Sign in to follow this  
GMENMANIA

My devious plan

Well, my opponent this week has a few players on bye, including Matt Schaub, Braylon Edwards, and his kicker. His backup QB is Chad Henne, who plays the Steelers this week and is WR corps include Davone Bess, Deion Branch, Devery Henderson, and Devin Hester. Very weak, although his RBs are Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and MJD. His two TEs are Tony Gonzo and Jeremy Shockey. Our league starts 2RB, 1 RB/WR, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE and is PPR-Performance scoring style.

My team is very solid and I am #2 in points scored, however I'm at 3-3 in a division that is gridlocked with everyone within a game of each other. I desperately need to win this week because I play the first and third leading scorers over the next two weeks, so I'll be happy to go 1-1 over that span, especially since I have a few studs with byes on those two weeks.

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning

RB: Frank Gore, Ahmad Bradshaw, Marshawn Lynch, Darren McFadden, Tim Hightower

WR: Greg Jennings, Jeremy Maclin, Mike Williams (TB), Michael Crabtree, Dwayne Bowe, Johnny Knox

TE: Dallas Clark, Brent Celek

D: The Steel Curtain

K: Nate Kaeding

My question is, should I make a move at the best QB available on waivers to ensure that my opponent has to start an inferior QB this week? The top 5 waiver options are:

Kevin Kolb (JAX)

Brett Favre (@GB) (don't really see Favre as very valuable going forward).

Matt Cassel (@TEN)

Matt Hasselbeck (ARI)

Josh Freeman (STL)

David Garrad (@PHI)

I'm only really willing to drop Kaeding, but he might not play this week anyway. I'm not particularly interested in dropping any of my receivers yet, especially since I can start up to 4 of them a week.

I think that Kolb is the top option, but Cassel might post some good numbers this week as well. The other guy would certainly get an upgrade over Henne with any of these guys this week, but is there enough of a drop-off between Kolb and Cassel this week for me to drop Kaeding? Also, the fact that a few starting kickers are on bye, so the pool will be thinned if I have to replace Kaeding. The available options are:

Matt Prater (DEN)

Graham Gano (WAS)

Dan Carpenter (MIA)

David Akers (PHI)

I'm sure that Prater and either Gano or Akers will be gone after waivers clear, since two other teams need a kicker this week. I don't really take too much stock in kickers tho, I got Kaeding for $1 in our auction and it might as well have been any other top 15 kicker. I was just nominating kickers at one point later in the draft to get some idiots to burn $2-$3 on a kicker.

Oh, and if you're wondering about my kicker slot for the week, I would just drop Kolb (or whoever I pick up) to waivers Sunday morning so that they can't be picked up until the next week. I would just pick up whatever kicker I could and hope Kaeding is there next week / not really care about my kicker spot.

Do it. It may not help you much--he might even value a different QB more than Kolb (the Favre-Moss connection is tempting against an injured Packers team)--but it's worth a shot. Grab the best QB. Losing Kaeding is nothing to worry about...other people will be dropping their bye week kickers over the next few weeks so you'll get a chance to replace him if you need to.

Do it. It may not help you much--he might even value a different QB more than Kolb (the Favre-Moss connection is tempting against an injured Packers team)--but it's worth a shot. Grab the best QB. Losing Kaeding is nothing to worry about...other people will be dropping their bye week kickers over the next few weeks so you'll get a chance to replace him if you need to.

I'd definitely pickup Kevin Kolb. Even if you're wrong, doing the move costs you nothing.

Thanks for mine.

In my league, we have a rule called the "Cheesy Scumbag Rule" and the rule is against doing things like that. You dont need another QB for ur team and picking up guys off the WW SPECIFICALLY so another owner cant cant get him is a cheesy scumbag manuver. You may think its good strategy, but what it actually is, is showing the other owners your scared. Scared that you didnt draft a good enuff team to win without having to try and manipulate another owners team. You need to worry about your own team and manage your own team and let the other owners manage theirs. Let the cards fall where they may.There is somethig to be said for fair play!

We pay 150 bucks for our teams every year and first place gets 950 bucks in December, so its well worth playing for and we dont have stuff like that going on. Besides, thats too tempting for the karma train to come steaming thru, in my opinion!!

Do it. yo could probably just drop Hightower so you can keep Kaeding, with how hightower is playing kaeding is probably worth more. theres no scumbag rule in your league, do what it takes to win.

Ya, I hate when people cry about stuff like that. It's all about doing what you can to win. That guy could have had Kolb if he didn't pick up whoever he last got (because he would have had a higher waiver order) or if he actually had some foresight. Kolb has been sitting on waivers since I dropped him a while back for Eli. Oh, and I made the move. It turns out that the guy I'm playing did actually put a claim on Kolb but obviously didn't get him. He still hasn't picked up another QB but will probably pick up Cassel. Thanks for all the comments though!

If anyone wants to give me one more piece of advice, http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=374378 Preciate it.

