Sign in to follow this  
karmarooster

Draft ReDo

OK so it's easy to complain about who your team picked in the first few rounds...

If YOU were the GM, what would you have done? Post a team, and what you would've done and why... Now obviously this is purely fantasy... by changing a few picks, it affects everything that happens afterwards. But it's still fun.

DENVER BRONCOS

It seems like everyone has something bad to say about what McDaniels has done this offseason. I actually don't have a problem with getting rid of Cutler, because he got a ransom in return, and picked up Orton and Simms. With the picks from Chicago, he can build a foundation to support the team for years. Only problem is... he screwed it up in the draft.

First Round:

#12 Denver Selects: Brian Orakpo, Texas, DE

#18 Denver Selects: Jerry Peria, Ole Miss, DT

It's really that simple. Fix the D-Line... fix the defense.

Round 2

In the second round, I'm not totally sure what they did, but i think they traded next year's First Rounder to Seattle for the #5 (37 overall). I would NOT have done that. They also have picks at 16 and 32 in the 2nd round... not sure if those were original, or results of trades. But I wouldn't have taken a TE and CB... they play too far away from the ball to make an impact.

Instead, I would've taken more defense up the middle (DT-MLB-Safety) or O-Line.

#16 Denver Selects: Max Unger, Oregon, OT

#32 Denver Selects: Antoine Caldwell, Alabama, OG

I just don't like the Moreno and Smith picks. Between Buckhalter, Arrington, Hillis, and Torrain... they have plenty of talent in the backfield. They actually need more help at WR than RB... assuming Marshall misses a few games. D-Line upgrades would have helped Orton more than Moreno... he's going to be playing from behind every game by the 3rd quarter this year.

Your turn to play GM

I am not a denver fan, but I was shocked by the moreno pick. He may end up being really good, but I would have thought they would have addressed need rather than take the highest rated player on their board which seems to be what they did. I would have thought they would have taken the best defensive player on their board with their first 3 picks. I am surprised you think that they need help with WR. Also, the belichiek system does not need a stud rb. But playing playing devils advocate, NE has Brady and DEN no longer has Cutler. so he may have been trying to get Orton a good running game to lessen the load that he would have to carry.

Now I am a bears fan. My main problem with the draft was the 68 pick. I know everyone is big on Jarron Gilbert, but he was not on anyones radar until 6 months ago. yes, he can jump out of the pool, but I see him as a project with a good upside. My problem with this pick is that DT is not our #1 need. our need is a true #1 WR. I was really hoping that we could get Britt, but he was gone. I was then hoping that robiskie would fall but Cleveland took him to my surprise. Then chung (Saftey) was taken by NE. at this poing I had no problem with them trading down. But I was hoping that they would have drafted Ramses Barden with that pick. He is as much of a project as jarron but to me if it works out he would fill in our #1 need vs our #4 need.

I am not a denver fan, but I was shocked by the moreno pick. He may end up being really good, but I would have thought they would have addressed need rather than take the highest rated player on their board which seems to be what they did. I would have thought they would have taken the best defensive player on their board with their first 3 picks. I am surprised you think that they need help with WR. Also, the belichiek system does not need a stud rb. But playing playing devils advocate, NE has Brady and DEN no longer has Cutler. so he may have been trying to get Orton a good running game to lessen the load that he would have to carry.

Now I am a bears fan. My main problem with the draft was the 68 pick. I know everyone is big on Jarron Gilbert, but he was not on anyones radar until 6 months ago. yes, he can jump out of the pool, but I see him as a project with a good upside. My problem with this pick is that DT is not our #1 need. our need is a true #1 WR. I was really hoping that we could get Britt, but he was gone. I was then hoping that robiskie would fall but Cleveland took him to my surprise. Then chung (Saftey) was taken by NE. at this poing I had no problem with them trading down. But I was hoping that they would have drafted Ramses Barden with that pick. He is as much of a project as jarron but to me if it works out he would fill in our #1 need vs our #4 need.

Its the #68 pick...everyone is a project with a good upside at that point aren't they?

And Dusty is ok...but Gilbert next to Harris could be nasty up the middle.

I liked the pick for them.

I am not sure about the Knox pick as he seems to be a poor man's Hester (small, fast, good on special teams, not a great pure WR)

good topic.

I was absolutely fine with the Jets trading up for Mark Sanchez when I saw what they gave up... a 2nd rounder and 3 role players? I would take that any day. Even if you think Sanchez will bust, the minimal amount they gave up makes it worth the risk in my opinion.

The problem I had was trading away our 3rd 4th and 7th rounders to get the first pick in round 3 and take Shonn Greene. I think this team needed some depth picks and historically we have found some gems in the 4th round. (Leon Washington, Kerry Rhodes).

What would I have done?

Round 1, pick 5 - Mark Sanchez

Round 3, pick 12 - Brandon Tate or Jauquin Iglesias to help at WR, our weakest area.

Round 4, pick 15 - take your pick for depth... Luis Murphy could have given them 2 potential starting WR's in this draft, DJ Moore was still around for CB depth. And if they really felt they needed a RB Andre Brown who the Giants grabbed was still around.

i just personally would have felt better leaving the draft with Sanchez, Brandon Tate and Andre Brown rather than simply Sanchez and Shonn Greene.

Its the #68 pick...everyone is a project with a good upside at that point aren't they?

And Dusty is ok...but Gilbert next to Harris could be nasty up the middle.

I liked the pick for them.

I am not sure about the Knox pick as he seems to be a poor man's Hester (small, fast, good on special teams, not a great pure WR)

Yes, its the 68th pick.. my point is if you are going to take a project, why not take a player that will address your #1 hole if he pans out. If Gilbert pans out he will make our strong DL stronger.. how is that going to help cutler with the offense with the WR's that we got. I really hope that bennett and/or Rideou are diamonds in rough.

This is a fun exercise. For the Redskins:

1.13 - Brian Orakpo, DE (Can't complain here)

3.16 - Kevin Barnes, CB (Again, a good value and nobody else in the round really jumps out at me. If anything, I'd say they should have traded up)

5.22 - Duke Robinson, OG (the Skins need depth on the offensive line and Duke was a great value in the 5th)

6.13 - A.Q. Shipley, OC (Shipley went in the 7th, but would still have been a good value in the 6th)

7.12 - Lydon Murtha, OL (do you see the pattern here yet?)

7.34 - Rashad Jennings, RB (Portis and Betts aren't getting any younger and I had Jennings pegged as a 4th-5th rounder)