Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

PPR Leagues

# of RB's to go in the first 20 picks for PPR  

16 members have voted

1. 1. how many RB's do you expect will go in the first 20 picks for PPR leagues?

• None of these (please comment on this)

Hey guys, the question explains itself.

Please answer based on how you expect a normal PPR league would draft.

also, please comment on the following:

I am in a work league. new startup Keeper league PPR.

never drafted with these guys before, but I expect that most will be knowledgeable to some degree, but one or two likely will be Guppies.

If you think this will seriously affect the poll noted above, please comment on this as well. My expectation is that 1 or 2 non RB's will go earlier than expected based on this, but really I havnt got a clue because I dont know how good my opponents are.

never drafted with these guys before, but I expect that most will be knowledgeable to some degree, but one or two likely will be Guppies.

If you think this will seriously affect the poll noted above, please comment on this as well. My expectation is that 1 or 2 non RB's will go earlier than expected based on this, but really I havent got a clue because I dont know how good my opponents are.

Got a few new guppies to my league too... they make pick certain players way earlier than they are supposed too.. like one year we had a guppy who picked Roethlisburger in the 1st round.. i nearly ###### myself... than he led our league in points in almost won the league cause Burger got him 31tds that year... pure luck... but it happens.....

Guppies can only help all the preparation you have done for the draft though and as long as you base your draft on Value you can't go wrong... because you will be getting great Value in the middle rounds of the draft especially while the guppies are filling roster spots

so they may change up the 1st two rounds.. and things may go unexpectedly like you said.. you have never been in a league with these people before.. but will all the preparation you have done.. that can only be to your advantage... cause they will most likely be filling roster positions while you are drafting for Value with purpose and poise behind each and every pick.. and slowly building up your roster

one thing... random thought... i don't draft kickers.. i just pick them off the waiver wire.. i'd rather pick an unsure thing in the draft and wait and see what happens in the pre-season than waste a spot with a kicker... besides there are always approximately 5 kickers every year that are great waiver wire pickups and even permanent roster pick ups...

Got a few new guppies to my league too... they make pick certain players way earlier than they are supposed too.. like one year we had a guppy who picked Roethlisburger in the 1st round.. i nearly ###### myself... than he led our league in points in almost won the league cause Burger got him 31tds that year... pure luck... but it happens.....

Guppies can only help all the preparation you have done for the draft though and as long as you base your draft on Value you can't go wrong... because you will be getting great Value in the middle rounds of the draft especially while the guppies are filling roster spots

so they may change up the 1st two rounds.. and things may go unexpectedly like you said.. you have never been in a league with these people before.. but will all the preparation you have done.. that can only be to your advantage... cause they will most likely be filling roster positions while you are drafting for Value with purpose and poise behind each and every pick.. and slowly building up your roster

one thing... random thought... i don't draft kickers.. i just pick them off the waiver wire.. i'd rather pick an unsure thing in the draft and wait and see what happens in the pre-season than waste a spot with a kicker... besides there are always approximately 5 kickers every year that are great waiver wire pickups and even permanent roster pick ups...

As far as drafting kickers go, I'd be inclined to go the same route. this league (and my other competitive league) you have to at least draft (or buy in the case of the auction) enough players to fill your starting lineup.

I'm fine with this. it does not affect my strategy.

i voted 'none'.

fitz/megatron/moss/ajohnson/wayne/shrimp will go in the first 20; if its a 10-teamer, and 20th is at the swing, maybe even welker if the owner has a big enough hard-on for him [220recs in 2yrs].

despite the hype, brees should also go in this span.

that's 7 players; allow for at least 1 curveball [brady, jennings, roddy].

i voted 'none'.

fitz/megatron/moss/ajohnson/wayne/shrimp will go in the first 20; if its a 10-teamer, and 20th is at the swing, maybe even welker if the owner has a big enough hard-on for him [220recs in 2yrs].

despite the hype, brees should also go in this span.

that's 7 players; allow for at least 1 curveball [brady, jennings, roddy].

hey that's cool. I want all opinions.

what I'm in the process of doing is calculating a best case scenario and a worst case scenario.

for example:

in an 8 team league, assuming the players go in the order that FFToday has them ranked for PPR, It would appear that the dropoff from the #9 pick (assuming 7 of the first 8 picks are RB's with the other one being the top ranked WR (Fitz) The projected dropoff assuming a Best case scenario where 7 of the next 14 picks are RB's we are looking at a 23 point dropoff but a worst case scenario where 10 of the next 14 are RB's it looks like a drop of 41.9 points.

At the WR position the projected dropoff from AJ at 298 Fantasy points to 246.8 (assuming 8 WR's go in the next 14 picks before you pick again) it looks like a drop of 52 points. worst case scenario is 10 WR's go before I pick again.... a drop to 241.4 (drop of 56.6 points) it would appear that at this point in the draft for an 8 team league, the wise move is to grab a WR.

this poll is to develop my best & worst case scenarios for these projections to determine at what point it makes sense to move from RB to WR.

from what I can guess, the first 5 picks should be RB's after that, you should think about grabbing a WR. I am trying to figure out at what point it makes sense to do this. whether it is at pick 6, 7, or 8 is the key. (No, I do not yet know what my draft position will be)

this way, I can at least do the best I can do in the first couple of rounds where it matters most.

Non RB's that should go in the top 20 : AJ, Moss, Fitz, Calvin, Drew Brees

so 15 is the most RB's that will go. BUT ,any drafts will also see Brady, Wayne, S.Smith and a possible curveball as others mentioned such as Jennings or Roddy.

10-15 is the answer.

so 15 is the most RB's that will go. BUT ,any drafts will also see Brady, Wayne, S.Smith and a possible curveball as others mentioned such as Jennings or Roddy.

10-15 is the answer.

I am guessing there may be one or two Guppies in our draft so I am thinking that Manning & Brady are also possible top 20 players

10-15 is the answer.

Based on the FFToday PPR rankings, With an estimate of 10-14 RB's going in the first 20 of a 10 team PPR draft, it would appear that the top 6 picks should look something like this:

MJD

ADP

Forte

LT

Portis

Fitz

with the possibility that any one of the above picks may go up or down by one or 2 rankings.

does this seem right to you?

I am guessing there may be one or two Guppies in our draft so I am thinking that Manning & Brady are also possible top 20 players

I mentioned Brady. Manning I forgot and I guess would include.

Based on the FFToday PPR rankings, With an estimate of 10-14 RB's going in the first 20 of a 10 team PPR draft, it would appear that the top 6 picks should look something like this:

MJD

ADP

Forte

LT

Portis

Fitz

with the possibility that any one of the above picks may go up or down by one or 2 rankings.

does this seem right to you?

I would have Jackson in there. I think a better place to look is Fantasy Football Calculator.

MJD, ADP, Forte, Jackson, LT, Fitz, Chris Johnson, and someone will take Turner just a matter of when they feel his rushing stats will outweigh the fact he doesn't catch passes.

I mentioned Brady. Manning I forgot and I guess would include.

I would have Jackson in there. I think a better place to look is Fantasy Football Calculator.

MJD, ADP, Forte, Jackson, LT, Fitz, Chris Johnson, and someone will take Turner just a matter of when they feel his rushing stats will outweigh the fact he doesn't catch passes.

I wasnt expressing an opinion on the value of RB's. I'm just trying to figure out at what point it makes sense to draft a WR instead of a RB.

I just took the top 5 projected RB's on FFToday's board for illustration purposes and the top WR on the board. I have yet to tweak them based on my own personal preferences. At this point I am assuming that the FFtoday rankings are accurate projections (which may not necessarily be the case as I do not actually expect forte to go #2 overall... I think a ranking of #4, #5, or #6 is more realistic)

I wasnt expressing an opinion on the value of RB's. I'm just trying to figure out at what point it makes sense to draft a WR instead of a RB.

I just took the top 5 projected RB's on FFToday's board for illustration purposes and the top WR on the board. I have yet to tweak them based on my own personal preferences. At this point I am assuming that the FFtoday rankings are accurate projections (which may not necessarily be the case as I do not actually expect forte to go #2 overall... I think a ranking of #4, #5, or #6 is more realistic)

What are the starting position requirements? If its 2 RB and 3 WR it could make a difference over 2 RB, 2 WR, and a flex. Also Im in a league with a ton of flexibility where we start RB, WR, RB/WR, RB/WR, WR/TE. In this format there may only be 10-12 RB's taken in the first 20 picks. In the other formats I'd say 13-15 is about right.

Right.. Im saying in a PPR i think it makes sense to consider WR after MJD, ADP, Forte, Jackson, and LT at the LEAST. Chris Johnson and Turner could even be ahead of WR's....

there are so many other factors to consider like roster requirements and what WR's you think you could land later... In PPR's id be very happy passing on a WR in round 1 and grabbing Smith or Wayne in round 2 and Welker in round 3... Then maybe taking a chance on a bounceback from Ochicino in round 4 or 5.

What are the starting position requirements? If its 2 RB and 3 WR it could make a difference over 2 RB, 2 WR, and a flex. Also Im in a league with a ton of flexibility where we start RB, WR, RB/WR, RB/WR, WR/TE. In this format there may only be 10-12 RB's taken in the first 20 picks. In the other formats I'd say 13-15 is about right.

Initially there were supposed to be 2 RB 3 WR and 2 QB, but it is looking like the plan has been changed as the league settings say 2 WR, 2 RB and 1 QB.

obviously if you start 3 WR, then it's fair to say WR's will be worth a bit more.

Right.. Im saying in a PPR i think it makes sense to consider WR after MJD, ADP, Forte, Jackson, and LT at the LEAST. Chris Johnson and Turner could even be ahead of WR's....

there are so many other factors to consider like roster requirements and what WR's you think you could land later... In PPR's id be very happy passing on a WR in round 1 and grabbing Smith or Wayne in round 2 and Welker in round 3... Then maybe taking a chance on a bounceback from Ochicino in round 4 or 5.

yeah,

I know what you mean.

If drafting late in the round, I think I go WR-WR and if I draft Early, I grab a RB. otherwise I try to get the best value.

obviously, if drafting late in round one and either LT, Jackson, or Forte fell to me at #8 I'd find it hard not to take my chances even if I wanted to go WR-WR on the turn.

but with this league being somewhat unpredictable, I try to plan for various possibilities. For all I know, there may be some people selecting QB's with their top 5 pick. (which would be pretty funny I think)