Ya, I hate when people cry about stuff like that. It's all about doing what you can to win. That guy could have had Kolb if he didn't pick up whoever he last got (because he would have had a higher waiver order) or if he actually had some foresight. Kolb has been sitting on waivers since I dropped him a while back for Eli. Oh, and I made the move. It turns out that the guy I'm playing did actually put a claim on Kolb but obviously didn't get him. He still hasn't picked up another QB but will probably pick up Cassel. Thanks for all the comments though!

If anyone wants to give me one more piece of advice, http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=374378 Preciate it.

Do whatever it takes to win huh? Is that how " real men" compete? Sportsmanship and fair play is for pussies huh? Ya know it's funny, I would bet my lifes savings that " do whatever it takes to win" is not what u teach your kids.

Well, I suppose it really IS the other owners fault that your not confident in your own fantasy football abilities to draft and manage a team without having to manipulate other owners teams. In fact, you probably deserve even MORE money or braggin rights or whatever, because you actually managed 2 or 3 or 4 teams at once. Do whatever it takes to win? That's just a bunch of macho ######

Bullshit that insecure little men like to recite to make them feel all big and strong and manly. I bet you and your league sit around on Sundays drinking and grunting like Tim the Toolman Taylor cavemen.

Have fun in your "REAL MAN" league picking up and then dropping guys so nobody ever really can use the WW. You can do thAt ###### every week. Where does it stop?

Lemme know when ur ready to put on the big boy underwear and reign confident in ur own abilities and then take ur losses like a man when the chips don't fall ur way and you lose a couple. Then you can say" I made the best decisions I could, it just didn't work out". That's the way the world works junior.

Wow... First and foremost, I think you may need a fresh tampon. I'll overnight you one if you want.

Ok. I don't really know why this is such a huge offense. You are right that I want to be able to say that I made the best decisions I could with the information I had at the end of the season. That's my goal for most things in life. However, fantasy sports are about strategy and exploitation, like most strategic gambling games. To reference your poker analogy, when I'm playing a cash game I have a strategy for the table and exploit any flaws in my opponents' strategies or lapses in concentration. I'm not going to tell another guy at the table what flaws I've detected in his approach and will probably use to my advantage in the future. I'll also sometimes show a big bluff if I know it will send my opponent over the edge. I will especially make this move if I know the person will donk away another buy-in or two while he's steaming, hoping that I get a piece of that action.

If a large sum of money is on the line, I will certainly play within the rules as I am a generally an honest and humble person. I will, however, try to use my brain to figure out creative and productive ways to win. Sorry that I struck such a nerve, apparently.

I get what ur saying for the moat part, however, with poker, bluffing is part of the game and generally not considered bad form to do. Not Revealing tells is also something that's part of the game. You don't see NFL teams get a guy off waivers that they DON'T need to ensure a division Rival doesn't get him. It's just assinine.

And my bad for such a vigorous posting, but yeah, it does strike a nerve. I have played in a league where my stud TE got hurt and I go to get the beat option off the waiver wire and some douche has already got him even though HIS stud tight end is fine, already had his bye AND had another back up already on the bench. So he puts a third TE on his team, that he clearly doesn't need, JUST so I couldn't get him. And I would have gotten to the WW sooner, but I had stuff like, oohhhhhhhhhh, I don't know...........WORK to worry about. Inconsequential things, I know but something I thought was important.

That's my reasoning. So, if you don't have a need on your team for a player, then it's just straight BS to have him. One mans opinion, thata all!!

I think if you would drop Tim Hightower to pickup Kevin Kolb, AND roster him FOR THE WEEK, this is a perfectly acceptable move. I often make speculative pickups on guys with 1 or 2 week upside, especially if I see my opponent has a hole at that position. But I do not think you should be allowed to pick up a guy and drop him to waivers within the same week. What would stop you from doing this with multiple QB's, to the point that your opponenent has no other options left? I do not think leagues should allow this. If you pick up a guy and drop him within the same week, he should NOT go to waivers, and should still be available to the rest of the league.

I say take the "Picking up a guy so my opponent can't" philosophy a step further...Let's say your top Qb is on a bye and a buddy of yours in the league has two strong options at QB...Would it be ok to trade for one of those two Qbs for this week only, with the intention of trading back the following week? In essence, isn't this the same general principle...renting a guy for a week to gain an advantage over your opponent? The only difference is, the points would be used for you, as opposed to your original query where the points are kept from your opponent...both cases, not cool...Play your team and let the other guy do the same...

I say take the "Picking up a guy so my opponent can't" philosophy a step further...Let's say your top Qb is on a bye and a buddy of yours in the league has two strong options at QB...Would it be ok to trade for one of those two Qbs for this week only, with the intention of trading back the following week? In essence, isn't this the same general principle...renting a guy for a week to gain an advantage over your opponent? The only difference is, the points would be used for you, as opposed to your original query where the points are kept from your opponent...both cases, not cool...Play your team and let the other guy do the same...

This