Sign in to follow this  
skittles

Updating Compiler/Keeping Custom Rankings

So I want to update my compiler, mainly to have the updated Depth Charts for Draft Day -- but I've done alot of custom moving and re-tiering of things in my Draft Buddy.

If I do an update, will it automatically re-rank, and basically erase all of this re-ranking and re-tiering that I've done?

It you run Setup Draft Buddy again, then it will erase the ranking changes you made and give you the latest cheatsheets from the Compiler. Interesting situation I hadn't really thought of before... you still want the updated ADP and depth charts, but not the cheatsheets from the Compiler, is that right?

Correct. I still love the tool, but would love to see a way to do just this in the future. Perhaps selectively choose what you want to update -- I would just put a checkmark by ADP and Depth Charts.

Conceivably I could do an Update to the Compiler, but NOT run the Draft Buddy Setup again. I'd just stick with my current draft buddy for Draft Day use, but could also have the Compiler open to view Depth Charts and what not. This would work, right? It isn't going to jack around with my rankings/tiers unless I run the Draft Buddy Setup again -- correct?

True, but you'd be better off getting the updated depth charts and adp into Buddy because...

- more convenient

- players fall off of those tabs (depth, adp)

- better performance ... computer could slow down keeping the Compiler open and switching back and forth between the Compiler and Buddy

I'm working on the projection update right now, but I'll come back to this and figure it out. I think we can update those things pretty easily but I need to look at it first so I give proper directions.

Ugh, long night but the projection update is done. If only I could still sleep in like the pre-kid days.

Okay, here is what we're going to do:

1. Open the Compiler. Hit Update Projections.

2. Open Draft Buddy, and on the setup tab switch the option "allow copy-paste between tabs" to On.

3. Go to the Compiler ADP tab, and highlight just the section that applies to your league - 10, 12 or 14 teams. Only highlight the players and their ADP data, not the headings. Hit CTRL-C to copy.

4. Go to the Buddy ADP tab, and see how there are two similar looking tables, a left and a right? The right is the flat data copied from the Compiler (when you run the DB Setup). Click on the appropriate cell to paste the new data from the Compiler right on top of the old data in Buddy. Use Paste Special > As Values.

5. Now repeat the same steps for the depth chart. It should work exactly the same way.

6. Go to the setup tab and change that copy-paste option back to Off.

One thing that may be off I see, is the adp on the cheatsheets will not match the new adp in Buddy. The reason is because the adp on the cheatsheets is copied in from the Compiler, not referenced from the adp tab in Buddy. Since they are normally copied in at the same time, it wasn't necessary to reference one from the other. Feel up to doing a VLOOKUP function?

I'll give this a shot tonight when I get home from work. And the ADP on the cheatsheets is probably the least of my overall concerns. I think I have a solid grasp of everyone's ADP from my 40,000 mock drafts in the last month.

Thanks for your help -- I'll report back with any issues.

As I'm not too concerned with copying the ADP over -- I started with the Depth Charts.

I was unable to do what you were saying above. After updating the compiler, I copied the data (just the top portion first, with no headings from the left or the top -- essentiall "Trent Edwards" through "Olindo Mare".) and then attempted to paste it into my Draft Buddy into the same space. I originally tried pasting it on the "right" portion of the 2 sections of Depth, what you referred to as the flat data section. It gave me a circular error, and didn't paste any of the info in. I then tried it on the left, thinking I misunderstood your instructions, but got the exact same error.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't appear to like all of the Formulas being forced into these cells that currently have no formulas in them.

Whoops, I forgot a key part of point 4., above.

"Use Paste Special > As Values."