28, 17-25, 23-27

First game he threw for 150, the next 3 he averaged 260, TDs in each start, 4 competitive games.

Megatron's production during Orlovsky's starts

4-85-1

2-154-1

4-57-1

8-94-1

Bess and Reverend Ike are good WR3 options. I can't see benching a stud for either one, but it's your playoff game, make up your own mind. I will be starting Megatron in all my leagues - just as I have done from Week 1.

2/16/0 -stinker I know.. but I'm not sure... did Orlovsky play the whole game? or come in relief?

That was the game Kitna got hurt, went on IR 2 days later. 34-7 blowout and Orlovsky had very few reps that week. Started the next 4.

I've played Mega every week this year ..... but am taking him out this week - GUT feeling it will be a stinker.

BUT I do have some pretty good options -

TO, ABryant, JStewart (flex), SHolmes (bench)

Last week I had him playing instead of JStew which worked out, but this week rolling with JStew ....

All he has done is been one of the most consistent TD scoring WR's out there - an poeple ######.

If Orslosky is the QB - I start him with confidence against a average Indy defense.

Once again Detroit will probably be getting their a$$ handed to them....so they will be throwing...a lot..

Once again Detroit will probably be getting their a$$ handed to them....so they will be throwing...a lot..

I was looking to go there myself, cdogge. The Lions end up having to pass almost every game so this has helped Megatron. However, they are not smart enough to target him more than 5-6 times a game. On top of that, they have not tried a single fade route to the end zone all year. This guy is a beast and could out jump anyone in the league, yet they are too dumb to realize that.

Sitting him this week. I've been playing 3 wide receivers with him, Marshall, and A. Johnson. I actually have a RB #2 this week....so, I'm starting MJD over Megatron.

I will never for the life of me figure out why there is so much hand-wringing over this guy... :shocking:

Because that one long 80 yard catch for a TD week in and week out may have been just a fluke... :dunno: