Sign in to follow this  
RamslovaMartzhata

Chiefs04 - Welcome to Revis Island

A while back (when Sims Walker played against the Jets) you were stating that Revis (or any corner) does not shadow a team's best WR for a greater portion of the game... I disagreed, and stated that Revis has done it (for the most part... not every play or anything) on several occasions this year. You called it Pee-wee football and then went on to spout off about your DII coaching credentials.

Anyhow:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...tory?id=4707319

One of the core tenets of their scheme this season has Revis shadowing the opposing team's best wide receiver all over the field in man-to-man coverage, in what's become known as Revis Island.

Here's the original thread:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...p;#entry4109904

You can spin it anyway you want, and you can try to take things out of context and say somting stupid like you meant it for the literally every play... but within the confines of the argument as we were discussing it... you were wrong. Just thought I'd broaden your coaching possibilities in case you get a good corner someday that could allow you to really create some crazy schemes on defense.

I think your post sent him to permanent hiding.

:bandana:

Ya, he probably watched Revis all over TO all night last night, in addition to the commentators talking about how he takes out the opposing team's best WR's... and doesn't like the taste of crow.

Anyhow... since we are on the subject... I really watched Revis closely last night just to see how good he is. He seems bigger than your typical corner, and he was all over TO. He did drop an easy interception but he took TO, who had some momentum going and was playing well, and just stopped him cold. And in the post game interview he seemed very well spoken and had the right mix of confidence without being too cocky.

the guy is flat out awesome

I was very excited when the Jets traded up to get him and he has really paid off. Im not discounting guys like Nnamdi, Woodson or Bailey but what cinches Revis as the top corner, to me, is that he shadows 1 guy all game instead of taking away half the field.

on a similar note, the Steelers do this typically with Ike Taylor and he'll matchup vs an enlite WR and follow him all over the field, not restricted to one side. He got eaten up last week, the whole secondary did vs Baltimore, but it's not an unusual practice for CB's with good size and speed that can handle coverage with little help. So your assertion was absolutely correct, and you ran him off!!!

on a similar note, the Steelers do this typically with Ike Taylor and he'll matchup vs an enlite WR and follow him all over the field, not restricted to one side. He got eaten up last week, the whole secondary did vs Baltimore, but it's not an unusual practice for CB's with good size and speed that can handle coverage with little help. So your assertion was absolutely correct, and you ran him off!!!

revis is the top corner in the game and i'm a little mad the jets jumped head of my steelers and got him.

It's not an uncommon practice for pressure defenses that blitz a lot. It's not brain surgery... you are play a lot of man, put your best man on their best man.

I was just amazed that Chiefs04 was so adamant in saying that this didn't occur, and even pulled the (*in dork voice*) "Well I coach DII football," and, "Why don't you actually watch the game," cards. I wasn't even sure that the Jets and Revis did this to be honest... I just assumed it was the case in seeing other players do this in the past at all levels, and from all the talk and numbers of him shutting down opposing, big time WR's.

Then even after he was proven wrong... he started spouting off about standard sets and what not... and then proceeded to tell me that I was laughing at myself. And people even agreed with him.

Anyhow... me and my wanting a little gold star / cookie / being a right freak fetish aside...

:banana:

I wonder how Asomugha would fare in this type of scheme. It's easily between those two as far as who is the best corners in the league (sorry Champ, you're not even in the discussion any more)... but in my impression... what Revis is doing is more impressive. Who cares if you are shutting down one side of the field if the only players on that side of the field are crap. Not to take anything away from Nmandi though, he is indeed a stud.

revis is the top corner in the game and i'm a little mad the jets jumped head of my steelers and got him.

still bothers me as well. a combo of Taylor/Revis would have been sweeeeeeeet. :banana:

That draft and the one before it were VERY good for the Jets.

Revis, David Harris, D'Brick, Mangold and Leon Washington.

That draft and the one before it were VERY good for the Jets.

Revis, David Harris, D'Brick, Mangold and Leon Washington.

i think you'll find that the Sanchez/Shonn Green draft will also turn out to be a strong one...

i think you'll find that the Sanchez/Shonn Green draft will also turn out to be a strong one...

I do too. Sanchez has the mental makeup, I think, to not get too down on himself and to learn from these mistakes.

I live near the Jets training complex and get to hear alot about the players and Sanchez had a great work ethic from the moment he arrived.

for that matter you might want to put aliquippa,pa. on the map they produce more talent than most entire states combined.

ty law,sean gilbert,darrell revis, tony dorsett, mike ditka and many others .

I was just amazed that Chiefs04 was so adamant in saying that this didn't occur, and even pulled the (*in dork voice*) "Well I coach DII football," and, "Why don't you actually watch the game," cards.

Then even after he was proven wrong... he started spouting off about standard sets and what not... and then proceeded to tell me that I was laughing at myself. And people even agreed with him.

Paging Chiefs04

:headbanger: