Sign in to follow this  
#1LionFan

Would you make a move?

Bought a team and contemplating some moves. Out of a $400M cap, P.Manning (50), Jamal Lewis (47), Portis (90), and Gates (49) takes up much of this cap room. Some are untradable due to salary hit. We start 1 RB/2 WR/3 flex positions.

The previous owner traded the entire 3 rounds of the 2009 rookie draft. What type of draft pick could I get for any of the above players? I could also offer Ginn, Jr. or Hinds Ward.

Also, if no one wants to trade, would you consider dropping Lewis, or even Manning or Gates into the FA pool and get McNabb or Romo much cheeper?

Thanks, leave your link for me!

What about dumping Portis at $90 ?

I wouldn't get rid of Manning.

I was thinking he or Lewis at 47M.

I was thinking he or Lewis at 47M.

Portis has at least 2 years left. I figure Lewis may have one more year, but there is the possibility that he is finished already as there are some hard miles on the odometer.

I'd see if there are any takers for Lewis. You can ask for a first round pick but you probably wont get it unless a team is really desperate for a RB. There is a decent chance you may find someone willing to pay a 2nd round pick for him.

I wouldnt dump manning. his value is still high, and it would appear he's not a huge hit on the salary cap compared to others on your team.

as for grabbing the other players cheaper, I dont know what the format of your draft is, but I'd make it a priority to get a younger RB who can fill the shoes of Portis when hes done.

Portis has at least 2 years left. I figure Lewis may have one more year, but there is the possibility that he is finished already as there are some hard miles on the odometer.

I'd see if there are any takers for Lewis. You can ask for a first round pick but you probably wont get it unless a team is really desperate for a RB. There is a decent chance you may find someone willing to pay a 2nd round pick for him.

I wouldnt dump manning. his value is still high, and it would appear he's not a huge hit on the salary cap compared to others on your team.

as for grabbing the other players cheaper, I dont know what the format of your draft is, but I'd make it a priority to get a younger RB who can fill the shoes of Portis when hes done.

So you would pay $90 out of your $400 cap for Portis?

So you would pay $90 out of your $400 cap for Portis?

I'm not saying hes worth the money. I'm saying he could be the only starter you have at the moment (if you agree that Lewis may be done).

If your league is like most, starting RB's are all kept or protected, and you likely need to take a chance on a rookie or a 3rd Tier RB. I suppose if you are looking to completely gut your team and build from the bottom up (hard to do and time consuming) you may want to dump him or trade him. Otherwise, you will have to suck it up and keep him.

hes still a good player. I'm just not sure hes worth the money at this point in time.

With that being said, at $90 I cant think there would be anybody interested in taking him. I dont know what the rules are with respect to dropping a player and resigning them. In most leagues I've been in, the team who drops a player and his hefty salary is not allowed to resign the player or re-acquire via trade for 1 season. (to prevent other teams from signing him and trading him back to the original owner at a reduced cost to the salary cap)

You also have not said what there is in terms of free agents you can sign. Its easy to say keep a player when you assume all the decent RB's are locked into a contract, but if there are a lot of RB's available, maybe the best choice is to dump him.

Going on the assumption that all the halfway decent RB's are signed, I would advise you to keep portis for one more year, and draft or bid on some RB's on the cheap who have a chance to become starters within the next year or two before dumping him. think of guys like Chris Wells, Donald Brown, or Maybe McCoy. depending on how keen your league is on rookies, these guys may be cheap or expensive, but a guy who will be cheap for sure could be that Greene kid drafted by the Jets in the third round. Jones doesnt have much time left before he is over the hill, so I'm sure they may give him a shot at some point later this season (especially if they miss the playoffs) or early next year to see what he can do.

either way, your team doesnt have to go in the tank if you spend your remaining money wisely. you still have a top tier QB, and a RB who, if healthy still gives you a good chance to win.

honestly, in a league starting only 1 QB, I figured Manning would probably be worth more than $50 and Portis $60-70, but overall, the two players are costing you $140 and those are the two most important positions on your team so your salary is high, but still not that far out of whack. I figure the $50 you save by dumping or trading Lewis will open up some options for you.

This is why I feel that dumping Lewis would make the most sense. anyone in need of a RB who thinks he still has a year or two left will probably give you a draft pick or a prospect for him. (even if it's a crappy pick)

Also, people will trade for gates, but the contract is a bit large for a TE so you may have to accept less than market value if you want to dump that salary.

I'm not sure what else to say. to answer your question properly I really need more information about your league's rules, what kind of players are available if you dump the player in question and what kind of players the league seems to put a premium on.

dump lewis. and as i just told somebody, 60-80% of your money is going to go to 20% of your players. 90 seems steap...but in my league w/a 150 cap LT went for 65 last year(40% of cap)...$90 is only 22%. drop lewis and keep the others. if you have to keep lewis. pick up jerome harrison. he is going to be da man in cleveland.

Would you give Portis at $90 up for the first pick in the rookie draft, which would cost me $60.? My current RBs are Portis-90, D. Ward-2, Lewis-47, Harrison-1, and J. Wright-2. We can start anywhere from 1-3 RBs and 3-5 WRs. I only have Welker-71, H, Ward-28 and Ginn, Jr-14 at WR.

My only other notable players that are working against my salary cap is P. Manning-50, J. Campbell-11, and Gates-47.

If I drafted N. Moreno or Wells this would save me $30 as compared to Portis . I think I could still drop Lewis saving me another $47. This would put me approx. $90 under the cap to go after some decent RBs available on free agency such as Lynch, Addai, E. Graham & WRs such as S. Moss, Walter, and/or Holt amoung others.

I think keeping Portis gives me a better chance to win now but getting Moreno could be big.

Would you give Portis at $90 up for the first pick in the rookie draft, which would cost me $60.? My current RBs are Portis-90, D. Ward-2, Lewis-47, Harrison-1, and J. Wright-2. We can start anywhere from 1-3 RBs and 3-5 WRs. I only have Welker-71, H, Ward-28 and Ginn, Jr-14 at WR.

My only other notable players that are working against my salary cap is P. Manning-50, J. Campbell-11, and Gates-47.

If I drafted N. Moreno or Wells this would save me $30 as compared to Portis . I think I could still drop Lewis saving me another $47. This would put me approx. $90 under the cap to go after some decent RBs available on free agency such as Lynch, Addai, E. Graham & WRs such as S. Moss, Walter, and/or Holt amoung others.

I think keeping Portis gives me a better chance to win now but getting Moreno could be big.

That may be a reasonable deal. Especially in terms of planning for the future. But I wouldnt bet on Moreno having a huge season. Some RB's take up to two years to really become productive.

In the case of Moreno, I'd plan to give him half a season to adjust to the pro game before expecting any kind of big numbers. My bet is he will become the starter by game 6 or 7 and will put up 700-1000 all purpose yards in the remaining games. So if you do this, you will still need to buy another RB in the auction (or trade for one) in case he cant get it done right away.

otherwise, I like the move. If Moreno is as good as expected, your team could be in good shape by this time next year.

Also, if no one wants to trade, would you consider dropping Lewis, or even Manning or Gates into the FA pool and get McNabb or Romo much cheeper?

Thanks, leave your link for me!

Yes id definitely do that. Those guys arent nearly worth the salary they are costing you