Sign in to follow this  
scherber830

Michael Bush

Michael Bush.

For the past few years now, we've all been intrigued by the big man who can run. Now that injury is behind him, the problem is that he shares the backfield with Darren McFadden, Al Davis' man crush.

I want to know if this is the year when Bush separates himself as the true No. 1 RB for the Raiders. Or do we see more of the same: Al Davis basically ensuring that DMC gets his opportunity as more than simply a Reggie Bush type?

What do you guys think?

Is Mike Bush a legit RB2 or not?

I like Bush this yr but I prefer having him as a #3 RB. He has been the best RB in Oakland the last several yrs so he should be able to get more carries than McFadden. However, they will still split the carries.

He'll be on a lot of my teams this year. If one of the Oakland RBs gets 60% of the carries, he'll probably be an RB2, and I think Bush is more likely to be that guy. Even if he ends up on the short side, he'll probably be a decent bye week filler. Lots of upside.

He's in a RBBC with Darren McFadden. McFadden has only played 9 games in his career where he's gotten 10 carries or more. He's missed 7 games in 2 seasons due to injury, and was very ineffective in other games because he was playing hurt.

The Raiders ran the ball 410 times last year. Lets go crazy, and assume Bush gets 60% of those carries, because he can stay healthy better than McFadden. And lets assume he averages 4.8 ypc like last year. If you can do simple multiplication, its not crazy to project 1180 yards for Bush this year.

The Raiders ran the ball 410 times last year. Lets go crazy, and assume Bush gets 60% of those carries, because he can stay healthy better than McFadden. And lets assume he averages 4.8 ypc like last year. If you can do simple multiplication, its not crazy to project 1180 yards for Bush this year.

Only 360 of those were actually to the RBs, but they went for 400+ RB rushes the year before. I too can see 400ish carries and 220-240 to the lead guy. The Raiders looked to have improved a fair amount in the offseason (even besides dumping Mr. Purple Drank), so more running seems reasonable. The only reason one of McFadden or Bush isn't going in the 4rd round is the uncertainty about who does what.

I would not be surprised to see the Raiders run about 500 times this year. They have a solid defense and their QB will not cough up the ball over and over and over and over and over x 1000 times. Not to mention they have a fairly soft run defense schedule.

So 1200 yards for Bush is quite possible. Maybe 7-8 TD's wtih the potential for quite a few more. This team is going to surprise. Seriously, BigMacRussel was a turn over machine and a drive killer.

Doug's article on this site with intensive stat projection has Bush at 1195-9-23-190. I have yet to see that predicted anywhere else but I agree with the possibilty as does this thread so far. Not bad for an RB2. I'm in a 5 guy keeper league with the second pick and think I might go Bush over Best and some reasonable others. Even Matthews projections in same article are like 1080-8 ??? Which would be pretty good.Not sure why RM is like a top 15 pick and Bush is ADPin' in the 80's. Talk about value. OAK could play very well this year-relatively speaking- this kid is young but NFL experienced already and a great player who broke his leg in college and then got stuck in a really weird spot. Not unreasonable to think he out performs MAtthews and alot of others this season and a very good to great keeper.

I've been holding him on one of my rosters ever since he was a rookie, so obviously I'm hoping he blows up, but I'm really waiting for next year when he's a free agent and goes to a real team. One thing bugs me from last year. The coaching staffed seemed downright schizo on which RB they would use week to week, so even if he rocks and rolls this year, he'll probably have some dud games. I don't think that's safe enough to use as a number 2 consistently. Good news is Fargas is out of the picture so that should free up about another 125 touches for McFadden and Bush to split which is nice.

Darren McFadden (hamstring) is not expected to play in the Raiders' preseason opener Thursday night.clear.gifThis will give Michael Bush a chance for a firmer grip on the battle to start at tailback. McFadden has been sidelined since Saturday. The injury isn't thought to be serious, but competing players can't afford to miss much time.

Aug. 9 - 11:01 p.m. ET