Sign in to follow this  
Jeepz

Gore at the 4th Pick?

So I've got the fourth pick in my 10-team PPR snake draft. It's possible that AP will be there for me, and I am just not an AP fan. I'm not a Vikes fan, I won't really watch many of their games, and he as a player just doesn't excite me. I can't pin it down, I'm just not a fan.

I've got Gore as my 5th ranked RB. Is he really 44 points off of AP? And even if he is, that's only an average of ~3pts/game. Would I be crazy to take Gore and his schedule over AP (or even MJD) at the fourth pick? It's my family league, bragging rights at the holidays and all that, so it's not cut throat. But I still wanna win.

Pick Gore and feel better about yourself.

Peterson falling to 5th in the Fam League. Aunt Judy will be cleaning up!:banana:

With SF signing Westbrook I think this is too much of a gamble at #4. I moved Gore behind Turner in my rankings.

So I've got the fourth pick in my 10-team PPR snake draft. It's possible that AP will be there for me, and I am just not an AP fan. I'm not a Vikes fan, I won't really watch many of their games, and he as a player just doesn't excite me. I can't pin it down, I'm just not a fan.

I've got Gore as my 5th ranked RB. Is he really 44 points off of AP? And even if he is, that's only an average of ~3pts/game. Would I be crazy to take Gore and his schedule over AP (or even MJD) at the fourth pick? It's my family league, bragging rights at the holidays and all that, so it's not cut throat. But I still wanna win.

There are two different ways to look at this--on the one hand, AP is ranked 1st or 2nd by just about everyone for a reason. He has been consistently rock solid since he came into the league, rushing for over 1300 yards with double digit Tds every year he has played. Compare that to Gore, who has only had one season over 1300 yards rushing (out of 5), and has only had double digit Tds once in his career. Clearly, past performance points to Adrian Peterson being the higher draft pick.

But, on the other hand, you always need to remember that you are drafting your team, and you should select the guys that you feel most comfortable drafting, not necessarily based on whether an "expert" or the consensus says to. The litmus test on whether or not you should "reach" to select Player X in round Y is when you can reasonably conclude that, unless you take Player X in the given round, he will not make it back to your next selection. In this case, Gore certainly fits that criteria, as there would be no way you could expect him to make it back to you in round 2.

So, it boils down to how badly you want Gore on your team---if you like him enough and think he will outpoint AP, then go ahead and take him---just be prepared for the guy picking fifth to mess his pants if Peterson falls that far.

For the record, I would take Peterson without giving it a thought---I would be shocked if he was available at 4, however...

Something you just said, fantasymind, just made my decision for me. It's not that I really want Gore, it's just that I'm not a huge AP fan. I don't want to reach for Gore simply knowing he won't be there in the second round, I was just reaching to reach, I guess.

Thinking this way, about reaching for a player I really want, I'm more likely to reach for AJ with the fourth pick and get someone like Greene or Mendenhall with my second pick. THAT would be a reach for a player I really want and know I won't get otherwise.

Here's hoping Rice falls to my fourth pick, THAT'S the guy I really want.

Something you just said, fantasymind, just made my decision for me. It's not that I really want Gore, it's just that I'm not a huge AP fan. I don't want to reach for Gore simply knowing he won't be there in the second round, I was just reaching to reach, I guess.

Thinking this way, about reaching for a player I really want, I'm more likely to reach for AJ with the fourth pick and get someone like Greene or Mendenhall with my second pick. THAT would be a reach for a player I really want and know I won't get otherwise.

Here's hoping Rice falls to my fourth pick, THAT'S the guy I really want.

Now your talking---I could definitely see the argument in taking a 100+ reception threat at pick 4 in a ppr league---you would likely still be able to grab two quality backs in the second and third to pair up with him (likely 2 of Greene, Mendenhall, Charles, Deangelo, Mathews, Grant)---or, you could pair Andre with a guy like Roddy White and then hope to draft some Rb gems later---either way, I endorse this plan more than I would the Gore over AP plan...

PPR league, do you get points per completion? why not take Rodgers or Brees. If you don't like AP and feel Gore is a reach, there are a few other backs that can be had in round 2 but having a top QB might be worth the 4th pick

The only good reason not to take Peterson there would be that you legit think another back you couldn't get in the next round will outscore him. I would take him anyway, given the huge trade value he'd have. "I don't watch Vikings games" is invalid if there's money on the line.

Which team do you watch? Just take their kicker. That way, you can cheer for every P.A.T.

Seriously? There is NO REASON to not take AP, if he is there at 4!!! NO REASON!

As I said from the outset, my question wasn't from an fantasy strategy as much as if AP fell to me, I just simply didn't want him, so was Gore (or AJ) an option.

Just finished my draft. Fortunately for me AP went with the third pick and left with with MJD :doublethumbsup:

Gore has been dropping crazy in the ADP in my league. I've seen him go from 3rd overall in the early drafts to now mid-2nd round. Granted we are a QB heavy league, but there is no reason that Gore goes in the second. I guess we're starting to get the easy money entering the contest.

I just saw a guy get Ray Rice followed up with Gore in the second round. His QBs suck, but I'd ride that RB combo any day....

Don't worry about it. Any 10-teamer where AD falls to #4/5 is going to be a cake walk anyway. Take who you want in the first and dominate the draft the rest of the way.